Four (4) Deadly Reasons Why You Should Not Purchase Or Use A Floorless Shelter

• Thread starter Deleted member 52995
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

whaack

WKR
"Prevent Hantavirus Pulmonary Syndrome : A guide for tourists, campers, and hikers" ... Center For Disease Control And Prevention .. August 1, 2017 ..... "To minimize the risk for Hantavirus infection follow these precautions : .... Avoid sleeping on bare ground, use a tent with a floor, mat .." ........ And "Chief," thank you for your informative, and rational commentary ....

Wow. Just wow. If you’re worried about this type of thing maybe back country just isn’t in the cards for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rob5589

WKR

180ls1

WKR
Honestly, I dont want a snake crawling in. Not sure what the odds are but I am not risking it.

Artanis95

Lil-Rokslider
Honestly, I dont want a snake crawling in. Not sure what the odds are but I am not risking it.

Now this makes a forgivable argument.
Which reminds Me of a story, On a hunt with a buddy who didn't have a tent of his own so I took a 6 man tipi He is worried to death about snakes but big deal it's October, Anywho We're sitting there eating dinner when the Rangers roll up on Us just being nosey and My buddy is super excited to tell them about these river otters he'd seen earlier, Ranger says he's worked the area for 35 years and never seen an otter then they started asking about the tent and asked if having no floor if it keeps snakes out my buddy pipes up F no Ranger says ahhh be alright We don't have many of them up here anyway after they leave I ask if the Rangers eased his fears about snakes in the tent and without missing a beat says hell naw Mother FR's worked here for 35 years and ain't never seen them otters either😂😂😂

180ls1

WKR
Now this makes a forgivable argument.
Which reminds Me of a story, On a hunt with a buddy who didn't have a tent of his own so I took a 6 man tipi He is worried to death about snakes but big deal it's October, Anywho We're sitting there eating dinner when the Rangers roll up on Us just being nosey and My buddy is super excited to tell them about these river otters he'd seen earlier, Ranger says he's worked the area for 35 years and never seen an otter then they started asking about the tent and asked if having no floor if it keeps snakes out my buddy pipes up F no Ranger says ahhh be alright We don't have many of them up here anyway after they leave I ask if the Rangers eased his fears about snakes in the tent and without missing a beat says hell naw Mother FR's worked here for 35 years and ain't never seen them otters either😂😂😂

Hahaha!

Yeah, I hunt AZ and CA in the warm months as well. I'm not risking it.

I had a buddy when we were younger (kids) place his hand down on a coiled up baby rattler. Luckily he pinned its head down as well and it could not move. He was too scared to pull his hand away so he had to stay with his hand on it untill the ranger showed up with a shovel. That was the scariest 10 mins of his life lol.

FNG
I know of a couple guys staying in a cabin during a deer hunt. They were drunk most of the time and never bothered to wash the dishes, just kept on using them. Both got very ill and one spent a long while in the hospital due to haunta virus.

180ls1

WKR
I know of a couple guys staying in a cabin during a deer hunt. They were drunk most of the time and never bothered to wash the dishes, just kept on using them. Both got very ill and one spent a long while in the hospital due to haunta virus.

This is why you use dirty dishes year-round. Your microbiome will adapt and then you're good to go!

Well they should have known better than to pitch a floor less tent in that cabin. Guess they know now that floor less shelters lead to haunta.

sneaky

"DADDY"
There is still a mouse in orbit from schitting on me when I was bivouacing on the PCT. little bastid kept climbing on my face when i was sleeping. I felt a little mouse steamer hit my neck and i lost it.

I'm kinda excited to see if i can PR on the next one.

Ive had some close calls in the woods, but now i can add, "i got real close to mouse poo."
But, did you die?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
With so many recognized medical authorities nationwide such as the C.D.C., Mayo Clinic, Washington State Department of Health, New York State Department of Health, recognized disease experts at UCSF Medical Center, as well as countless others, in addition to government agencies such as the National Park Service warning campers who use floorless shelters of the increased risks of exposure to not only Hantavirus, but other diseases transmitted by mice as well, it's amazing that any rational sportsman would ignore such warnings. We're not risking $50 on the roll of the dice at a craps table in Las Vegas, or squandering $10 on lotto tickets. The critical loss of one's health , or life for that matter, is clearly good reason for any rational, responsible adult to take "risk averse" precaution. But It's different this time, it couldn't possibly happen to you in your floorless tent or shelter, now could it ? .....
We're Americans.......many of us always have been. What makes America and Americans different than the rest of the world is the how, the why, and the foundation of our nation. The government has the right to distribute information and make RECOMMENDATIONS, but we as citizens have the liberty, the freedom, and the right to assess any and all risks........and then make our own choices for ourselves......on our own. Just because the government (and many individuals it seems these days)......don't like that we choose an avenue different than the one "they want us to choose".......doesn't change that.

Driving is most likely the most dangerous high risk activity that most Americans do in a given day. If anyone goes out of their way to avoid Hantavirus but continues to drive every day......they don't understand risk assessment at all.

You can live your life in fear, or you can just live your life. But God didn't create us with a spirit of fear.

Billinsd

WKR
We're Americans.......many of us always have been. What makes America and Americans different than the rest of the world is the how, the why, and the foundation of our nation. The government has the right to distribute information and make RECOMMENDATIONS, but we as citizens have the liberty, the freedom, and the right to assess any and all risks........and then make our own choices for ourselves......on our own. Just because the government (and many individuals it seems these days)......don't like that we choose an avenue different than the one "they want us to choose".......doesn't change that.

Driving is most likely the most dangerous high risk activity that most Americans do in a given day. If anyone goes out of their way to avoid Hantavirus but continues to drive every day......they don't understand risk assessment at all.

You can live your life in fear, or you can just live your life. But God didn't create us with a spirit of fear.
I read your posts and often think, there are still some of around. Was your dad a pilot? My dad was and he preached to me how safe flying was compared to driving. I always heard of people getting hantavirus in cabins, and thought if I had a cabin, I would want to keep mice out of it. If my cabin did have mice, I'd probably review the guidelines for cleaning up after them. Rats and mice have always been known to carry diseases and to be avoided. I don't go anymore out of my way to avoid rats and mice for fear of hantavirus than for caution that they carry all kinds of diseases. But it hasn't stopped my activities. I know someone who got lyme disease in San Diego, who probably got it working outside his house. It almost killed him, because the doctors didn't know what it was. I got lyme disease vaccine, because I often got ticks when hunting. I also try to treat my clothes with Permithrum. I do plan my driving alot, and prefere to drive as little as possible and avoid heavy traffic.

Last edited:

Billinsd

WKR
Statistically greater chance of getting struck my lightening of having a tree fall on your tent.

Status
Not open for further replies.