Frame Size..Do I need a taller frame?

Hoping you guys can help me out with the Kuiu frame. I'm 5'9 and have what I think is a pretty average torso/leg length. I initially measured my torso at 16.5" (by myself), and according to Kuiu's frame size chart, a regular frame is for >17" torso and under 5' 10". I was fitting my pack today and I'm wondering if I should exchange for the tall frame rather than the regular. It seems to me like the frame should maybe be a little higher relative to my ear, and the load lifter angle should be a little steeper, but this is my first pack, so I'm asking you guys.

I had someone else re-measure my torso and I'm more like 17.5".

If I move the shoulder straps down further, the load lifter attachment point seems too far back.

6L9U4eK.jpg

SVvfuGq.jpg

FiHSHSG.jpg

ljalberta

WKR
I'd go taller. Better to have a little extra height, especially as the pack gets heavier.

Don't move the harness. It fits perfect. And, understand that a lot of people over frame themselves.

As far as a taller frame, What are you using if for? If you intend to pack really big weight regularly, then I'd get a taller frame. If you intend to pack 70 pounds or less most times, you are FINE. 70 pounds is heavy. But, you have enough angle to release the pressure off the back and top of the shoulders with what you got. i can see it in the picture. You can slide your fingers under the harness on the back of the shoulders. "Lift" has been accomplished. That height frame is perfect for hunting with at you height as well.

My final answer is only you can answer that. So, load up 50 pounds and hump it for a mile or so. Do that a couple times to get the feel for it. Then move up to 70=80 pounds. if your shoulders aren't sore after that, you are golden with the frame you have

FURMAN

WKR
I would go taller. I would always go as tall as I could as long as the setup does not hit my head when I lean back. I am close to average everything 5'10" 165-170 and I am currently running a Seek Revo 28" and it is super comfortable with no weight clear up to 100lbs.

If your waist belt and load lifters are tight enough it shouldn't move down but an inch or so even with 100lbs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Owenst7

WKR
Every big backpack manufacturer states that if you are in between sizes on frame length to size up. I don't see much if any gap at your traps. I'd go for the taller frame if I were in your shoes.

OP
cornfedkiller
Is there a disadvantage(s) of having a frame that is too tall? Any downsides to getting the next size taller?

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Is there a disadvantage(s) of having a frame that is too tall? Any downsides to getting the next size taller?

Only thing I’ve heard is that some people have trouble tilting their head back. I use a 28” kifaru frame and don’t have that issue.

LaHunter

WKR
I think your frame stays are too short, not giving much load lift ability. The Kuiu ‘regular’ frame is 22”. The tall is 24”, pretty sure. I prefer the stays to be about even with my ears to provide enough lift.

gphil

Lil-Rokslider
If you are hunting in alot of thick brush and going under alot of wind falls a more compact frame is nicer as it will get hung up less and you dont have to bend over as far with a more compact pack system

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

LaHunter

WKR
Even with the bottom or tops of your ears?
For me, as long as the stays are at least up to the bottom of my ears, but not higher than the tops of my ears with 40-50 lbs loaded in the pack, I call that good. I get good 'load lift' at that height / load lifter angle. The Kuiu frame (which I have) is sized in 2" increments: 22", 24", & 26", so if sizing up or down, then you will be making a 2" change in the location of where the stays will come up to.
Hope this answers your question.

Firebug93

FNG
I tried a tall and the angle is now about 45*. Here is a tall vs regular.34C30DBE-12DD-45FB-9D51-C0563ECD779F.jpeg82459BF1-976D-4DB9-930B-F92EB5627F12.jpeg

Last edited: