Form on release

Cody06

WKR
I understand how back tension results in a smooth pull through of the release arm, but for a lack of better words... I see a lot of professional guys with almost a “jolt” of extension in the front arm upon release. And I suspect this contributes to consistency and accuracy as your arm/bow are moving directly with the shot.

Check out Chris around/after 46:00 -

Also check out Levi around 6:30 -

Compared to..
Watch the first 10 seconds of this clip for example of no shot pull through or extension -

I’d like to work on the forward extension on release.
For someone like the third video, what are key points to make?

Last edited:

TheTone

WKR
Comparing a couple high level pro archers to fame seeking “dorks” is a big part IMO

• Haha
Reactions: Zac
OP
C

Cody06

WKR
That is my point. “High level” archers are doing this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zac

WKR
Comparing a couple high level pro archers to fame seeking “dorks” is a big part IMO
The Muley Freak video is hilarious. Kyle asks him which do you prefer, suprsise shot or command? "I think I prefer command."

Zac

WKR
What you are witnessing is the difference between a static and a dynamic shot. People that are shooting dynamically are going to execute a suprised shot. That means they are pulling through the shot. When the shot breaks that backwards momentum throws their release hand over thier shoulder. If you wan't a really good example of this watch some videos of Kris Schaff.

N2TRKYS

WKR
I can’t stand a surprised release when shooting my bow. My accuracy goes to crap when I go for a surprised shot. Hitting the trigger when the pin is on the target has proven more consistent and accurate for me.

I understand how back tension results in a smooth pull through of the release arm, but for a lack of better words... I see a lot of professional guys with almost a “jolt” of extension in the front arm upon release. And I suspect this contributes to consistency and accuracy as your arm/bow are moving directly with the shot.

Check out Chris around/after 46:00 -

Also check out Levi around 6:30 -

Compared to..
Watch the first 10 seconds of this clip for example of no shot pull through or extension -

I’d like to work on the forward extension on release.
For someone like the third video, what are key points to make?
Some guys that shoot hinge release push forward very slight as they apply back tension. This makes for more dynamic shot. I don’t think Levi really pushes or pulls, he sits a little more static and rolls through a hinge with his hand. But ya the last video is what a classic index finger trigger puncher guy looks like.

WKR
Any properly tensioned release will result in the release hand pulling backward and the bow hand pushing slightly forward and then left (for right handed archer.)

People who hold either or both hands still/steady are hacks who should not be copied.

Zac

WKR
I can’t stand a surprised release when shooting my bow. My accuracy goes to crap when I go for a surprised shot. Hitting the trigger when the pin is on the target has proven more consistent and acc
Any properly tensioned release will result in the release hand pulling backward and the bow hand pushing slightly forward and then left (for right handed archer.)

People who hold either or both hands still/steady are hacks who should not be copied.
That can also be a sign of collapsing. That last video was a bit cringy. I'll watch anything with Kyle in it though.

OP
C

Cody06

WKR
That can also be a sign of collapsing. That last video was a bit cringy. I'll watch anything with Kyle in it though.

No disrespect. Just a comparison

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beendare

WKR
Follow-through is a critical part of your shot. I got away with other form flaws for years but had good follow through that kept me competitive.