Forster coax press overall length limit

truehaun

FNG
Brand new to reloading, I have a 1:8 twist browning x bolt max 300 win mag and want to try the 212 lrx bore rider which Barnes load data has at 3.975 COAL. I know I will have to single feed these because magazine length. Ultimate reloader on YouTube said the max for the coax press was 3.97. I’m still reading and watching videos to learn more about reloading so forgive me if this is a dumb question. Will the coax press be fine? Has anybody loaded these 212s in a 300 win mag and what press did you use?

OP
T

truehaun

FNG
I load some 230 CEB Lazer Max in my 300 Norma Mag Improved at a seated depth of 4.020” on my CoAx.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I'm loading 338edge to over 4" myself. I am disappointed that I didn't buy a coax press 30 years ago. I am super impressed with it.
Awesome that it will work. Thanks for confirming. What dies are you guys using or what do you recommend?

Awesome that it will work. Thanks for confirming. What dies are you guys using or what do you recommend?

When I do bullet seating on my CoAx, believe it or not I use the Frankford Aresenal universal seater. It’s shockingly precise and repeatable.

But I’ve moved to an arbor press and Wilson in-line dies chambered with my reamer that cut my chamber.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Axlrod

WKR
The longest I have loaded is 416 Rigby with 400 Gr. Cutting Edge. The COAL is 4.195". The CO/AX measures 4.22" from where the cartridge base sits, to the bottom of the casting where the die slides in.
You can't always use all of that space, if your die is adjusted below the bottom edge of the press casting. But it is pretty easy to set your bullet in the case, then tip it a bit up into the die. The shell holder jaws are wide open at this point, so you can just set the cartridge straight down into the shell holder.

For dies you can use any seater you already have. I like the Forster and the Hornady seaters, they have a sleeve that helps guide the bullet. But I have lots of RCBS and Redding dies I have used without issue in the CO/AX.
I buy the 6-packs of the Forster lock rings and change them out on my non-Forster dies. Hornady lock rings work pretty good too. I don't like the fit of RCBS and Redding rings.

Wrench

WKR
I'm running whidden dies. I have whidden, Hornaday, rcbs, redding, lee, forster and all seem to produce very concentric rounds. The rcbs and lee lock rings are loose....but honestly, I prefer that with this press.