FPS and arrow weight?

NYlions

FNG
Hello all first time poster but long time lurker and hunter here.

Getting geared up and ready for archery deer and elk season here in Oregon. I am consistently hitting good groups with my set up but recently had the chance to put the arrows through a chronograph. Average speed was around 270 FPS. I know I have some cable stretch as the bow “PSE ramped” is maxed out and pulled 64# at the archery shop.

I am looking for opinions on if this will do the trick shooting a 410 grain arrow total weight with slick trick standards and/or maybe kill zone 2” trophy points. Both weighing in and 100 grains. All opinions and advice is appreciated. Thanks

Steve1662

FNG
My PSE Ramped set to 70 is getting 285 on a 416 grain arrow. I ran G5 montec cs last year and had more then enough speed and ke that get pass thrus on 2 of 3 white tails. 3rd hit front shoulder on the way out. Some would argue its a light setup for elk. Really depends on what you're trying to achieve.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

OP
N

NYlions

FNG
My PSE Ramped set to 70 is getting 285 on a 416 grain arrow. I ran G5 montec cs last year and had more then enough speed and ke that get pass thrus on 2 of 3 white tails. 3rd hit front shoulder on the way out. Some would argue its a light setup for elk. Really depends on what you're trying to achieve.

Thanks for the response with the same bow. I have added a drop away and non rubber peep sight as well.

do you think it would be wiser to run fixed or mechanical? This will primarily be a mule deer hunt.

My arrow is 416 grains total with a QAD Exodus 100 BH. I killed a bull at 68 yards last year with no issue. I’m probably flinging arrows a little bit faster, but I don’t think you’ll have any issues. I’d use a sharp fixed blade.

Steve1662

FNG
do you think it would be wiser to run fixed or mechanical? This will primarily be a mule deer hunt.

I am a fixed blade guy. Some prefer mechanicals. Lots of videos on youtube touting the pros/cons of each. Make sure to tune your bow and both will do the trick. Here is a food series on tuning.

OP
N

NYlions

FNG
I am a fixed blade guy. Some prefer mechanicals. Lots of videos on youtube touting the pros/cons of each. Make sure to tune your bow and both will do the trick. Here is a food series on tuning.

Nice informative video. Thanks! I am hitting good but I still might give that a try.

wapitibob

WKR
Hello all first time poster but long time lurker and hunter here.

Getting geared up and ready for archery deer and elk season here in Oregon. I am consistently hitting good groups with my set up but recently had the chance to put the arrows through a chronograph. Average speed was around 270 FPS. I know I have some cable stretch as the bow “PSE ramped” is maxed out and pulled 64# at the archery shop.

I am looking for opinions on if this will do the trick shooting a 410 grain arrow total weight with slick trick standards and/or maybe kill zone 2” trophy points. Both weighing in and 100 grains. All opinions and advice is appreciated. Thanks

You'll be just fine. I've killed dozens of bulls with close to that setup. 60# and I've never shot a bow that hit 270 and the last one with a slick trick standard went almost full length.

I just put my bow through a chrono,461 grains @ 231 FPS , not an error, 231. Last year I shot through a moose, and I’ve killed a lot of elk with it over the years. I’ve used standards and mags. And viper tricks throughout the years and only once did I feel the BH let me down, but have since only shot standards and vipers. They are great heads, and you have nada to worry about.

Zac

WKR
Waste of money then? I have heard good things about them. Always the chance of anything mechanical failing though.
Do not take them elk hunting. I would only shoot those at turkey with your setup. If you haven't purchased broadheads yet, you probably want to go with a 2 blade for your elk hunt. Iron Will, or Day 6 would be the best. More affordable options would be, Magnus, or Kudu.

Brendan

WKR
I'm with @Zac and others - Your setup is fine, other than the 2" Killzone. I've had those heads bend pretty bad, not a durable head that I trust anymore.

Iron Will are my favorite broadhead, but cheaper and fly great are Wac 'Em, Slick Trick. I just like to give the tip a hone on a diamond stone and make sure all blades are new.

If I was going to shoot a mechanical it'd be a SEVR 1.5" head, maybe an NAP Spitfire. Heavier arrows and 70# would be my choice for those big 2" mechanicals though. I ditched them altogether and have an Iron Will Wide in my quiver which shoots fine for me out to 70 yards.

Iron Will S100 vs. V100:

6ece6d18cd75920b030cc331cf734058.jpg

My arrow is 416 grains total with a QAD Exodus 100 BH. I killed a bull at 68 yards last year with no issue. I’m probably flinging arrows a little bit faster, but I don’t think you’ll have any issues. I’d use a sharp fixed blade.
I have a similar setup. Glad to see the Exodus continuing to do its job.

465 gr gold tip hunters tipped with 2 blade rages @ 297 FPS out of my evo nxt=Muy bueno. Was shooting about a 390 grain arrow at 325 FPS before I made the switch and the new setup offers a lot more penetration

OP
N

NYlions

FNG
Appreciate everyone’s response I am going to stick with the standard slick trick 100 grain. Also thinking about getting some slick trick “viper tricks”. See how they fly if good possible those.

used the video posted above and got my bow even further dialed really liking the way it is shooting at 40 yards right now except for the occasional user pull/error.

Attachments

• 51FD1BE5-E835-48F7-85C8-D2850D902B06.jpeg
    51FD1BE5-E835-48F7-85C8-D2850D902B06.jpeg
    577.1 KB · Views: 30

Holocene

WKR
I'm also in Oregon. Good luck on your upcoming season!

I think that setup is great for deer, but the arrow is light for elk. Definitely agree with Zak and ditch the mechanicals for elk but they could work on deer within reasonable ranges.

For elk, stay with a COC head and keep shot distances close.