Franchi Momentum Elite

John87

Lil-Rokslider
I am looking for a new rifle, and am looking at the Franchi Momentum Elite, was looking for any input by those of you that have one. They will be on sale at cabelas this next week, and I haven’t heard that much about them.

Gila

WKR
Not many have been around since they are new this year. I don’t own one. Availability might be part of the problem. The action is a Mauser type like Sako. It is a three lug 60 deg. bolt throw. The trigger is adjustable like the Tikka. The barrel is cold hammer forged with rifling like the Sako (Tikka). Premium recoil pad, pic rail, fluted barrel, muzzle break...MOA guaranteed accuracy like the Tikka. There are a few really nice ergonomic details that Franchi has implemented on their stocks. This is Franchi’s first rifle and they want into the market place are keeping the price low. Italians know firearms and so do the Finns. The 300 win mag barrel twist is a little slow, but if you aren’t going to handload, it should shoot up the 200 grain bullets in factory Ammo just fine. I think the rifle is feature rich and might be a real shooter.

OP
John87

John87

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks, I have looked all over and can’t find out much about these. I think I will try to pick one up next week, in either a .308 or .300

OP
John87

John87

Lil-Rokslider
Well, I picked up a momentum elite in .308, and absolutely love it so far, still deciding on a scope to go on it, but can’t wait to get to shooting it.

OP
John87

John87

Lil-Rokslider
I went ahead and ordered a scope today, I had a leupold vx5 3x15 and sent it back, and today I ordered a Burris Signature HD 3x15, so I will see how they compare. I’m sure the leupold would be better, but for a 700 dollar difference, I’ll see how I like the Burris. Any of you guys have any experience with the Burris signature scopes?

Noish

FNG
What do you think of the French after some time? I'm looking at it in 300 win mag

OP
John87

John87

Lil-Rokslider
Sorry it’s been so long since I have followed up on this, but didn’t want to post on this rifle till I had some time with it and straightened out a problem I’ve been having with my scope.

First off, I really this rifle, and have zero complaints with it, haven’t had any problems with it functioning, the bolt is buttery smooth after cycling it quite a bit, was good to start with, but now it’s awesome. I love the trigger on this rifle, it’s right above 2 lbs.

The problems I’ve had so far has been with my scope, it wants to slip in the rings, and I haven’t been able to remedy this yet, and it has been frustrating, so today I swapped the scope out with a buddies Athlon scope just to verify it was the scope slipping in the rings.
I bore sighted the scope at 100 yards and shot 3 rounds in 5/8” group with my buddies scope, so it looks like it’s either my scope or rings, and I’m pretty sure it’s the rings. This is the first time I’ve ever had a problem like this, and it threw me for awhile trying to figure it out. When I took the scope out of the rings, I could see where it had slipped forward. I’ve read that using some rubber cement on the inside of the rings before mounting can stop it from slipping, so hopefully I will get around to trying that in the next few days, and will let you know how that works out.

OP
John87

John87

Lil-Rokslider
7CAA779F-6A45-41CF-B079-31E1C41BE8C2.jpeg
Here was the last 3 shots from my Burris, and the first 3 from the Athlon, keep in mind that I only bore sighted the Athlon, just wanted to see the grouping, have no intention of keeping the Athlon on the rifle.

What rings are you using?

A quick fix for ring slippage, if you don’t want to lap them, is to line the inside with electrical tape. The problem with that, and the rubber cement method is that you now have a flexible layer between the scope and rings, which may affect performance. If you are not concerned with getting the best possible groups, then it won’t matter that much, but if you are, I would look at getting new rings.

Also, are you torquing the ring screws to the recommended torque?

OP
John87

John87

Lil-Rokslider
Using Burris Zee rings, I just applied a thin layer of silicone sealant inside the rings and remounted the scope. I’m going to let it cure for a day or so before testing it, if I still have an issue with slippage or it effects accuracy, I will switch out for new rings.

OP
John87

John87

Lil-Rokslider
Haven’t been shooting much lately, but that seemed to fix the issue. I gave it a week or so and did not have any issues with the scope slipping through the mounts, but I still have that feeling in the back of my mind, that it will. Or that it will slip or get bumped before use, so I will probably order new mounts for the scope, and change it out.

Gila

WKR
The torque settings have to be exact and should use friction paper in the bottom rings. I have Burris rings for a Tikka T3 base which are basically the same as the Zee rings. The rings came with friction paper. The scope hasn’t moved for years now and I have shot it quite a bit. The rings are on a 30mm tube though, which has more surface area pressure from the rings to hold the scope in place. Glad that rifle is a shooter. Franchi designs some very good scatter guns, and this is their first rifle attempt. Looks like a good buy.

OP
John87

John87

Lil-Rokslider
The torque settings have to be exact and should use friction paper in the bottom rings. I have Burris rings for a Tikka T3 base which are basically the same as the Zee rings. The rings came with friction paper. The scope hasn’t moved for years now and I have shot it quite a bit. The rings are on a 30mm tube though, which has more surface area pressure from the rings to hold the scope in place. Glad that rifle is a shooter. Franchi designs some very good scatter guns, and this is their first rifle attempt. Looks like a good buy.
Yeah, it is a a smooth running action, a little loud because of the muzzle brake, but hardly any recoil, the .308 wouldn’t have much anyway.

OP
John87

John87

Lil-Rokslider
I’m extremely satisfied with this rifle, for a hunting rifle. 180 gr Remington tipped core lokt and it’s in the bullseye out to 400. Shot yesterday and shot at 200, 300 and 400 yards, 1/2-3/4 MOA.
Went out right before dark this evening and shot at 500 yards on sandbags off of the 4 wheeler, and was happy with the results.
0A04AA50-F557-4E88-8375-4FC844B0DB51.jpeg
The 2 orange stickers in the bullseye was from 400 yards, the 3 shots showing was at 500. Not the greatest groups in the world, but for me, I’m happy!

funny, I was between the FME and the CVA cascade for a 350L. Luckily I was at a store on vacation that let me handle both. I preferred the action on the FME a lil bit over the CVA, but I could not get over how every Franchi had stock contact somewhere along the barrel. that blew my mind that an OOB rifle would have that much contact. I went with the CVA simply for that reason. I am not sure, or saying one is better than the other, but that was something that bothered me.

OP
John87

John87

Lil-Rokslider
I actually ordered a CVA cascade first, in .308, but changed my mind and returned it and bought the Franchi. It is aggravating that the stock hugs the barrel on one side, but it doesn’t contact on mine.

What rings are you using?

A quick fix for ring slippage, if you don’t want to lap them, is to line the inside with electrical tape. The problem with that, and the rubber cement method is that you now have a flexible layer between the scope and rings, which may affect performance. If you are not concerned with getting the best possible groups, then it won’t matter that much, but if you are, I would look at getting new rings.

Also, are you torquing the ring screws to the recommended torque?
Don't use Electrical Tape.....use Friction Tape.