Found a Monster Skull

Here’s the size of the molars on a 7 1/2’ interior grizzly.
4192026aa42ea4f08f3b7fd014f7613a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sweet find! Is there a way to tell if it was a boar or sow grizz based off of those measurements?

sneaky

"DADDY"
As mentioned above Molar size is a definitive determination for brown/grizz vs Black bears.

Lower 48 grizz are still endangered. Not legal to posses no matter what. Only exception would be donate to a school. And then they need a letter from the feds to posses.

My guess is a male grizz based on size/ over 20” , the length is very long in proportion and the sutures on the skull have not fully developed. Bet it was in the 6 year old range. Doesn’t have a sow size or shape.

Giant black bear would have more calcification like the other pics posted next to tape measure and sutures fully grown like the one coop posted.

My advise is measure to get confirmation and turn it with location info or just get rid of it. The fact you posted online has FWP/feds on notice.
Perhaps you should read the regulations yourself before you accuse someone of doing something illegal. MT law says you can't sell or purchase grizzly bear parts or mounts, doesn't say anything about possessing parts from natural death.
c27ad8559e19b37b359dcc3048f18855.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
Perhaps you should read the regulations yourself before you accuse someone of doing something illegal. MT law says you can't sell or purchase grizzly bear parts or mounts, doesn't say anything about possessing parts from natural death.

Where did you find that? I looked and didn't see anything.

dieNqvrs

Lil-Rokslider

Perhaps you slow ur roll and educate yourself! MT state law does not apply, yes Grizz are Classified as a game species in MT, but............Federal law supersedes MT law when animal is listed. You are more than welcome to look it up in the federal register and get ur learn on. Call the region 3 bear bio. He will tell you the same! Listed covers all L48 so ID & WY same.

Broomd

WKR
TSA got a kick outta my skull going through carry-on inspection, course it wasn't all gnarly like yours... Grin.

You could measure one of the top molars. I have an uncle that found a grizz skull and that’s how he determined what it was. If I hadn’t have heard it from him I never would of thought about measuring the teeth.

zbb, thanks for posting that document. My bears line right up with it....3 black bears I measured are all less than 1'1/8" rear molar length and the grizzly and brown are well over 1-1/8".

Interesting that my biggest bear is a polar bear...25-5/16" P&Y skull and his molars are barely over 1-1/8" at 1.16".

MeatBuck

WKR
Grizzly bears are NOT listed as an endangered species.
Listed as “Least Concern” as shown here by Brian Call aka Gritty Bowmen in his most recent video release.

...but of course I can’t get the fN screen shot to upload here so here’s the link to the video.

Around the 8:00 mark while they’re watching the grizzlies some facts pop up in the lower left corner of screen.

MattB

WKR

Given that list outlines the things you are able to legally possess and it does not include bear skulls/bones, doesn't that imply you are not allowed to legally possess those?