Forgiving bow. What to buy? Vxr vs revolt x vs ??

Wodez

FNG
I’m in the market for a new bow.
After some research I was settled on either a vxr or revolt x. I hoped to go shoot both to decide which to buy but my only local shop doesn’t stock bowtech. A little disappointed.
So now I am not sure what else I should consider to shoot next to the vxr.
The main thing I have been looking for is some extra forgiveness, which both the vxr and revolt apparently have a bit of extra technology to help with my average form.
What other bows should I consider?

Sammymusi

WKR
I have the vxr i would say its not too forgiving but thats just me . I absolutely love the bow but definitely took some grip adjusting. Now the triax was forgiving. My buddy has the revolt x and loves it. I shot it just didn't have that umpf like my vxr does.

krohboy

WKR
My biggest recommendation is to go with the VXR due to the fact your local shop carries it. In the case of warranty work and such I always stick to bows that have dealers I trust in the area. I would shoot all the bows your local shop has and go from there.

I have a VXR 31.5 and I really enjoy it over my last Bowtech.

Zac

WKR
You need to chill for a while and wait for the new models to come out. That way you can get the VXR at a discount, or you can get the newer model. The VXR is not a forgiving bow. It's fairly short ATA, and it's pretty short brace height as well. The longer the bow is, and the larger the brace, the more forgiving. The more forgiving the slower the speeds. So you need to manage those two factors. If you simply want the most forgiving setup you will end up with a target bow. If you want the most speed you have a Turbo of some kind. I think the PSE NXT is probably at the dead center of those two spectrums. Good ATA, and good brace height with decent speeds. I'm not hating on the VXR, I shoot one. Best nock travel in the business.

chasewild

WKR
What kind of release do you shoot?

If you shoot tension, what is your break weight?

I bought the Traverse and I shoot a tension release with a heavy breaking weight. I couldn't shoot that bow to save my soul. Went back to the Elite E35 (Ritual 35 is the current model) and my groups shrank by 30-40%. The limb stops worked better for me than the cable stops because of how hard I pull into the wall.

Rob5589

WKR
Forgiving to me is; ata 2" or longer than your draw length, brace height of 6.5" or more, a reasonable valley that doesn't shoot forward at the slightest bit of relaxation.

Zac

WKR
What kind of release do you shoot?

If you shoot tension, what is your break weight?

I bought the Traverse and I shoot a tension release with a heavy breaking weight. I couldn't shoot that bow to save my soul. Went back to the Elite E35 (Ritual 35 is the current model) and my groups shrank by 30-40%. The limb stops worked better for me than the cable stops because of how hard I pull into the wall.
Levi talks about this as well. He rolls his hand with a hinge. I found that limb stops worked well for a tension activated release, while the spongy Hoyt wall worked well for pulling through with a hinge.

Zac

WKR
Forgiving to me is; ata 2" or longer than your draw length, brace height of 6.5" or more, a reasonable valley that doesn't shoot forward at the slightest bit of relaxation.
Only thing I would disagree with is the valley. The more demanding valley the more forgiving the bow. I think people confuse comfort with forgiveness. Low let off is always going to keep you honest on the wall.

chasewild

WKR
Levi talks about this as well. He rolls his hand with a hinge. I found that limb stops worked well for a tension activated release, while the spongy Hoyt wall worked well for pulling through with a hinge.
Ulmer also talked about it as well.

Reactions: Zac
Just curious what do you consider forgiving? Does forgiving mean easy to keep the pin settled on target? Or forgiving of minor mistakes?

OP
W

Wodez

FNG
I just shoot a wrist strap.
Forgiving meaning better accuracy. Both easy to settle pins and forgiving to bad form would be great if there is such a thing

I can’t recall exactly but I do remember reading a review or seeing a YouTube review On the vxr that said something about the way the riser bridged helped with accuracy/forgiveness.

I spoke to the shop and they said their next best seller was the prime series.

Zac

WKR
There is some truth to the riser length being more stable. In the end overall length wins. As far as your release goes, it doesn't matter what kind of stops you use if your just hanging out on your wall and activating a trigger. Dynamic shooters are going to be much more specific on how the wall feels, and what level of letoff they need.

Zac

WKR
Doubtful Bowtech can top the Revolt X for 2021. Its a shooter with nothing to improve on that i can feel or see.
I don't think we'll see anything super innovative from any of the companies this year. Covid ruined that.

sndmn11

WKR
Reckoning is an impressive shooter for sure. However, its a bit long for a hunting bow. I love it for 3D tho.

Mine seems to be no issue at all for me in the dark timber....
I just have to keep it away from my Michelina.
Deflex riser, aluminum pockets, 7" brace height, dead lock cams. Everything about the bow is designed for forgiveness leading into consistent accuracy.

Reckoning is an impressive shooter for sure. However, its a bit long for a hunting bow. I love it for 3D tho.

It is a bit cumbersome. I use mine for 3D and mule deer/antelope where I want be able to shoot further. Anything out of a blind/tree stand or elk camp I use my Realm or recurve.

However I did use the Reckoning in my blind and the results were as expected. It did, however, put a big doe on the ground.