Found a huge buck for the area. Need advice.

While there are some animals that choose not to be nomadic or migrate, this behavior happens everywhere mule deer exist. It has been studied at length. Here is one study specifically dealing with southern California mule deer;

I will agree that mule deer do often develop a summer range that can be quite small. When they choose to leave that area can be anyone's guess though. There are a lot of factors that vary by region that cause them to move.

Nice study. Since the OP did not disclose the location (I advise him to not) there is no way to know if the deer in his area migrate. From what the OP has stated, I presume the deer in his area are non-migratory. As such, unfortunately the article you reference would not be applicable. But, if I am wrong, it of course would, and the OP should carefully read it.

Laramie

WKR
Nice study. Since the OP did not disclose the location (I advise him to not) there is no way to know if the deer in his area migrate. From what the OP has stated, I presume the deer in his area are non-migratory. As such, unfortunately the article you reference would not be applicable. But, if I am wrong, it of course would, and the OP should carefully read it.

He literally disclosed his location in the first 2 lines. I respectfully disagree with your opinion. I am a wildlife and fisheries biology major that studied mule deer for a significant part of my education. I have spent time studying them across all areas they are found. A percentage of mule deer are nomadic, regardless of where they are found. Some do keep a relatively small range when they aren't influenced by extremes in weather and available food. However, even in those instances, a good percentage of the bucks in those herds, and some of the does, will be migratory. Dispersal can go 250+ miles for a single animal.

"I live in Southern California in and unincorporated part of Los Angeles County "

He never disclosed where he is hunting, only where he lives. The reality is that it could be several zones. Granted with the pictures, if someone put in effort, they might find the location if it is in-fact one of the zones boarding Los Angeles.

2rocky

WKR
A lot can happen between June and when season opens in September. Those mountains do get snow when precipitation and Cool weather coincide, but usually lack of water up high drives the deer down to lower levels and closer to Residential areas.

My recommendation would be to look for mapped springs near by. Most topo maps would have them. If they have a stream outlet you might look farther down the hill to see if there are lower areas with standing water. Not sure if the rut will start before the end of rifle season but he could travel to find does by then.

Many a mountain monarch that was named and recognized on the winter range in Wyoming was never spotted in the summer. So don't feel bad if he gives you the slip.

FYI the determination of species in LA County depends on where he is found.

LOS ANGELES- Mule/Pacific Hybrid deer
Deer taken north of highway 138 and east of Interstate 5 and east of highway 14 are mule deer. Deer taken south of highway 138 and west of Interstate 5 and west of highway 14 are pacific hybrid deer.

FWIW LA county has 5 of the 6 top Typical and NonTypical Pacific Hybrid Deer in the California Bowman Hunters Records

http://www.cbhbgc.com/Records/PacificHybridDeer

Hope you can keep an eye on him. It is a special thing when you follow one before the season but "loose lips sink ships". I'd not mention the presence of that deer to anyone who lives in SoCal. Good bowhunters have a radar for big buck sightings.

bohntr

WKR
I bowhunted that unit for 40 years. Believe it or not, there are a few slammer bucks for that unit. They are classified by the state archery record book (CBH) as Pacific Hybrids. They are classified as mule deer for P&Y and B&C....although there are none listed, as genetically, they just don't attain the size needed for thos books.

A few things to understand. That buck will be in the same general location when the archery season opens in September. Keep tabs on him and don't pressure him. FIND the nearby water source.....it won't be too far. The deer in that unit rut early......most strip their velvet by mid July and the peak of the rut is in mid-October.

If you're a bowhunter, you have a good chance of hunting him on the Front range. If a rifle hunter, you may want to review the LA County firearm closure map. MOST of the front range in LA County is bowhunting only and no firearm hunting. Just an FYI.

Here's one of the best bucks I arrowed in that unit......an older aged class, dark-horned non-typical. It's tough country to hunt, with few deer, but I hunted it annually.......until I retired and moved to a MUCH better state for bowhunting! :) Good luck!Hybrid Non-typical 009.jpg

Jim Carr

Super Moderator
Staff member
After hearing about the country you found him in . I'm betting he sticks close to where you found him. I have found big old bucks in obscure places that they fill secure in and they tend to stick to those places.

John Kimble

Lil-Rokslider
Good luck! I can't wait to hear how this hunt plays out. Hopefully you find him opening day.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Pacific_Fork

Well Known Rokslider
I hunt similar country in Azone wilderness. I find the bucks stay in the same general 40-50 acre areas each year. The last two years Ive seen the only 4x4 Ive ever found in this country and he is very mature. He hangs out in the same small patch of dirt all year. Problem is getting within shooting range at the right time I spot him from 800 yards away. Ive had 2 opportunities out of more than a dozen times spotting him. I dont even want to talk about it haha. Coastal bucks are the hardest to hunt IMO because there is so much cover/brush/poison oak to crawl through.

452b264

Lil-Rokslider
I would scout (glass) far enough away so there was no chance of bumping him. I dont worry if I bump a big buck once but the second time you may never find him again during that season as they will move off to a secondary part of their home range. Good luck and post him up after season.

OP
TRUSAVAGE

TRUSAVAGE

FNG
Thank you all for the taking the time to impart some wisdom on me. I am definitely not a trophy hunter by any means but I usually hold out for the largest bucks I find during the scouting season. The area does get a lot of pressure during the general season and is starting to see more pressure every year during the archery season. With that being said the larger deer ive seen usually disappear or become nocturnal before the season even starts. "BUT"
I extremely happy to say that after 3 separate scouting trips and a lot of luck,
I finally found him again!!! He's a big cactus buck! And pretty old looking (white rings completely around the eyes and pronounced Roman nose. I found him bedded not far from where I originally seen him.
In the early afternoon I located him in a deep rut only visible from a very narrow angle.
I watched him till dark and am certain that he was unaware of my presence. What surprised me is that he never got up out of his bed! I watched until it was to dark to see anything. Spent the night well away from his location and Looked again the next morning. Couldn't find him.
This isn't normal, this early right?
I was careful to never skyline myself, moved slowly to avoid noise and even never got closer than 650-800 yrds.
Starting to feel outa my league on this guy. I'm going to keep trying. If anything, it's pretty amazing to see my first cactus buck.
Does anyone have experience with these bucks? Are they naturally nocturnal by nature? I've only ever seen them on trail cam photos.
On the stern advice from some of you I will wait until after the season to post photos. Thank you again for any input fellas.

amack26

Lil-Rokslider
I have hunted similar terrain to what is shown in the picture. If you have a trail cam or 2 I'd say drop a few in the area. Keep tabs on him and when season rolls around slip an arrow through him. He didn't get that big because he is dumb... he could take off tomorrow and you may never see him. I managed a chunk of property for a family friend and we ran 6 trail cams across the property and there were "resident" deer and deer that would show up we would watch them for a few days and they would be on their way. The two on the outside are Wyoming's mule deer. The one in the middle is a 3x4 coastal hybrid. I shot him with my bow at 75 yards through the heart, he ran down hill, rolled head over hoof, and broke his front crab claw. Stay persistent the picture of him through the spotter was taken a month prior to killing him. We didn't see him for 3 and a half weeks and he was back like he never left.IMG_3723.jpg
IMG_3770.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is normal behavior for a mature buck as you describe. He us in his home area. Likely, if he is not blown out, he will be in his home area until he dies. Additionally, he is not likely to be a cactus buck. If you want some help with him, with a guarantee I will never hunt the area, shoot me a PM. I have my own honey holes.

Marble

WKR
The op needs a spotter and a phone scope attachment of some type so we can all be jealous.

The cheap attachments on Amazon work well enough.

huntngolf

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you all for the taking the time to impart some wisdom on me. I am definitely not a trophy hunter by any means but I usually hold out for the largest bucks I find during the scouting season. The area does get a lot of pressure during the general season and is starting to see more pressure every year during the archery season. With that being said the larger deer ive seen usually disappear or become nocturnal before the season even starts. "BUT"
I extremely happy to say that after 3 separate scouting trips and a lot of luck,
I finally found him again!!! He's a big cactus buck! And pretty old looking (white rings completely around the eyes and pronounced Roman nose. I found him bedded not far from where I originally seen him.
In the early afternoon I located him in a deep rut only visible from a very narrow angle.
I watched him till dark and am certain that he was unaware of my presence. What surprised me is that he never got up out of his bed! I watched until it was to dark to see anything. Spent the night well away from his location and Looked again the next morning. Couldn't find him.
This isn't normal, this early right?
I was careful to never skyline myself, moved slowly to avoid noise and even never got closer than 650-800 yrds.
Starting to feel outa my league on this guy. I'm going to keep trying. If anything, it's pretty amazing to see my first cactus buck.
Does anyone have experience with these bucks? Are they naturally nocturnal by nature? I've only ever seen them on trail cam photos.
On the stern advice from some of you I will wait until after the season to post photos. Thank you again for any input fellas.
Why are you feeling out of your league?? You have already spotted this deer a few times, that puts you way ahead of anyone else that might be hunting the same area. Old mature deer are very killable, and now that you know his home area you have a huge advantage. Even if this buck is only seen once out of every 10 scouting trips, that one time will be all that is needed once season starts. My advice would be to not burn yourself out looking for him every day now, every couple weeks is all you need. Once season is closer ramp up the scouting trips and get him more dialed in. As others have said, if he is comfortable there and has food and water he won’t be leaving

OP
TRUSAVAGE

TRUSAVAGE

FNG
Why are you feeling out of your league?? You have already spotted this deer a few times, that puts you way ahead of anyone else that might be hunting the same area. Old mature deer are very killable, and now that you know his home area you have a huge advantage. Even if this buck is only seen once out of every 10 scouting trips, that one time will be all that is needed once season starts. My advice would be to not burn yourself out looking for him every day now, every couple weeks is all you need. Once season is closer ramp up the scouting trips and get him more dialed in. As others have said, if he is comfortable there and has food and water he won’t be leaving
Thank you for your words of encouragement. I'll do my best to get it done. it's just that I'm beginning to question my exaggerated skills. Especiall when an animal like this appears in a area that I know better than my own back yard. Every ridge ,canyon , game trail and drainage in it. To realize that this guy has probably lived here this whole time. Watching and hiding over the years. at this point there's one thing I know for sure, This bucks ability to avoid detection under my obsessive watch over the years is definitely humbling. Got me searching for answers. Thanks again rokslide community.

JNDEER

WKR
Stag buck.... let’s see some good clear pics cause the one you first posted didn’t appear to be “stagish”

Don’t discount yourself yet.... I know a lot of guys been telling you these big ones stay in the same area... blah blah blah... fact is we really don’t know for sure and can only hypothesize... coming from someone who hunts the same freakin areas year after year... IMO that’s just not true. Big bucks can and do move around and Lately I see it much much more associated with Bear/cougar pressure. Just an opinion of another hunter who refuses to say that 90% of the years I hunted the “big guys” evaded me only to be seen the small handful of times despite living in the same area year after year.

Marble

WKR
A stag buck, one with no or damaged testicles, doesnt have to be old. It can be very young.

Like said above, get a spotter of some type and an attachment to take a decent photo. Then we can get a good idea of what we are dealing with.

My wife killed one several years ago. It was a mature buck. Looked like it had been hit by a car and broke antlers, stayed in velvet,had tiny little balls.

OP
TRUSAVAGE

TRUSAVAGE

FNG
A lot can happen between June and when season opens in September. Those mountains do get snow when precipitation and Cool weather coincide, but usually lack of water up high drives the deer down to lower levels and closer to Residential areas.

My recommendation would be to look for mapped springs near by. Most topo maps would have them. If they have a stream outlet you might look farther down the hill to see if there are lower areas with standing water. Not sure if the rut will start before the end of rifle season but he could travel to find does by then.

Many a mountain monarch that was named and recognized on the winter range in Wyoming was never spotted in the summer. So don't feel bad if he gives you the slip.

FYI the determination of species in LA County depends on where he is found.

FWIW LA county has 5 of the 6 top Typical and NonTypical Pacific Hybrid Deer in the California Bowman Hunters Records

http://www.cbhbgc.com/Records/PacificHybridDeer

Hope you can keep an eye on him. It is a special thing when you follow one before the season but "loose lips sink ships". I'd not mention the presence of that deer to anyone who lives in SoCal. Good bowhunters have a radar for big buck sightings.
Thank you so much for that information. My brother and I grew up hunting Pacific hybrids and the mature ones are quite a challenge. Im not an expert on mule deer subspecies, but when I see photos of PH kills I can usually tell what side of interstate5 it was taken from. But I had no idea that 80"s qualifies for an archery record. Gotten a few in that range, but nothing like that beast in your photo. That's awesome.

Rizzy

WKR
That unit your hunting gets tons of pressure, you found an overlooked spot. If he moves far from there wouldn’t that put him in more heavily hunted areas which would have got him killed by now?