Form 1 DIY

Been watching lots of videos and know some local yokels with a few Form 1 cans. Anyone built their own? My use would be a 22lr, 17WSM, and 204 ruger. What have you done that worked? Recommendations? Thoughts overall?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mcr-85

WKR
I'm in the process. I have 2 stamps back to start on them. Hopefully I'll have them built by the weekend.

OP
silasbowhunter
I'm in the process. I have 2 stamps back to start on them. Hopefully I'll have them built by the weekend.

Sounds awesome! Would love to see you build list and overall thoughts. Thanks

mcr-85

WKR
Did you do e-file or paper and what was your time for form 1?

I did e-file on both.
Completed the 1st form 1 on 2/25/2020
Approved on 3/23/2020

Completed the 2nd form 1 on 3/2/2020
Approved 4/8/2020

Sounds awesome! Would love to see you build list and overall thoughts. Thanks

The first will be drilled to .375 for 30 cal. "D size" 1.5"x9" titanium tube. Direct thread caps in 1/2x28 and 5/8x24. For the end cap I have an adapter from the D tube to a silencerco anchor brake. Stainless cones with titanium spacers.

The second is going to be drilled .328 for 6.5 cal. Same size tube, only in aluminum. Direct thread cap in 1/2x28 and I'll drill the end cap the same as the cones. Stainless cones with titanium spacers.

These will mostly be used on coyote rifles but I'm hoping they will handle my big game rifles as well. We shall see.

OP
silasbowhunter
I did e-file on both.
Completed the 1st form 1 on 2/25/2020
Approved on 3/23/2020

Completed the 2nd form 1 on 3/2/2020
Approved 4/8/2020

The first will be drilled to .375 for 30 cal. "D size" 1.5"x9" titanium tube. Direct thread caps in 1/2x28 and 5/8x24. For the end cap I have an adapter from the D tube to a silencerco anchor brake. Stainless cones with titanium spacers.

The second is going to be drilled .328 for 6.5 cal. Same size tube, only in aluminum. Direct thread cap in 1/2x28 and I'll drill the end cap the same as the cones. Stainless cones with titanium spacers.

These will mostly be used on coyote rifles but I'm hoping they will handle my big game rifles as well. We shall see.

Sounds like some awesome cans. I’m just wanting to start with a smaller can to satisfy myself until my Form 4a get done...

mcr-85

WKR
Sounds like some awesome cans. I’m just wanting to start with a smaller can to satisfy myself until my Form 4a get done...

Me too. I have a griffin armament I'm waiting on. I bought that before I knew you could build them.

cgasner1

WKR
I was under the impression you still need a form
4 if you go this route

cgasner1

WKR
What I’ve read from that once it’s built you then need a stamp to use it pretty sure the government still wants there money for that form 4

mcr-85

WKR
What I’ve read from that once it’s built you then need a stamp to use it pretty sure the government still wants there money for that form 4

No that isn't how it works. You pay to play first. You have to pay the $200 for the stamp still. You do that first and then you get to build it. The $200 isn't tied to only a form 4. A form 4 is a transfer from a dealer to an individual. A form 1 is for building one. Both carry the same price.

mcr-85

WKR
Here is one that I got finished up. 9" titanium tube with stainless baffles and titanium spacers. It seems ok to me.

OP
silasbowhunter
Here is one that I got finished up. 9" titanium tube with stainless baffles and titanium spacers. It seems ok to me.

What mounting system are you using? Mind if I could get an overview of your built list? Thanks! Sounds awesome

I would use stainless or titanium Internals if you plan on running the 204 through it. Aluminum will just not be able to handle a centerfire cartridge for very long.

AKSilent1

FNG
Been watching lots of videos and know some local yokels with a few Form 1 cans. Anyone built their own? My use would be a 22lr, 17WSM, and 204 ruger. What have you done that worked? Recommendations? Thoughts overall?

I own and operate Alaska Silencer where I have a Class 3 FFL. You can certainly do your Form 1. A more efficient option is to reach out to the professionals. I move almost all of my silencers and SBR customers through Silencer Shop where for a very small fee, the professionals handle all of the paperwork so that chances of mistakes are greatly reduced. There would be nothing worse than waiting 7 months for the ATF to reject your application on something that could have been avoided. As of this posting, processing time on silencers is about 8 months.