Fossil Finds?

Here's some of the better megalodon teeth I've found diving off NC. Biggest is almost 6". Clam & inner ear from a whale and a 5 1/2" whale tooth (according to a biologist). The megs fed on the whales so there's lots of their parts. The smaller teeth are cool but the big ones get your blood pumping. This is almost as addictive as elk hunting.

teeth 1.jpgfossils.jpg
small teeth.jpg

Rich M

WKR
Those above are excellent! I'm gonna keep looking until find a shark tooth bigger than a quarter then will stop.

Shark toothing is fun - all mine are pretty small compared to above, more like a dime or less in size.
Shark Tooth.jpg

Was a big deal for me to find that first piece of petrified wood while hunting in WY. Then realized it was literally everywhere. Still very neat. No pics.

Petroglyphs in CO
Petroglyphs.jpg

Not a fossil, but neat. Bioluminescence while fishing in FL - this is all natural from plankton - sometimes it will be like a laser beam behind the boat from the prop.

Biolume.jpg

That's all I got.

Last edited:

FlyGuy

WKR
This is a cool thread to start I only have a couple….

I found these while taking a break on the side of a steep, steep mtn hunting OTC Barbary sheep in NM. These were at about 6000’ in a dry desert landscape outside of Alamogordo. I would have like to have brought them home with me, but that rock weighed about 20# and I was whipped and low on water so I never even considered taking it with me.

911730679f082699f399253c81fa406a.jpg

9a5a38df16d3e6c3aa278b106a7df222.jpg

Secondly, I found these prehistoric oyster shells (can’t recall their actual name) fishing near Austin TX. I looked them up and they are like 100 million years old. Crazy.

0f3e1154b54fd2f2f6194519d320586c.jpg

I’m always on the lookout for an arrowhead or a dinosaur bone, but I’ve never found a single one.

“What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts were gone, man would die from a great loneliness of spirit.“

Chief Seattle

images (9).jpeg

I told this story on another thread but will share it again. When I lived in WV, I used to camp and fish along the river all the time. My girlfriend at the time was an airhead from Phoenix that lived with me.

The first time I took her to the river, she was looking for cool rocks and found half of an old walnut shell. She asked what it was and I told her it was a fossilized pig snout. I have a decent poker face due to nerve damage and a dry sense of humor as well, so I sounded and looked serious. I figured she'd know that I was joking but I guess they don't have many walnut trees in the desert.

Apparently she posted pictures of it on her Facebook and bragged about finding it to people on the mountain. I didn't know until a week or two later when she brought it up again. I laughed so hard that I cried. The look on her face after I told her the truth was priceless!

She ended up dumping me about a month and a half later. She didn't cite the pig snout as being the reason but who knows, might've played a part.

WCB

WKR
Found a Derbyia (clam thing) fossil at 9,000ft in MT. I have various invertebrate and leaf fossils from all over MT, WY, ND.

in the late 70's my dad, grandpa, and a couple of their friends found a set of Mammoth Tusks in or around the Brooks Range in AK while sheep hunting.

Fatcamp

WKR
My crew hunts rocks at all our stops. We find all kinds of stuff. Have one area with two foot diameter turtles eroding out of the soil. Have another with massive amounts of vertebrate fossils. We let it lie so we can return to see it again.

Here is a pretty unique piece of wood from yesterday. Eroding on a shoreline separated the layers.20220813_103151.jpg

Call me stupid but I can't tell what that is for sure. Sheep skull?
It's only a couple inches long. No idea but assume is something that swimmed, crawled or oozed around an ancient sea.

There were tons of desert bighorns before domestic sheep grazing. A petrified horn would be an amazing find!

dkell

FNG
Best examples of stuff I find usually makes it’s way on to those shelves. A lot of the usual stuff like fossilized wood and ammonites. I have also found some decent shells and baculite, even an opalized baculite a while ago. Couple of cool shells that lost their outershell but are completely glass like in their original form.

The outer hull of the Buffalo horn on the shelf is from the last set of wild Buffalo in eastern Montana around 1895~

2nd picture are two pieces of fossilized bone. The one on the right is a ball joint of some kind. Someone I know found a set of crystallized vertebrae which was pretty cool.

3rd picture I still have no idea what it is. I have gotten some hypothesis of fossilized roots, but to me looks man made. Could’ve been a 5 year old chiseling on a piece of sandstone for all I know. It’s crazy what you find outside when you stop to loon around!

Attachments

• BF759B54-9DAB-466C-8C6B-9ACBADE70E12.jpeg
    BF759B54-9DAB-466C-8C6B-9ACBADE70E12.jpeg
    203 KB · Views: 78
  • E88FC83C-3BE9-4B35-A4F2-E1C695753A4B.jpeg
    E88FC83C-3BE9-4B35-A4F2-E1C695753A4B.jpeg
    190.5 KB · Views: 77
  • C75ECDA1-98DF-4A25-A0A2-DB61688A03EB.jpeg
    C75ECDA1-98DF-4A25-A0A2-DB61688A03EB.jpeg
    278.8 KB · Views: 78

Sherman

WKR
When I lived in California there were a few places near Bakersfield that we would find shark teeth. Now I am in Colorado and have found spots in the eastern plains where we find shark teeth. I love finding chunks of flint that are not native to Colorado. I always imagine the trade route and bartering that went along with how it got this far. Most of it is native to the Midwest. We often find arrow heads and beads as well.

It's only a couple inches long. No idea but assume is something that swimmed, crawled or oozed around an ancient sea.

There were tons of desert bighorns before domestic sheep grazing. A petrified horn would be an amazing find!
I see two different types of coral in @mtnrunner260 's post.
and elfin runes in @dkell 's third picture.

Tagging for my petrified wood story but I gotta get a couple pictures.

Last edited:

Glendon Mullins

Hillbilly Moderator
Staff member
View attachment 438946

I told this story on another thread but will share it again. When I lived in WV, I used to camp and fish along the river all the time. My girlfriend at the time was an airhead from Phoenix that lived with me.

The first time I took her to the river, she was looking for cool rocks and found half of an old walnut shell. She asked what it was and I told her it was a fossilized pig snout. I have a decent poker face due to nerve damage and a dry sense of humor as well, so I sounded and looked serious. I figured she'd know that I was joking but I guess they don't have many walnut trees in the desert.

Apparently she posted pictures of it on her Facebook and bragged about finding it to people on the mountain. I didn't know until a week or two later when she brought it up again. I laughed so hard that I cried. The look on her face after I told her the truth was priceless!

She ended up dumping me about a month and a half later. She didn't cite the pig snout as being the reason but who knows, might've played a part.
If rokslide gave out any kind of awards for posts I would certianly nominate this one LOL, this is awesome