Forloh Method Backpack Test and Review Complete on Page 2

Sherman

WKR
Kind of hard to take this company seriously. They disregarded most of the concerns addressed in their threads about this pack and their “the one” pack (which is pretty ridiculous) and made themselves look bad in the process. Now that this pack review pretty much confirms everyone’s issue of “there is no way a 22 inch frame is going to fit everyone” the company looks like more of a gimmick than ever. $800 plus for a poorly designed pack that clearly never really had any testing done (or they disregarded feedback from testers) just shows a lack of integrity from a company in my opinion. They are happy to take your money and provide a sub par product.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Somebody had to say it, and I appreciate somebody did. 98% of the Rokslide community is twice as smart as I am and even I can see a little bit of market research is needed before making outlandish claims by a potential sponsor. Learn your audience. There are lessons to be learned here from the AKEK debacle and now Furloh.

“I’m not a smart man, but I know what love is.”
-Sherman (2022)
-Forrest Gump (1994)

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Somebody had to say it, and I appreciate somebody did. 98% of the Rokslide community is twice as smart as I am and even I can see a little bit of market research is needed before making outlandish claims by a potential sponsor. Learn your audience. There are lessons to be learned here from the AKEK debacle and now Furloh.

-Sherman (2022)
-Forrest Gump (1994)
Oh, I think it was said!

Anyway, let’s not throw the baby out yet.

FORLOH is a solid company and let’s give them a chance to take this all in and make some fixes/redirects.

If they can hit the sweet spots with their packs that they have with clothing, this review will have done it’s job.

FORLOH, chime in soon!

sndmn11

WKR
@Ucsdryder is in the video, I think sometimes video trumps photo

I had some responses to your questions @aion2come drafted up while @KickinNDishin finishes up her meetings for the day but saw an email from Forloh come through that I haven't read yet. However, to answer your sewing/quality question, I worked for a forum sponsor that makes wall tents in house for many years. The sewing is great. I would probably try to steal away that sewing house's employees.

-Sherman (2022)
-Forrest Gump (1994)

Plenty of people have said it but in different ways.

Some of the good that has come (for me personally) out of finding FORLOH on this site is that I've looked at their website and am now interesting in some of their clothing, which looks awesome.

As I mentioned in my comment about 'wool over the eyes', it's hard to imagine this pack has been used/tested by enough experienced hunters who have hauled out a lot of meat. The early pictures were very brief, the follow up from the company was even more so, and we've all been asked/told that all the information we want is coming. Now that it's here, there are unfortunately no surprises.

Part of me almost wants to buy one and haul out a few critters down here just to get it really dirty and give it a proper go. It would be no problem for me to get a handful of deer to do that. It would satisfy my own curiosity and almost be 'in service' to Rokslide and the people who are asking the questions, but at 5ft 7in there is a chance it actually might not be too bad for me.

But! I think Kifaru have just started shipping and my wife might kill me if I have two $1500AUD backpacks arrive in a short time.

robert_cpo_forloh

FNG
Rokslide Sponsor
Hello Rokslide, my name’s Robert Yturri and I’m the Chief Product Officer here at FORLOH. Sending out this signal flare to let you all know we’re currently working with the pack testers here on this site to dig deeper into the issues they’ve experienced with our Method Pack’s fit and adjustments. Our plan is to methodically collect all aspects, data and details, and respond back here in the next 24-48 hours. Know we are committed to making the absolute best products exclusively here in the USA and we take seriously any/all new perspectives as they arise, which we feel are integral to the product creation process.

Ucsdryder

WKR
Hello Rokslide, my name’s Robert Yturri and I’m the Chief Product Officer here at FORLOH. Sending out this signal flare to let you all know we’re currently working with the pack testers here on this site to dig deeper into the issues they’ve experienced with our Method Pack’s fit and adjustments. Our plan is to methodically collect all aspects, data and details, and respond back here in the next 24-48 hours. Know we are committed to making the absolute best products exclusively here in the USA and we take seriously any/all new perspectives as they arise, which we feel are integral to the product creation process.
I don’t think we can have too many quality, American made packs on the market! I’m looking forward to seeing the next generation. I don’t think you’ll find a more knowledgeable, picky, and anal group of guys than on rokslide. If you’re willing to listen and take the advice given (which it sounds like you are), I think we’re all excited about what could potentially be coming down the pipeline!

OP
KickinNDishin
A good talk with @robert_cpo_forloh was had, and I am very optimistic.

In my summary on page two I didn't discuss the features of the pack. Since there has been interest, I'm adding it here. Overall, I liked the pack material, features, and functional layout. With the proper fit, I believe it will make a great durable pack system.

The pack system includes the frame and pack body. The frame weighs 3lbs/12oz and the pack body weighs 2lbs/2oz. The fabric is made of 210D HT 100% diamond ripstop nylon that is thermoplastic polyurethane (TPU) coated for waterproofing, the seams are welded, and the pack utilizes YKK® AquaGuard zippers. While not extremely loud, the material does make some noise when brushed. Although the pack is glossy, I did not notice any reflection.

The pack body has four compartments: two on the attached lid, one piggyback style compartment located under the lid, and the large main located on the front with an upside-down u-shaped zipper. The two compartments on top of the attached lid fit small items or snacks. The top compartment fit one rain jacket with a little extra space. The second lid compartment is a similar size.

The main compartment fit a full camp set-up with extra room and the middle compartment easily fit meals, toiletries, and rain gear.

The pack body connects to the frame with side release buckles. Similar buckles and ¾” webbing are used to compress the main and piggyback compartments. Other connections, such as the load lifter and the utility shelf tighten with metal G-hooks and ¾” webbing.

The frame includes an attached stowable utility shelf, which can carry loads without the pack body or support the loads sandwiched between pack and frame. The utility shelf secures the load with G-hooks.

Features that are standard on the pack body include a low-cut water bottle pocket on each side and a stowable rifle/bow holder at the rear consisting of a lower pouch and a horizontal strap. I tested the bow holder with a Bowtech Gen1 Eva Shockey and a Reckoning.

Both bows fit in the sleeve adequately. The only points of concern were the three fasteners. The bottom two fasteners are permanent ladderlocs that required fully unthreading to secure and unsecure the bow and the top faster was extremely challenging to secure the G-hook through the loop. The loop for this G-hook was about half the circumference of all the other loops. Additionally, the sleeve that the cam and limbs fit into is permanently attached so the front of the bow must always point right and those righthand archers who wish to travel with their nocks up, can only do so with the arrows in between the bow and the pack.

As for rifles, I was able to fit a Monte Carlo Weatherby and a typical straight comb stock easily.

robert_cpo_forloh

FNG
Rokslide Sponsor
Rokslide Crew - UPDATE: confirmed we/FORLOH have decided to build additional waistbelt & frame height options into our Method Pack System. We will now have 2 x frame (height) sizes: (22")/current & (26")/new. And we will also have 2 x waistbelt sizes: (25"-34")/new & (32"-44")/current. These are already in final engineering phase/prototyping w/time to finished production: 48-72 hours (the beauty of USA manufacturing). First of these off-the-line will get to Rokslide to continue the product review phase included in this thread. We're looking forward to your continued feedback and appreciate greatly our relationship w/you all !!

NVVAHunt

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Crew - UPDATE: confirmed we/FORLOH have decided to build additional waistbelt & frame height options into our Method Pack System. We will now have 2 x frame (height) sizes: (22")/current & (26")/new. And we will also have 2 x waistbelt sizes: (25"-34")/new & (32"-44")/current. These are already in final engineering phase/prototyping w/time to finished production: 48-72 hours (the beauty of USA manufacturing). First of these off-the-line will get to Rokslide to continue the product review phase included in this thread. We're looking forward to your continued feedback and appreciate greatly our relationship w/you all !!

So here is my issue as a consumer.

Your reps came on the forum and announced a new $825 USA made pack. People brought up some serious concerns with function. The CEO came on here and said the pack is great and tested on large people (he stated 6’5” and 40’ waist). We all questioned how a 22” frame would fit and he said said something along the lines of “our new advanced design” makes it work. We asked to see some of the testing or improvements that he stated were made (never happened). Some testers here got their hands on it and confirmed the issues that were brought up and now you’re fixing it in less than a week by offering taller frames and different waist belts (not testing it but offering it for sale).

So my questions are how was this tested prior to rolling it out for sale? Who tested it? Were the issues and flaws acknowledged prior to this and just ignored and you all offered a flawed product for sale anyway? All this “trust us it’s great” then immediately backsliding leads people to believe that testing was minimal and leaves a really bad impression to potential customers.

Ucsdryder

WKR

Your reps came on the forum and announced a new $825 USA made pack. People brought up some serious concerns with function. The CEO came on here and said the pack is great and tested on large people (he stated 6’5” and 40’ waist). We all questioned how a 22” frame would fit and he said said something along the lines of “our new advanced design” makes it work. We asked to see some of the testing or improvements that he stated were made (never happened). Some testers here got their hands on it and confirmed the issues that were brought up and now you’re fixing it in less than a week by offering taller frames and different waist belts (not testing it but offering it for sale).

So my questions are how was this tested prior to rolling it out for sale? Who tested it? Were the issues and flaws acknowledged prior to this and just ignored and you all offered a flawed product for sale anyway? All this “trust us it’s great” then immediately backsliding leads people to believe that testing was minimal and leaves a really bad impression to potential customers.

I can’t answer any of these questions but I can promise you I’ll put it through the paces and give my honest feedback. Assuming it arrives next week it’ll be going to elk camp and there’s a very good chance it’ll be hauling 100-120 pounds out. If it fails on me I will not be a happy camper and you guys will know it. If it survives that trip then I think it’ll be a great option for an American made pack!!

NVVAHunt

Lil-Rokslider
I can’t answer any of these questions but I can promise you I’ll put it through the paces and give my honest feedback. Assuming it arrives next week it’ll be going to elk camp and there’s a very good chance it’ll be hauling 100-120 pounds out. If it fails on me I will not be a happy camper and you guys will know it. If it survives that trip then I think it’ll be a great option for an American made pack!!

I appreciate the honest feedback from the reviews here. My criticism was not of any of the Rokslide staff, testers, etc, but of FORLOH and their actions.

Ucsdryder

WKR
I appreciate the honest feedback from the reviews here. My criticism was not of any of the Rokslide staff, testers, etc, but of FORLOH and their actions.

I know you were. 👍

Sent from my iPhone using
Not to beat a dead horse, but I agree. Offering a new frame size 3 days later means that absolutely no additional testing or design went into the pack other than tacking on 4 inches.

Glad to see them taking constructive criticism but it’s off putting that they didn’t test in the infinite time they had prior to bringing it to market.

amassi

WKR

Simple- it wasn't tested, this new frame height and belt design wasn't tested in 3 days. They're using some wkr to do their field testing

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Venom One

WKR

Agree 100%.

My problem with FORLOH is that they seem to want to ride mostly on the "Made in the USA bandwagon", but not produce a superior product. When they get criticism, they always fall back on 'hey, it's Made in the USA' as of that alone resolves the problem or absolves them of having to produce top-notch quality.

Isn't FORLOH's manufacturing done in Puerto Rico? Yeah, technically part of the US (and certainly better than China), but they're charging a premium for their gear because it's "Made in the USA". I doubt they're paying the Puerto Rican's a great wage - probably not much more than someone in Vietnam - so you have to wonder why the premium price. I'm sure they'll pop on here and say the materials are sourced here and blah, blah, but I'm highly skeptical of their honesty at this point.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Agree 100%.

My problem with FORLOH is that they seem to want to ride mostly on the "Made in the USA bandwagon", but not produce a superior product. When they get criticism, they always fall back on 'hey, it's Made in the USA' as of that alone resolves the problem or absolves them of having to produce top-notch quality.

Isn't FORLOH's manufacturing done in Puerto Rico? Yeah, technically part of the US (and certainly better than China), but they're charging a premium for their gear because it's "Made in the USA". I doubt they're paying the Puerto Rican's a great wage - probably not much more than someone in Vietnam - so you have to wonder why the premium price. I'm sure they'll pop on here and say the materials are sourced here and blah, blah, but I'm highly skeptical of their honesty at this point.
The minimum wage in Puerto Rico is $8.50. The minimum wage in Vietnam is $4.27 at current exchange rates.

While Texas is technically part of the USA, with only the federal minimum wage of $7.25 it is even closer to Vietnam wages than Puerto Rico.

Last edited:

BBob

WKR
I think sometimes video trumps photo
Yeah that thing doesn't fit for..........well you know ;) As predicted by many that frame is way too short. Lets see how that 26" frame everyone said they needed to offer in the first place works :ROFLMAO:
They're using some wkr to do their field testing
Ya that's some BS right there. Hopefully they get a few packs or something worthwhile for their efforts.