Fort hunter Liggett Jr hunt

I took my kids to a Jr pheasant hunting in Atascadero. And met a fellow that used blade the roads for the army .. he recommended the youth hunt there . There are walk in only spots ... focus there and still hunt around between 11am-1 pm

Azone

WKR
I’ve helped a few kids out on it and it can prove to be a good hunt depending on the weather and which area you can get into.
Have you ever hunted on the base?
Get your post count up and feel free to PM with any questions you have. I will not share my honey holes but I will do my best to help out.

OP
J

Jenks

FNG
I've hunted the base many yrs ago. Got my Isportsman thing started.Ill get my post count up so that I can PM you . Thanks

Azone

WKR
You also have to register your firearms with the base and pass a criminal background check. How many hours drive are you from the base?
I would highly recommend picking up a A zone tag and hunting the regular season, the bucks don’t travel far out there.

OP
J

Jenks

FNG
Didn't know about registering firearms. Did get the background check started. Only 1 1/2 hrs from the base , and yes getting an A tag and hunting the base was exactly what I was planning 👍

Azone

WKR
Do you own a muzzleloader or slug gun? Do to safety requirements for military training some areas will only be open to archery muzzleloader or shotgun if troops area training in a neighboring area.

sreal217

FNG
been trying to hunt my first pig and had no luck in public land last year.application is already approved for this place.how is this place in terms of pig.new to big game hunting ,id appreciate any advice and tips in hunting or this place

Azone

WKR
been trying to hunt my first pig and had no luck in public land last year.application is already approved for this place.how is this place in terms of pig.new to big game hunting ,id appreciate any advice and tips in hunting or this place
Awesome first post.
Yes, hogs get killed there every year, I will not go into area specific questions on a open forum. Stick around long enough to get your post count up to PM and I will offer some advice.
Or you could just spend years hiking and driving all over that place and figure it out for yourself like a lot of us have. That comment isn’t meant to be discouraging or me sounding like a dick, if your new to hunting you should be concentrating on learning animal habits and likes and what they dislike versus stressing on punching a tag.
I know, I know we all want to shoot one every time but that’s not the way it generally works out there. That place has a way of chewing people up (especially new hunters) and spitting them out, it can be a total mind **** at times.
If you put in all the work yourself and bust your ass I can guarantee you it will be 10x sweeter when that first hog hits the dirt.
LEA can be very STRICT out there, people get pulled over for 38 in a 35, no bullshit. Have all your vehicle paperwork and personal identification and weapons registration in order or be ready for a very, very fun time with the feds.
😉

sreal217

FNG
Awesome first post.
Yes, hogs get killed there every year, I will not go into area specific questions on a open forum. Stick around long enough to get your post count up to PM and I will offer some advice.
Or you could just spend years hiking and driving all over that place and figure it out for yourself like a lot of us have. That comment isn’t meant to be discouraging or me sounding like a dick, if your new to hunting you should be concentrating on learning animal habits and likes and what they dislike versus stressing on punching a tag.
I know, I know we all want to shoot one every time but that’s not the way it generally works out there. That place has a way of chewing people up (especially new hunters) and spitting them out, it can be a total mind **** at times.
If you put in all the work yourself and bust your ass I can guarantee you it will be 10x sweeter when that first hog hits the dirt.
LEA can be very STRICT out there, people get pulled over for 38 in a 35, no bullshit. Have all your vehicle paperwork and personal identification and weapons registration in order or be ready for a very, very fun time with the feds.
😉
thanks for the heads up about how strict they are ,will steer away from that. I was originally going to go off of their harvest reporting for each zone ,and found a zone with decent numbers for years back to back but again never been there,dont know how the zone looks like.will definitely put in the work in zones until the freezer is full or for one big cookout with the entire family. ill let you know how it goes and if i may need help .thanks bud

Awesome first post.
😉
I can attest to this. I've been going to FHL somewhat regularly for the last couple of years to start to learn the areas. There are definitely pigs there, and if you put in the times you can start to learn where they tend to be. If you are looking for pigs, I would recommend restricted weapons areas to increase your odds of seeing game (archery and/or muzzleloader).

Liggett is also great for Quail and Turkey.

Azone

WKR
I can attest to this. I've been going to FHL somewhat regularly for the last couple of years to start to learn the areas. There are definitely pigs there, and if you put in the times you can start to learn where they tend to be. If you are looking for pigs, I would recommend restricted weapons areas to increase your odds of seeing game (archery and/or muzzleloader).

Liggett is also great for Quail and Turkey.
The restricted zones certainly get a lot more pressure now. Seems like everyone and their brother was in them last year, or the other years I just never ran into anyone. I honestly wish they had more walk in zones, it would be nice to not have to deal with Jeep guys punching a two track down every freaking ridge. The animals get spooky very quick down there.

The restricted zones certainly get a lot more pressure now. Seems like everyone and their brother was in them last year, or the other years I just never ran into anyone. I honestly wish they had more walk in zones, it would be nice to not have to deal with Jeep guys punching a two track down every freaking ridge. The animals get spooky very quick down there.
last year I was trying set myself up so all those trucks could just drive those deer my way... didnt work... lol

Usmcff

WKR
Haven’t hunted there but I was sent there for an army course in 2019 and I didn’t see a single deer on the base. We weren’t allowed to leave base at all so basically spent all my free time hiking the back trails. Bird hunting there would be like shooting fish in a barrel. I saw tons of quail, petted a wild turkey with my bare hands, it was unreal.