Forge bow advice needed

Hey all, I have a Forge Bowe that’s probably just over 20 years old. It was my dad’s. I killed one deal with it when I was graduating high school. I didn’t shoot it again till The past two years when I got a couple of updated pieces of equipment on it and new strings. Unfortunately work got busy and I didn’t have time to hunt or shoot consistently. This year I am Able to commit more time but wanted some advice before season starts. My main question is should I continue with this old bow and old technology Or sell it and get a new one? My understanding is that Forge made great bows out of Wisconsin but I am not sure if they are still in business as their website is fairly nonexistent.My second concern is the drawl length of 30 inches. Me being 5 foot six and reading on the forums that seems like a long drawl length for me. My third concern is the dry weight. I have to have it turned all the way down to be able to pull it back more than a handful of times. I assume that would get better as my strength and proves but my concern is if I have to struggle to pull it back my phone will be off and I will be in bad habits.

Any advice is welcome. Thanks so much, Ryan

Draw length of 30 inches
Draw weight of 60 to 70 pounds
It is left-handed.

I am about 5’6” tall.

Sight - HHA optimizer
Rest - zero effect by muzzy
Quiver - tight spot 3 arrow

a0817698638dce8a46f19f58675f7e13.jpg

e7287ef383376b2352377e89482d595a.jpg

0a0233bbccb6bfe0e3466fcf4bfbe71a.jpg

0f9a643ab46af7b6e2d8b776271bb59f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zac

WKR
Definitely don't draw it back. If you want to use it take it to a pro shop. It will need strings, and cables. They will look it over and see if it can be fitted to you. A newer bow would definitely be better. The answer whether you should buy new or not depends on your budget.

OP
ryjack70ss
Definitely don't draw it back. If you want to use it take it to a pro shop. It will need strings, and cables. They will look it over and see if it can be fitted to you. A newer bow would definitely be better. The answer whether you should buy new or not depends on your budget.

Thanks. As stated I got new strings and cables 2 years ago and maybe have 100 arrows on them.

OR Archer

WKR
If you’re 5’6” I would bet $1k that the 30” draw doesn’t fit you. Honestly it’s worth more sentimental value wise than dollar wise. I’d bite the bullet and get a bow fitted to you. You’ll be amazed at the night and day difference in accuracy and how much quieter a newer bow is.

OP
ryjack70ss
If you’re 5’6” I would bet $1k that the 30” draw doesn’t fit you. Honestly it’s worth more sentimental value wise than dollar wise. I’d bite the bullet and get a bow fitted to you. You’ll be amazed at the night and day difference in accuracy and how much quieter a newer bow is.

Thanks!!! That’s what I need to hear. Everything I see in shops around me are big box stores and have a bunch of ready to hunt. I assume my sight and quiver are just fine. I am also limited with shooting wrong handed, I mean left handed. Any pointers where to start on getting something at a reasonable price and knowing it will fit me? Also, if I get rid of this bow, how much should I ask for it?

OR Archer

WKR
Search your area for a reputable shop. Avoid box stores for buying a bow. Going to someone who specializes in archery will help you put your best foot forward.
You can definitely reuse the sight and quiver. Possibly the arrows as well to save a little bit of money.

Rob5589

WKR
Thanks!!! That’s what I need to hear. Everything I see in shops around me are big box stores and have a bunch of ready to hunt. I assume my sight and quiver are just fine. I am also limited with shooting wrong handed, I mean left handed. Any pointers where to start on getting something at a reasonable price and knowing it will fit me? Also, if I get rid of this bow, how much should I ask for it?

It's not even the correct hand for you. Get a new bow. As far as selling, find a lefty in need of a usable bow and just give it to them.

OP
ryjack70ss
It’s left handed. I shoot left handed. Some say I shoot wrong handed because everything is made for righties. I guess my sarcasm was lost.

Rob5589

WKR
It’s left handed. I shoot left handed. Some say I shoot wrong handed because everything is made for righties. I guess my sarcasm was lost.

Flew right over. I'd still get something new, or new'ish. You'll find a significant improvement in shootability in a more modern set up.

OP
ryjack70ss
Thanks everyone. Seems like the consensus is drop some coin. Off to the bow shop.