Forloh Method Backpack Test and Review Complete on Page 2

aion2come

WKR
Thanks for the summary review. I would have appreciated a full review. I get the Forloh is a sponsor, but I also think what makes this site great is that there is just honest feedback, without trying to fit marketing narratives. I think the site is diminished when full reviews are given only when positive things can be said. After all, Forloh came on and made big claims on here. If they haven't done their homework, that is on them. But what makes me come to Rokslide for gear reviews is the honesty without the marketing fluff. I'd encourage you to post the full review, and whenever Forloh makes changes, post a followup. It is very clear this went to market without testing with a focus only on trying to generate quick cash flow with little concern for delivering a quality product to the customer. In the end, I trust Forloh less ... and Rokslide a bit less too if full reviews will be filtered until they can be positive.

aion2come

WKR
I live in Bentonville Arkansas with a self-measured 19” torso.

I say self-measured because it’s hard to be sure of the measurement without a second set of eyeballs. I measured from the top of the iliac crest to the vertebrae that protrudes atop the shoulders thanks to the Google’s .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Go check out Jootti in downtown Bentonville. They carry Kifaru, SG, and MR packs. They should be able to get you measured and you'll be able to try some top-end gear on in-person.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Thanks for the summary review. I would have appreciated a full review. I get the Forloh is a sponsor, but I also think what makes this site great is that there is just honest feedback, without trying to fit marketing narratives. I think the site is diminished when full reviews are given only when positive things can be said. After all, Forloh came on and made big claims on here. If they haven't done their homework, that is on them. But what makes me come to Rokslide for gear reviews is the honesty without the marketing fluff. I'd encourage you to post the full review, and whenever Forloh makes changes, post a followup. It is very clear this went to market without testing with a focus only on trying to generate quick cash flow with little concern for delivering a quality product to the customer. In the end, I trust Forloh less ... and Rokslide a bit less too if full reviews will be filtered until they can be positive.
I understand the thought process; however, I don't think a full review is worth the space on the main page as it would detract from other content. This review is sufficient to say the pack is not worth the price. I see a main page review as something to help a person differentiate between multiple good options and to my thinking, the contented should be curated with that in mind. On the other hand, very little needs to be said to remove an item from consideration, especially when the competition is as good as SO, Exo, SG, Kifaru, Etc.

So, for me, no change in my trust of Rokslide. The fact that they asked for a very negative review of a sponsor to be posted at all (using a sponsor supplied product no less), says a lot. A less reputable site would have just massaged out the bad bits and used creative writing to give the sponsor a good review. Well, at least that is my take.

sndmn11

WKR
I understand the thought process; however, I don't think a full review is worth the space on the main page as it would detract from other content. This review is sufficient to say the pack is not worth the price. I see a main page review as something to help a person differentiate between multiple good options and to my thinking, the contented should be curated with that in mind. On the other hand, very little needs to be said to remove an item from consideration, especially when the competition is as good as SO, Exo, SG, Kifaru, Etc.

So, for me, no change in my trust of Rokslide. The fact that they asked for a very negative review of a sponsor to be posted at all (using a sponsor supplied product no less), says a lot. A less reputable site would have just massaged out the bad bits and used creative writing to give the sponsor a good review. Well, at least that is my take.
@aion2come I am in agreement with @Marbles, and home page reviews live in the realm of "endorsed".

Hostile criticism doesn't develop relationships, it doesn't bring forth growth, and it really accomplishes nothing other than closing doors.

Where the home page reviews shine is in the constructive criticism AFTER core competency has been established, and nuances/personal preferences are being discussed. Right now, at least for the three people who genuinely tried to get this pack to achieve core competency, it would be pointless to beat a dead horse. It is at the point of CHALLENGING criticism urging improvement, a willingness to provide feedback from this end, and hoping that it is heard. There are a lot of companies who are held in high regard in this same backpack market that had hiccups.

While Forloh did make some claims about this backpack, @KickinNDishin took the route of objectively finding out for herself, and I think Rokslide did a great job of NOT dismissing anything at all that she wrote about. They very easily could have said her evaluation wasn't worthy of sharing because she was female, or she didn't haul meat with it, or she didn't use adjectives like "epic" or "legendary", or whatever; but they didn't.

Ucsdryder

WKR
@aion2come I am in agreement with @Marbles, and home page reviews live in the realm of "endorsed".

Hostile criticism doesn't develop relationships, it doesn't bring forth growth, and it really accomplishes nothing other than closing doors.

Where the home page reviews shine is in the constructive criticism AFTER core competency has been established, and nuances/personal preferences are being discussed. Right now, at least for the three people who genuinely tried to get this pack to achieve core competency, it would be pointless to beat a dead horse. It is at the point of CHALLENGING criticism urging improvement, a willingness to provide feedback from this end, and hoping that it is heard. There are a lot of companies who are held in high regard in this same backpack market that had hiccups.

While Forloh did make some claims about this backpack, @KickinNDishin took the route of objectively finding out for herself, and I think Rokslide did a great job of NOT dismissing anything at all that she wrote about. They very easily could have said her evaluation wasn't worthy of sharing because she was female, or she didn't haul meat with it, or she didn't use adjectives like "epic" or "legendary", or whatever; but they didn't.
Well said. The pack isn’t ready for the market yet. What would a detailed review give you that the summary didn’t?

aion2come

WKR
Well said. The pack isn’t ready for the market yet. What would a detailed review give you that the summary didn’t?
This is just my opinion, obviously. My goal is wanting a fuller review isn't to beat up on Forloh. But being a bit of a pack junkie, I like to dive into the nuts and bolts. For example, the review showed a picture of the flex on the frame but barely touched on the frame except for a description. I would have appreciated to know the positives and negatives of the overall frame design other than the non-functional height. A thorough review would allow us to more adequately judge future changes. There was no lengthy evaluation of the fabric, the bag layout, or the belt either. Basically we were just told that it wouldn't fit and, if it did, it was uncomfortable. Again, my perspective is a more detailed review is helpful both for overall pack evalution and to ascertain if any changes that do get made address the issues mentioned in the fuller review. As it is we'll not know. Again, my two cents.

sndmn11

WKR
being a bit of a pack junkie, I like to dive into the nuts and bolts. For example, the review showed a picture of the flex on the frame but barely touched on the frame except for a description. I would have appreciated to know the positives and negatives of the overall frame design other than the non-functional height. A thorough review would allow us to more adequately judge future changes. There was no lengthy evaluation of the fabric, the bag layout, or the belt either.
This thread is a wonderful opportunity to ask specific questions, ask away.

aion2come

WKR
This thread is a wonderful opportunity to ask specific questions, ask away.
1. In what ways was the highly flexible frame a benefit? A liability? What recommendations would you make to improve the frame other than the height?
2. We saw pictures that Forloh posted of the frame bending backwards. Was that fixed in the current setup?
3. Was the fabric noisy? Highly reflective? Durable? How would it compare to the more commonly used Cordura 500D?
4. What was the quality of the webbing? Buckles? Were they functional? Non-functional?
5. What did you think of the overall bag layout? What was the best feature? What would you want improved?
6. How far outside the shoulder straps were the load lifter attachments? How were the load lifters attached to the frame?
7. What were your thoughts on overall quality of construction? Sewing? Etc.

Those would be a few questions that I would have that I would love more info on.

It's wonderful to see someone has put the pack to the test and given their honest opinions.

It makes me feel uneasy even further that Forloh were presenting them on Rokslide in the way that they have been regarding these packs. Based on early pictures and the details we were presented, many people raised concerns. We were told that experts were on the case and the pictures weren't current and everything was all sorted. Here we are now looking at this review and it is clear that many concerns were warranted, and clear that Forloh have either tried to pull the wool over the eyes of the market, or they are a fair way off the mark regarding their ideas with pack design.
I am really keen to see what might come of this pack design in the future. I'm not trying to be malicious or wave a big finger and say "we told you so!" It's just been an interesting couple of weeks here on the forum following along with this.

Where to now? Genuine question.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I understand where you’re coming from but she posted the entire review on the forum, the only thing we didn’t do is make the digital space for it on the homepage. All her honest opinions are there unedited, and we didn’t influence the review at all.

If FORLOH makes the corrections, and gets this pack to fit more people, will happily reevaluate it and it may eventually end up on her homepage too. In many cases more people see it on the forums than on the homepage anyways

Thanks for chiming in.

Sherman

WKR
I understand where you’re coming from but she posted the entire review on the forum, the only thing we didn’t do is make the digital space for it on the homepage. All her honest opinions are there unedited, and we didn’t influence the review at all.

If FORLOH makes the corrections, and gets this pack to fit more people, will happily reevaluate it and it may eventually end up on her homepage too. In many cases more people see it on the forums than on the homepage anyways

Thanks for chiming in.
Maybe I am missing something. I’m not sure if members have a homepage on here or if @KickinNDishin is some famous huntress I should know about, but where can I find her “homepage” with the full review? Serious question. I feel left out.

BBob

WKR
Maybe I am missing something. I’m not sure if members have a homepage on here or if @KickinNDishin is some famous huntress I should know about, but where can I find her “homepage” with the full review? Serious question. I feel left out.
If I'm not mistaken it's right here in this thread. Page #2 Post #30 is her full review. Two other members that used the pack kicked in additional comments after.

Sherman

WKR
If I'm not mistaken it's right here in this thread. Page #2 Post #30 is her full review. Two other members that used the pack kicked in additional comments after.
I understand. I feel like an idiot. I thought Robby was saying there was a full review that covered more than the fit and frame of the pack.

Rob5589

WKR
This is just my opinion, obviously. My goal is wanting a fuller review isn't to beat up on Forloh. But being a bit of a pack junkie, I like to dive into the nuts and bolts. For example, the review showed a picture of the flex on the frame but barely touched on the frame except for a description. I would have appreciated to know the positives and negatives of the overall frame design other than the non-functional height. A thorough review would allow us to more adequately judge future changes. There was no lengthy evaluation of the fabric, the bag layout, or the belt either. Basically we were just told that it wouldn't fit and, if it did, it was uncomfortable. Again, my perspective is a more detailed review is helpful both for overall pack evaluation and to ascertain if any changes that do get made address the issues mentioned in the fuller review. As it is we'll not know. Again, my two cents.
For myself it seemed like the review was possibly abbreviated simply because of the poor fit and poor load carrying ability. It may have great fabric, buckles, lay out, etc, but if it cannot comfortably carry even a small load the rest doesn't really matter. But that's just my take, I don't want to speak for the testers.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
For myself it seemed like the review was possibly abbreviated simply because of the poor fit and poor load carrying ability. It may have great fabric, buckles, lay out, etc, but if it cannot comfortably carry even a small load the rest doesn't really matter. But that's just my take, I don't want to speak for the testers.
My impression as well. I would have a hard time motivating myself to write a detailed review of something that failed the basics.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Homepage is www.Rokslide.com that’s where final articles are published. Then you don’t have to navigate a thread to read the review. Thanks

NVVAHunt

Lil-Rokslider
Kind of hard to take this company seriously. They disregarded most of the concerns addressed in their threads about this pack and their “the one” pack (which is pretty ridiculous) and made themselves look bad in the process. Now that this pack review pretty much confirms everyone’s issue of “there is no way a 22 inch frame is going to fit everyone” the company looks like more of a gimmick than ever. $800 plus for a poorly designed pack that clearly never really had any testing done (or they disregarded feedback from testers) just shows a lack of integrity from a company in my opinion. They are happy to take your money and provide a sub par product.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk