Found the magic load but...

Jakeweb09

WKR
So I found the perfect load for my rifle (CA ridgeline 6.5 creedmore) shot some great groups well under half moa but had a problem with it. The OAL is just a bit long for the mag box and feed ramp. They shoot lights out but need to be single fed. That’s not a problem on range Days but it’s my go to deer rifle and I prefer to have a backup round in the gun for a follow up since hunting isn’t as controlled and perfect as the range. I’ve found some acceptable loads that will fit but would like to have the option of some more room on seating depth. So my question is what would be the best way to remedy this? I’ve done a bit of reading on the V notch mod and maybe a new bottom metal/mag box? what would you all recommend? Also not sure if this is the proper spot or if I should have put this in the firearms forum

tdhanses

WKR
What’s the mag box length? Doesn’t CA use AICS compatible bottom metal? See if it’s the same as the accurate mags, might get that little extra room needed. The accurate mags are 2.95.

OP
J

Jakeweb09

WKR
What’s the mag box length? Doesn’t CA use AICS compatible bottom metal? See if it’s the same as the accurate mags, might get that little extra room needed. The accurate mags are 2.95.

I believe it’s exactly 2.90. So that would buy me a little extra but I think the bullet tip will catch the feed ramp. So can a smith take a bit off the ramp or do you think that would make it feed poorly

Have you tried loading just to barely fit in the magazine? If so were the groups notably bigger? What is the measured difference in max mag length and your tack driving load you worked up?

tdhanses

WKR
Have you tried loading just to barely fit in the magazine? If so were the groups notably bigger? What is the measured difference in max mag length and your tack driving load you worked up?

I’ve experienced ES variances of 20 just in seating so I get why he’s having a hard time but with Berger’s I've also found I have a range of about .02 to play with before I see significant changes.

I’ve experienced ES variances of 20 just in seating so I get why he’s having a hard time but with Berger’s I've also found I have a range of about .02 to play with before I see significant changes.
Oh no doubt, the variance can be there. But how much? I get the problem as well. In my rifle the 162 ELD-X can have about .010 - .012 max play. In some instances that may be enough to fit the mag and still shoot lights out.

tdhanses

WKR
Oh no doubt, the variance can be there. But how much? I get the problem as well. In my rifle the 162 ELD-X can have about .010 - .012 max play. In some instances that may be enough to fit the mag and still shoot lights out.

It is a good question, I’m assuming the op has checked this already but maybe not.

OP
J

Jakeweb09

WKR
It’s about .03 different. I have a load I just barely fit in there that still shoots pretty damn well but just not quite as good. So the other box would work, but there’s the issue of the feed ramp is the big problem, as the rounds I have now just about graze it, And the longer loads would catch it. I guess I should just phone a smith and see what we can come up with. I’m getting ready to order up a Mesa altitude stock and want to have this taken care of before I order and fit it.

OP
J

Jakeweb09

WKR
It’s shooting the shorter load pretty well but just seems to have the slightest horizontal stringing when I take it to longer ranges. So id like to have that wiggle room to stretch em back out and hopefully lose that.

Last edited:

tdhanses

WKR
It’s shooting the shorter load pretty well but just seems to have the slightest horizontal stringing when I take it to longer ranges. So id like to have that wiggle room to stretch em back out and hopefully loose that.

Have you loaded to fit the mag box and then tested different loads at that seated depth? You may find that a slight change in your charge weight brings it right back into the node but hard to say without testing.

What bullet? If Berger’s they like a big jump.

Its probably my ignorance and unfamiliarity of the CA but I don't understand the problem with the feeding issue? If it fits in the mag in my Tikkas and Sako, it feeds into the chamber as well. What am I missing?

OP
J

Jakeweb09

WKR
Its probably my ignorance and unfamiliarity of the CA but I don't understand the problem with the feeding issue? If it fits in the mag in my Tikkas and Sako, it feeds into the chamber as well. What am I missing?

no you’re not off with this. That’s still how it works. Tdhanses mentioned trying the AICS mags by accurate arms as they are .05 longer then the Christensen mag box, that would solve the issue with fitting in the mag box but the feed ramp on the action would still be too tight. Therefore while cycling to the second round the tip of the bullet will catch the feed ramp. As is, completely factory if it fits in the mag it feeds

OP
J

Jakeweb09

WKR
Ive read about a V mod, and I’m not sure if I’m understanding it correctly. But it sounds like people are putting a v notch in the feed ramp to clear the longer rounds? I’m wondering if that can cause an issues, or if I’m completely misunderstanding the whole V notch thing