Fouling shots?

Foldem

WKR
OK guys, I have horrible luck with my first shot out of my muzzleloader on my high country hunts. It cost me a dandy this past season. I've noticed at the range that my gun definitely shoots better between shots 2-5. I've always been worried about barrel corrosion from carrying a dirty gun for the whole 5-9 day hunt. What do you guys think? Is it an issue to pop a shot off at the trail head before I head up?

I shoot my scoped rifle and bow just fine with buck fever, but something about that muzzleloader gives me issues.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Kevin, after shooting over a 1000 rounds through several muzzleloaders, I've concluded that the best accuracy comes after that fouling shot. Check out prbullet.com. Cecil is one of the best in the business and he advoctes it.

bowinhand

WKR
Also look into sulfur free powders like triple seven, blackhorn 209, American pioneer and the like so you don't have too worry about corrosion as much as with powders with sulfur. I usually go to the range the week before season and make sure everything is good to go with the gun 3shot group then clean then a foul shot. I've also found that my gun shoots best between 2-5 shots.

Jim Carr

Super Moderator
Staff member
I run a dry patch after every shot (can go 2 shots without running a patch without any noticable differnce in a hunting situation) and always need a fouling shot after a good cleaning with solivent .In this way I can have around 10 good shots as long as i use a nipple pick after about 5 shots.I have my cleaning jag attached to my ramrod at all times,this system works good while in the field during nasty weather you will inevitability get moisture in your barrel and trust me a couple days hunting in cold moist weather your muzzeloader will have a good chance of going pop instead of boom.

I foul the barrel of my Encore with a 209 primer and that gives me the accuracy I need without any corrosion worries. I use Blackhorn 209 and clean with Hoppe's.

I also keep the end of my barrel covered with high quality electrical tape. There is no change in bullet impact and it keeps the bore clean and dry. I have left a powder charge in a month in hunting conditions and had no problem with ignition at the end of the season.

B

bearguide

do not use a fouling shot if you are shooting real black powder. black powder leaves a residue which becomes harder over time. it is very corrosive. the black powder competition shooters clean or soften the powder in there barrels after every shot to maintain accuracy. if you fire a shot, then wait for a few days to shoot again, your barrel will have residue in it which will not be consistent from day to day

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I cover my bore with tape, too, and haven't had a problem. The little "condoms" they make work great but slip off too easily.