Forgive my flatlander stupidity.

Checking some spots on G earth and Im wondering how much elevation in what distance is more than a guy wants to tackle normally? For example 1k feet in half a mile seems steep to me but living in the Midwest its not like I have even a decent reference to compare anything too.

No, that's not too bad, unless you're having to bushwhack the whole way. Coming back down that pitch, with a heavy pack, can beat the shit out of your knees though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Its almost a 20deg angle, you'll feel it at altitude esp. with a load but its not sliding down it steep.

Edit: sorry brain fart, thought it was 1k in 1mi.

Last edited:
Change your terrain to 1.3 and then use the tilt feature to get a little better idea visually.
But hard to say an exact formula for what's to steep. Depends on veg, rocks, your fitness etc.

Checking some spots on G earth and Im wondering how much elevation in what distance is more than a guy wants to tackle normally? For example 1k feet in half a mile seems steep to me but living in the Midwest its not like I have even a decent reference to compare anything too.

Above 8000' that next 1000' in a half mile will make you sound like you've COPD. Don't believe you can cover it quickly, once at elevation you must slow everything down, break frequently and listen to your body. It is easy to over-exert yourself on a seemingly easy trail. It's happened to me...thought i was fine and BAM! Hit a wall that nearly knocked me out. I never saw it coming. What elevations are you gonna be doing this in? If venturing into thin air i highly recommend you start taking these a few days before and throughout your trip. Amazon.com: Altitude Advantage: Health & Personal Care

It's 34% slope on average. Not the steepest by any means but, it ain't flat. And mountains don't run perfect angles. Meaning there is going to be some pretty steep areas in that 1/2 mile. Take your time and, you will be fine. God Bless

No map scouting can prepare you for when you actually see it....lol. It is a bit intimidating at first, but you'll get used to it.

elkyinzer

WKR
Where I have elk hunted the past couple times, to get to where we hunt it's about 2000' elevation gain over 1 mile, so average 45% slope. There are short stretches where it is much worse than that, it's borderline rock climbing. And there are sheer cliffs in either direction if you take a wrong turn. We did that every morning we hunted that area and it takes us (including my 50-some year old dad) a little over an hour to climb, and we are in good athletic shape but certainly aren't gym rats or supermarathon athletes. We take it slow and take a couple short breaks, the worst thing you can do is to try to go too fast, then you blow all your stamina.

Is it fun...hell no. But there are elk up there. Does it cut down on the amount of other hunters you see up there? I think it absolutely does as I have seen one boot track and scant other evidence of other guys. That's why we do it.

The important part, safety wise, is that you have to pick your routes carefully, and be a good enough navigator to ensure you don't get yourself in a pinch where you're cliffed off on all sides. It's particularly butthole clenching in the dark, which we didn't even attempt until we did it a few times in the daylight. Going down is much more dangerous than going up, go slow, zig-zag or switchback, and when (not if) you fall, be damn sure that you keep your center of gravity such that you fall backwards and slide on your ass, not go forward ass over elbows.

mod700

Lil-Rokslider
My construction Master is in the truck, but figure its a little less than a 5/12 roof pitch,.. something you should be able to visualize. Add some elevation, and some blow-down/brush, it can get your heart rate up. (5' elevation gain in 13.2' horizontal/ run)
Mike

desertcj

WKR

My thoughts are 1k over 1/2 mile...no problem, just pace yourself. BUT, how many of those 1k/half miles are back to back? I've done 7000ft to 11000ft over 4 or 5 miles which is half the slope you are talking about and it's no Joke. At least I wasn't laughing at the time...lol

cnelk

WKR
What elevation are you starting at?

BIG difference if youre starting out at 10k compared to 5k

Bar

Banned
1000' in a half mile is pretty steep. Something i'd try and avoid, but i'm an old fart now. As was said, coming down can be worse.

OP
G
My construction Master is in the truck, but figure its a little less than a 5/12 roof pitch,.. something you should be able to visualize. Add some elevation, and some blow-down/brush, it can get your heart rate up. (5' elevation gain in 13.2' horizontal/ run)
Mike

Now we're talking as I humped many a shingle when I was younger! Elevation shouldn't be an issue I don't think as most places around there top out at 6500 to 6800ft. Ive been doing around 15mi a week lugging 40-45 lbs.

I like slopes that run about 23-25% grade on average for my hunts but usually that is over the course of miles. Somebody else said that is about 34% so I guess for 1/2 mile I would probably be ok with it but if it kept that grade for long I'd find a new spot or new approach

sneaky

"DADDY"
Mike
better go get your construction master. It's way steeper than a 5/12 pitch. 1k feet in half a mile is 1000/2640 or 1/2.64 feet or 37.84%

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Here is an example of a 1200' elevation gain in a half mile. I do this hike several times a week when training for my mountain hunts. It is on a trail so there is zero bushwhacking, and it's not straight up-and-down like the line shows but, there are no switchbacks and the trail is pretty straight. To go from 1700' -2900' takes me roughly 45 minutes (I'm usually at the top, 3100' in under an hour), with a 30-35 lb. pack on my back. I won't say it's easy but I'm also 49 years old and not in the greatest shape. If I was starting this hike out at 6000' and having to go over obstacles, there's no way in hell I'd be able to do it in 45 minutes.
e83b3d53394d7c2fe0f35bbdcd722adb.png

mod700

Lil-Rokslider
better go get your construction master. It's way steeper than a 5/12 pitch. 1k feet in half a mile is 1000/2640 or 1/2.64 feet or 37.84%

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Hmmm... 1/2.64 feet is the same as 5' in 13.2,... 4-9/16" in 12" roof pitch, 20.75 degrees (pitch).
Mike