Frame Pack/Day Pack

Corey

FNG
Ive searched this site for hours and hours, finally thought ill post a question. Planning a DIY Elk hunt out west next fall, looking for a pack, and need some help. We will be hiking from a base camp, and setting up spike camp each night after hunting. I really like the Kuiu pro 6000 pack, but ive read a lot of negatives about this pack, Im not sure I can swing the $$$ for a Kifaru, Exo, or SG. Is Kuiu really that bad of a pack?

Well I'll be the first guy to answer in this manner, I've never tried a Kuiu but...I have tried Mystery Ranch and right now you can find sales galore on last year's models everywhere. MR redesigned their frame a bit mostly relating to the hip belt so the "old" stuff is being dumped pretty cheap. Like $500 packs for $270 or less cheap. Honestly wouldn't let the redesign issue stop me from buying a super quality pack at a steep discount. Just a thought.

scp

Lil-Rokslider
It’s not. At all. In my closet I have a few Kifaru frames and bags, an Exo K2 and some Exo bags, and I’ve used Stone Glacier products before, too. ALL of the bags and frames are great in their own ways. What isn’t in my closet is a a Kuiu 3600 Pro bag on their carbon frame. That’s because it’s in my garage; I’ve been using it for my twice weekly heavy hikes (70#) after using it for most of the whitetail season in VA this past year.

The Kuiu Pro bags are really impressive so far, and I’ve never had an issue with their carbon frame and I’ve carried nearly 100# on it a few times. Yes, I do like Kuiu stuff. But I also like several other pack companies and their products a whole lot, too. I don’t think you’ll be disappointed if you go the Kuiu Pro route.

OP
C

Corey

FNG
Ok thank you for the replies, just was feeling like my hunt was going to be miserable unless I bought a Kifaru.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I think they have fixed most of the issues at this point. Probably still is t as good as a kifaru or stone glacier but likely much better than some random
Backpacking pack.

that’s good advice about the mystery ranch packs, maybe you could get an MR Marshall for a good price and have a really nice pack.

It’s not. At all. In my closet I have a few Kifaru frames and bags, an Exo K2 and some Exo bags, and I’ve used Stone Glacier products before, too. ALL of the bags and frames are great in their own ways. What isn’t in my closet is a a Kuiu 3600 Pro bag on their carbon frame. That’s because it’s in my garage; I’ve been using it for my twice weekly heavy hikes (70#) after using it for most of the whitetail season in VA this past year.
Same here. If you can pack more weigh than this pack/frame can hold you are a beast of a human. I have loaded around a 100# of elk in this pack many, many times and not once did I think I needed a different pack. I have packs that can supposedly carry a couple hundred pounds, but I definitely can't hump a couple hundred pounds off a 10k+ mountain.

hikenhunt

WKR
I love the layout of the Kuiu packs and have had up to 92 lbs in mine without any issues.

They are a good pack and frame. No kifaru but, you don't need a kifaru to go hunt, kill, and pack elk. Yes, the Kifaru is going to be more comfortable due to the belt and Harness. But, it isn't a stronger frame. No one makes a frame stronger then Kuiu. It does not barrel at all with any weight. It is stiffer the a Kifaru. Which is nice when you get heavy. But, the belt lacks the comfort of a Kifaru. All in all, a Kifaru is a better pack in my opinion. The differences in the two simply has to be experienced to understand. But, if owning a kuiu was the difference in going elk hunting, that is what I would own.

wysongdog

WKR
I've got a older kuiu set up that has been used just a couple realized that I really prefer hunting off my ponies. If you wanna cover the shipping I'll send it you so you can get your hands on it. It's just sitting in my basement.

I would much rather have a mystery ranch, I have a kuiu pack, and my MR pop up does better with a heavy load than my kuiu. a kuiu is still a good amount of money, and a little more money you have a good hauler that will last you many years.

the waist belt on my kuiu got shredded just from carrying a slung rifle... I bought a new belt and shoulder straps for it recently, and i'm gonna set it up for my wife, knowing she won't be hauling much weight.
it's your money and decision, but my kuiu pack is my least favorite I have owned for hauling a lot of weight.... I would much rather have a horn hunter full curl if I was packing much weight often.

mystery ranch packs are in the same price range pretty much as kuiu, and a lot more solid in every aspect.

not bashing kuiu, I own a bunch of their stuff, and their rain gear is the best in the biz, but imo packs aren't their thing

I would much rather have a mystery ranch, I have a kuiu pack, and my MR pop up does better with a heavy load than my kuiu. a kuiu is still a good amount of money, and a little more money you have a good hauler that will last you many years.

the waist belt on my kuiu got shredded just from carrying a slung rifle... I bought a new belt and shoulder straps for it recently, and i'm gonna set it up for my wife, knowing she won't be hauling much weight.
it's your money and decision, but my kuiu pack is my least favorite I have owned for hauling a lot of weight.... I would much rather have a horn hunter full curl if I was packing much weight often.

mystery ranch packs are in the same price range pretty much as kuiu, and a lot more solid in every aspect.

not bashing kuiu, I own a bunch of their stuff, and their rain gear is the best in the biz, but imo packs aren't their thing
my kuiu also goes through load lifter straps like toilet paper at Walmart... don't last long. I have tried smoothing it out, but still bad. they have been good about giving them to me, but it's annoying and doesn't give me the confidence in reliability

JMDavies

WKR
A friend of mine had one of the most invasive back surgeries you can have. He looked high and low for what pack would be the best for his situation and even borrowed both of my Kifaru packs and another friends SG. He ultimately ended up staying with his Kuiu. My point is, packs are like boots, each person is different. I'd go with whatever your budget dictates.

Ok thank you for the replies, just was feeling like my hunt was going to be miserable unless I bought a Kifaru.

Mine would be miserable without my Kifaru ;) when I think about it, the 2 most important pieces of gear I own are my bow, and my pack.

OP
C

Corey

FNG
I've got a older kuiu set up that has been used just a couple realized that I really prefer hunting off my ponies. If you wanna cover the shipping I'll send it you so you can get your hands on it. It's just sitting in my basement.
Where are you located? What size is the Kuiu pack?

Ive searched this site for hours and hours, finally thought ill post a question. Planning a DIY Elk hunt out west next fall, looking for a pack, and need some help. We will be hiking from a base camp, and setting up spike camp each night after hunting. I really like the Kuiu pro 6000 pack, but ive read a lot of negatives about this pack, Im not sure I can swing the $$$ for a Kifaru, Exo, or SG. Is Kuiu really that bad of a pack?
You may be able to find a used Kifaru.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk