Four (4) Deadly Reasons Why You Should Not Purchase Or Use A Floorless Shelter

• Thread starter Deleted member 52995
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 52995

Hantavirus Hemorraghic Fever (HFRS) ... Hantavirus Pulmonary Syndrome (HPS) ... Leptospirosis ... Lymphocytic Chloriomeningitis (LCMV) ... and there are others ...... Rodents, especially field mice urinate frequently. Mouse urine, as well as saliva, and feces dry, turn to dust, and become aerosolized spreading viruses, and bacteria through the air. These aerosolized diseases can be inhaled by humans causing serious illness, and death. A sewn in floor may add weight, bulk, and require cleaning but owning a floorless shelter can bring you in close contact with rodents that carry, and transmit diseases which can not only make you sick but can cause your death, as well as serious illness, and the death of friends, and family members who share your floorless shelter. Think four "4" times before you purchase a floorless shelter.....

Last edited by a moderator:
Has this ever happened? Seems like there’s at least be a story or two out there if so.

Drenalin

WKR
I’ve never heard of it happening from sleeping outside on the ground, but I guess it’s possible. Still, rare at best. There are a lot more than four reasons to stay home and never go outside, and most of them probably have a much higher chance of killing you than mouse piss. I’d still rather risk it, but I’ve never been one to worry or preach about things that “might” get you.

OP
D

Deleted member 52995

Sure thing chief.

How many days does it take for mouse turds to become aerosolized?
"Prevent Hantavirus Pulmonary Syndrome : A guide for tourists, campers, and hikers" ... Center For Disease Control And Prevention .. August 1, 2017 ..... "To minimize the risk for Hantavirus infection follow these precautions : .... Avoid sleeping on bare ground, use a tent with a floor, mat .." ........ And "Chief," thank you for your informative, and rational commentary .... 🐁🐀🎪🐁

magtech

Lil-Rokslider
Hantavirus Hemorraghic Fever (HFRS) ... Hantavirus Pulmonary Syndrome (HPS) ... Leptospirosis ... Lymphocytic Chloriomeningitis (LCMV) ... and there are others ...... Rodents, especially field mice urinate frequently. Mouse urine, as well as saliva, and feces dry, turn to dust, and become aerosolized spreading viruses, and bacteria through the air. These aerosolized diseases can be inhaled by humans causing serious illness, and death. A sewn in floor may add weight, bulk, and require cleaning but owning a floorless shelter can bring you in close contact with rodents that carry, and transmit diseases which can not only make you sick but can cause your death, as well as the death of friends, and family members who share your floorless shelter. Think four "4" times before you purchase a floorless shelter.....
Why don't I get these diseases walking behind someone. Why don't I get them around horses. Why don't I get them just walking in the woods....

And most importantly, why are you wasting my time?

Drenalin

WKR
Well according to the follow up info from the CDC, we’re safe (thankfully). Unless some of you are going without a groundsheet or pad. In that case, it’s on you when you butcher your own family with rodent waste. You’ve been warned!

Jimss

WKR
I imagine a lot depends on where you set up your floor less and if there are even mice in the area? Is hantavirus more common in certain states or areas? I don’t think I’ve ever had a mouse in my flourless while hunting wyo Alaska and colo the past 40+ years?

OP
D

Deleted member 52995

I imagine a lot depends on where you set up your floor less and if there are even mice in the area? Is hantavirus more common in certain states or areas? I don’t think I’ve ever had a mouse in my flourless while hunting wyo Alaska and colo the

I imagine a lot depends on where you set up your floor less and if there are even mice in the area? Is hantavirus more common in certain states or areas? I don’t think I’ve ever had a mouse in my flourless while hunting wyo Alaska and colo the past 40+ years?
It's estimated that 15% to 20% of field mice carry Hantavirus. Fortunately, the virus dies when exposed to sunlight, and the North American strains of the disease cannot be transmitted from person to person. According to the Washington State Dept. of Health, and the Mayo Clinic, campers and hikers are at much greater risk of exposure. In addition, the Mayo Clinic has estimated that Hantavirus Pulmonary Syndrome has a "mortality rate of 30%." Any benefit(s) of floorless tents or shelters (if there are any) clearly don't compensate for the substantially greater risk of exposure, and infection.

I tend to use my floorless without a nest when there’s snow on the ground. Mosquitoes, black flies and ticks give me reason to use the nest when it’s warmer. I can add Hantavirus to that list. My floorless shelter has to be better and safer than the old cabin on my buddy’s family’s property in WY.

Status
Not open for further replies.