Fort Riley Kansas Elk Hunt

OP
M

MattDavis

FNG
Again with other hunters

Set up on the glassing point this morning. Absolutely perfect set up. I can make out three bulls in the field at first light about ten minutes before shooting light. I have perfect position and wind for dropping in and cutting them off. I just that and low and behold there is a bow hunter in front of me trying to get to his spot at 0705. Bumped them all out of there.

Shrek

WKR
Again with other hunters

Set up on the glassing point this morning. Absolutely perfect set up. I can make out three bulls in the field at first light about ten minutes before shooting light. I have perfect position and wind for dropping in and cutting them off. I just that and low and behold there is a bow hunter in front of me trying to get to his spot at 0705. Bumped them all out of there.
Man is that frustrating ! I’m hoping it breaks your way next time.

OP
M

MattDavis

FNG
Beyond frustrated this morning was my last morning to hunt. And it being Saturday the area is just covered by bow hunters. Again walking with the wind at there back at day break. Watched three separate bow hunters walk in to hunt within a hundred yards of each other and to be honest I don't think they know each other are there.

Sour way to end my hunt. Three mornings in a row to be blown up by others.

I know a lot of you are thinking to find a new place to hunt. Trust me I tried spent all my afternoons scouting new areas looking for fresh sign. Kept ended up here. It's the only open area with activity that I can find.

hobbes

WKR
Beyond frustrated this morning was my last morning to hunt. And it being Saturday the area is just covered by bow hunters. Again walking with the wind at there back at day break. Watched three separate bow hunters walk in to hunt within a hundred yards of each other and to be honest I don't think they know each other are there.

I know a lot of you are thinking to find a new place to hunt. Trust me I tried spent all my afternoons scouting new areas looking for fresh sign. Kept ended up here. It's the only open area with activity that I can find.
Dang that's frustrating. I guess choking them all out at the parking lot would be frowned upon. 😀

tdhanses

WKR

You have plenty of time to do some weekend hunts and sneak out there, season doesn’t end for a long time, don’t give up.

How far away are you from the area?

Shrek

WKR
If you can find the time to get back I’m betting you would be more effective. A week or two off to process all you have learned will make a difference. Good hunting !

OP
M

MattDavis

FNG
My hope is to be back in December. But there's is a lot of variables. Family, work, covid, election and they're taking about shutting the whole area down for a month for a massive army exercise but they don't know when that will be.

Great hunt hope to be back and hopefully thr archery hunters will be thinned out but then I'll be dealing with rifles hunters lol

OP
M

MattDavis

FNG
I do have a life time license but I'm also a KS resident since im still active duty and I joined from home.

So im not going to lie. After yesterday's hunt I was a little tired and beyond frustrated. Not at all ready to quit but after sixteen days of hunting I think I needed to step back, ready to see my wife and kids, missed my son's football games.

Now barely halfway home and I'm imagining smelling elk piss and wishing I was back out there.

We're not done here

It will get better later in the season as there will be less deer hunters. Don't give up , I killed my bull with just a couple days left in the season and only because I had to move because a deer hunter arrived at shooting time. Enjoy the journey. I would give anything to do it again.

OP
M

MattDavis

FNG
Little too far.

If closer to me I would offer to ride back out with you for a few days, at least help with the drive and be an extra set of eyes to help. Might not be an option there tho.
My dad's trying to go with me next but right now there saying no because covid. Nobody outside a 150 mile radius. Natural resource office had to get permission for me from the Generals office.

Now that I've been as long as you stay in the hunting issues I don't understand why it's an issue. The only people I came in cigar with were other hunters by choice and each one of the game wardens lol.

Diz

FNG
Can you place game cameras on the fort?
Yes. The hunting regs don't preclude using cameras. They also reference the punishment for stealing game cameras. I've also mentioned pictures I got in conversation with the game warden on post, and he didn't bat an eye.

OP
M

MattDavis

FNG
I'll be back the first two and a half weeks of Dec. Yes I've added some trail cameras to my tool kit. Can't wait to get back at em. Maybe I won't be so selective this time. Just hard to pull the trigger on a moderate one when I know and have seen pics of some giant Kansas elk.

Last edited: