Forloh Rain Gear

Just checking in and seeing if anyone has more recent reviews of Forloh rain gear. I know they have a couple different models, so I am am curious if people have tried the different models. Looking for an all around rain gear system, especially for Alaska this year. I have read most of the previous posts on any and all forums. Thanks!

yeti14

Lil-Rokslider
No experience, but I did email them because their waterproof rating makes no sense. The website states the rating is ≤35k/mm, which just means it's less than or equal to the stated number. Might as well be <1 billion. Here is their email response.

"Our jackets are waterproof/ breathable up to 35k/35mm, as it has an eptfe membrane sandwiched in the 3-layer fabric, laminated with additional face pulse-plasma (our DWR) treatment. 22k is kind of the industry standard that breaches that "waterproof" level. Our jacket rates an average of 33k-35. Let us know if you have any more questions."

I dont have all the rain gear they make, but i will try to answer. I dont have the regular(heavier) 3 layer jacket but i did order it and return it and i have not laid hands on the lightweight pants. I did have the stone glacier m5 rain pant and the design looked similar on the light forloh pants it seemed.

I ordered the softshell, the lighter weight rain jacket and the 3 layer jacket to try. After going outside and having my wife spray me with the hose to get a feel for them, i decided to keep the softshell and the light jacket. I honestly couldnt tell too much difference between the 3 layer and the softshell, softshell was a slightly more quiet and comfortable and seemed like it would be redundant(and too expensive) to keep all 3 jackets. The softshell is the most waterproof softshell ive ever had, i wear it often and its still completely waterproof

I decided off the bat to get the heavier rain pants with the full side zips because having owned the m5 pants previously, i decided that i much prefer a full side zipper so i dont have to pull wet and/or muddy boots through a half zipped leg. They are all very nice pieces, if i was heading to Alaska i would probably just get the full set of heavier rain gear, the allclima 3 layer for durability but if you are a weight nazi im sure the light set would work out too. As far as waterproofing goes im sure you would be fine with the lighter weight set as well, based on using the jacket in some very heavy downpours. The jacket breathes well too and the upper back vent is great. I did notice the light jacket isnt as roomy in the shoulders and its alot thinner, so im assuming over the long run not quite as durable and id venture to guess that same fit carries over to the light pants.

Hope that helps, they have been having pretty frequent sales so you should sign up for their email list and keep an eye out for sales

I have the Allclima rain pants, Allclima softshell jacket and today received the Allclima rain jacket. I'll be returning the Allclima rain jacket and keeping the Allclima softshell. Although there are pros/cons to each. I'll try to highlight them the best I can. It seems they have the same outer material and both are size M but they are cut differently. Allclima softshell has mesh lining in pit zips, Allclima rain does not. For reference I'm 5'8" 170lbs 43" chest.
Allclima softshell Pros:
-i like the fit better, can still add layers underneath easily
-microfleece lining adds a quietness to movement
-small holes inside lining of pockets to aid in breathability, just open pocket zippers to help alleviate any buildup
Allclima softshell Cons:
-hood is not 3 way adjustable, will block peripheral vision unless worn with ballcap
-wrist closure Velcro flap sits more towards the inside of the wrist, maybe could cause an issue with cables of a bow if not careful on a short BH bow?
Allclima rain Pros:
-3 way adjustable hood is fantastic and allows for full peripheral vision w/o cap and still provides coverage
-wrist closure Velcro flap sits towards the outside of the wrist
Allclima Cons:
-more crinkly although it's very subtle
-no holes in lining of pockets to aid in breathability
-larger cut but I believe this is for throwing overtop if a storm hits, could be remedied by sizing down

Softshell weighs 28 oz, rain weighs 27.9 oz and both shed water like a ducks ass. If FORLOH would move the wrist closures and give the softshell a hood like the rain jacket it would be incredible, but it's close.

Last edited:

bsnedeker

WKR
I have the Allclima rain pants, Allclima softshell jacket and today received the Allclima rain jacket. I'll be returning the Allclima rain jacket and keeping the Allclima softshell. Although there are pros/cons to each. I'll try to highlight them the best I can. It seems they have the same outer material and both are size M but they are cut differently. Allclima softshell has mesh lining in pit zips, Allclima rain does not. For reference I'm 5'8" 170lbs 43" chest.
Allclima softshell Pros
-i like the fit better, can still add layers underneath easily
-microfleece lining adds a quietness to movement
-small holes inside lining of pockets to aid in breathability, just open pocket zippers to help alleviate any buildup
-
My neighbor works for Forloh and this is what he does as well and apparently a lot of the people who work there do the same. That softshell jacket is sweet!

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Last edited:
OP
Trey Arentz
That podcast had alot of info.
Still not sure how to pick the best rain gear for me.
I agree. I'm heading to the NBR in less then two months and can't make up my mind. I think for a fact I'm at least bringing a helly Hansen Impertech jacket, but still need pants and a rain jacket I can wear on the go.

Last edited:

Venom One

WKR
No experience, but I did email them because their waterproof rating makes no sense. The website states the rating is ≤35k/mm, which just means it's less than or equal to the stated number. Might as well be <1 billion. Here is their email response.

"Our jackets are waterproof/ breathable up to 35k/35mm, as it has an eptfe membrane sandwiched in the 3-layer fabric, laminated with additional face pulse-plasma (our DWR) treatment. 22k is kind of the industry standard that breaches that "waterproof" level. Our jacket rates an average of 33k-35. Let us know if you have any more questions."

Very interesting considering I asked the exact same question in Aug 2021 and never got an answer. Post is here: https://www.rokslide.com/forums/threads/forloh.206340/page-5

I see they added the "equal to" sign in front of the 35. In 2021 it just said "<35k +/mm Waterproof". There's no doubt in my mind that the verbiage was carefully chosen so people looking for a waterproof rating would see the 35 and think "well, it's got the highest number so it must be the best" and completely miss the "less than" sign.

Last edited:

Tecker123

FNG
Rokslide Sponsor
The waterproof magic in Forloh’s waterproof gear is the Double Pulse Plasma technology used to make it, and we are the only hunting brand using it in the world. What is Pulse Plasma? Well first we choose to use and already super breathable EPTFE membrane, and are always striving to maintain breathability throughout the fabric development. Pulse Plasma is a process by which a state of the art machine is used to DWR treat the fabric, by enclosing the fabric in a chamber the size of a shipping container, then it pulls its own atmosphere which literally pulls DWR through the fabric coating all the fibers, but leaving the pores open to breathe. This is done on the membrane first, then when the 3 layer is laminated it is done again to the finished fabric, hence the Double. Traditionally industry sprays DWR on the finished fabric which clogs most of the pores, but also is a topical treatment that wears off after a while of use, ours is embedded improving waterproof And breathability exponentially. I spend on average over 100 days a year hunting and in the elements, including the downpours of Alaska, and have yet to have a wet day inside the jacket, both because of its water repellency but also it’s breathability. It is a true huge leap forward in waterproof technology!

OP
Trey Arentz
The waterproof magic in Forloh’s waterproof gear is the Double Pulse Plasma technology used to make it, and we are the only hunting brand using it in the world. What is Pulse Plasma? Well first we choose to use and already super breathable EPTFE membrane, and are always striving to maintain breathability throughout the fabric development. Pulse Plasma is a process by which a state of the art machine is used to DWR treat the fabric, by enclosing the fabric in a chamber the size of a shipping container, then it pulls its own atmosphere which literally pulls DWR through the fabric coating all the fibers, but leaving the pores open to breathe. This is done on the membrane first, then when the 3 layer is laminated it is done again to the finished fabric, hence the Double. Traditionally industry sprays DWR on the finished fabric which clogs most of the pores, but also is a topical treatment that wears off after a while of use, ours is embedded improving waterproof And breathability exponentially. I spend on average over 100 days a year hunting and in the elements, including the downpours of Alaska, and have yet to have a wet day inside the jacket, both because of its water repellency but also it’s breathability. It is a true huge leap forward in waterproof technology!
Thanks for that! I put my order in last week and look forward to getting them and putting them through the ringer in Alaska this year!

While i appreciate fhe explanation of the process, what does that have anything to do with plasma?

Is pulse plasma more a marketing gimmick term or is the DWR coating actually sent in via pulsed plasma bursts to the negative pressure chamber and impregnated into the material?