Formal charges for Mzl/archery shooting

My freedom is worth more than 300 an hour. Like I said, if you have the funds to drop on an out of state hunt then I would hope you have the funds to hire an attorney to protect your freedom.
Most don’t have the money and are putting their hunting trips on credit cards. Just because someone is doing something or buying something, doesn’t mean they have the money for it. That is the problem with the world we live in today. Doesn’t surprise me at all he is using a public defender.

Ucsdryder

WKR
Most don’t have the money and are putting their hunting trips on credit cards. Just because someone is doing something or buying something, doesn’t mean they have the money for it. That is the problem with the world we live in today. Doesn’t surprise me at all he is using a public defender.
You’re probably right. Seems mind boggling to live that way but to each their own I guess. That way of living would stress me out to the point I wouldn’t be able to enjoy it.

Will_m

WKR
A defense atty charges 300+ per hour. Criminal case is probably hundreds of hours. Plus there's that pesky 6th amendment and all.
If you got charged 300+ an hour for a criminal matter, excepting some white collar stuff, you sir were the victim in that scenario.

tdhanses

WKR
Wait…why does he have a public defender? He has enough money to go on a NR elk hunt but needs a public defender! I knew Colorado elk licenses were too cheap!!!!!
Because he’s probably broke and put it all on a credit card.

While the shooter doesn't have sense enough to identify his target before firing apparently he has enough sense to know he is going down for this. Why waste money on a high dollar defense attorney for the same inevitable outcome?

def90

WKR
If you search the guys name and where he is from the google results don't give the air that he is destitute and charging his hunts to credit cards. He donated $4500 in the 2020 election cycle and his job is listed as being in the Nuclear Technologies field.

As for why he would have a public defendant.. who knows, maybe he didn't want to hang around and spend the time to find a local attorney or maybe he knows he ****** up and is expecting to take whatever comes his way.

PRC_GUY

WKR
Already been a couple threads on this but it still pisses me off. Dude says he heard elk calls, saw ‘white in the pines,’ and took a shot. As careless and idiotic of a mistake as one can make, should’ve never happened. Neglected the very core of basic firearm safety. Hunter orange is not required in NM with the exception of a few areas and hunts, but this makes me want to wear orange from head to toe. I know more orange isn’t the answer and you simply just can’t fix stupid. Horrible tragedy.
I totally agree with you about this ediot. He was sleeping and hear something and just shooting, anyway this ediot didn’t take Hunting Education class yet!

LostArra

WKR
The judge can determine if a defendant gets a public defender. If they can pay bail the answer is usually no. This may differ state to state.

Marble

WKR
My freedom is worth more than 300 an hour. Like I said, if you have the funds to drop on an out of state hunt then I would hope you have the funds to hire an attorney to protect your freedom.
A criminal retainer fee for something like this would probably be at minimum 20- 30k to start out. Frequently people have to pull funds out of their homes, retirement and family.

If it goes to trial expect another retainer fee.

Lots of people get financially ruined by legal fees.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Ucsdryder

WKR
A criminal retainer fee for something like this would probably be at minimum 20- 30k to start out. Frequently people have to pull funds out of their homes, retirement and family.

If it goes to trial expect another retainer fee.

Lots of people get financially ruined by legal fees.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
One hundred percent agree with everything you said, and in extreme cases that’s what happens. Homicide would be one of those extreme cases. I would do whatever I could to get good representation.