Frame upgrade for Granite Gear Special Mission Patrol

I did this modification a couple years ago, not sure why I didn't post this earlier but either way here it is.

The stock Special Mission Patrol pack is a nice little daypack sized bag and frame. Granite Gear makes some really well made tactical stuff, or at least they did, not sure if they still make it or not. The pack was modified when I bought it, the original owner cut out the divider panel which separated two parts of the bag, and I actually preferred this, since neither side would be very deep to accommodate bulky layers for whitetail hunting. I believe it shares a similar frame system to the nimbus series of outdoor packs but I could be wrong.

The frame is a molded composite which has an effective frame height of about 21 inches when said and done. The pack bag attaches to the frame by sliding over the frame, coming to rest with a sleeve over the top of the frame. The padding for the back is part pack bag. The shoulder straps articulate via some stainless steel hardware that's bolted directly to the frame. Each shoulder strap and the waist belt pivot independently on one point. The stock frame is fairly comfortable but I have a 21" torso and it did not provide any lift from the shoulder straps. The frame isn't nearly as robust as the CHIEF series packs which is why I made the mod.

To start I drilled four holes through the frame sheet. I cut and bent some 3/16" x 3/4" 6061 aluminum stays to the contour of the frame sheet. Then I sewed up two sleeves out of 1.5" webbing for the stays to sit in, and added a ladderloc to the top for the load lifters. Then I attached the stays to the frame using aluminum screw type rivets through the holes I drilled in the frame. I cut two long thin holes in the pack bag so that the stays could slide through. The pack bag already had two zippered access points for hydration tubing or cable routing for military radios so I used those to stick the tops of the stays through.

The next thing I added was a transporter tail from Triple Aught Design. It's a super handy little compression panel that they use on their packs. I happened to have one sitting around and it works great for this pack. I add some 1.5" webbing with a triglide near the bottom of the pack bag in an already existing seam. Then I added some 1" webbing with a common loop at four points so I could add horizatal compression straps.

I have been using this pack for a couple years and for whitetail day hunts it's an awesome little pack. I have carried an entire whitetail doe out strapped between the bag and the transporter tail. I wouldn't call it comfortable but the pack did what I needed it to do for the 1 mile pack out.

I added a stock photo so you can see what it's like before the mods.

I would like to add a forward pull tension system for the belt at some point. I also tried to remove some PALS webbing a couple years ago and put a hole in the front, so I got that to fix as well.
1249ff9ea6bf72c05d877c4231535e70.jpg
9cbc3290d73fd0b787be8e317a0d6cd9.jpg
e4dd68b6e892afef0b3503c6548824cd.jpg
14180c6b2929ff9bd24162937f38955c.jpg
30145f2031098274b958a0cfb153f713.jpg
71f6be4bde618fe19eccdbfb6f64b8e7.jpg
e85a918425ba17686114c1f00c333365.jpg
7c0348f1afeb4df36b0bd44f398e0f6c.jpg
e5dd3ae1641281d705c6ae2e053d7225.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: ZDR

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
Nice Work Don. You have inspired me over years with your ingenuity. Thank you for sharing your projects. I always enjoy them and it really gets folks creativity flowing on what is possible. I sure miss our Kifaru Forums. Wish they would bring them back. We had some amazing posts on that forum and created some amazing bonds with the kifaru crowd.

OP
doncarpenter
Nice Work Don. You have inspired me over years with your ingenuity. Thank you for sharing your projects. I always enjoy them and it really gets folks creativity flowing on what is possible. I sure miss our Kifaru Forums. Wish they would bring them back. We had some amazing posts on that forum and created some amazing bonds with the kifaru crowd.
Agreed! Thanks for the kind words. Means a lot coming from you.

ZDR

WKR
Exactly, the old Kifaru forums were the best. I dont do FB and the google thing they set up when the old forums went away dont seem to work for me. I just gave up on staying in contact. I dont know if they are doing rondys anymore or not.

OP
doncarpenter
I forgot what the frame height was so I measured. The original frame is 22" and the stays that I made are 23". Which for me is a perfect height for a day pack with my torso length.