Frank Church best airstrip

npm352

WKR
This is the problem with the Frank....everyone wants to get away in a "wilderness" hunt and they all either start at the same trailhead or fly into one of the limited airstrips. And then see more sheep than deer or elk.

JohnnyR

FNG
There is a video out about a plane accident that happened at Moose Creek airstrip if I remember right. Two single engine planes coming in one right behind the other, first plane lands and second plane comes in long and lands on top of the first plane. Killed the pilot in the first plane. The video shows the whole thing. There are a lot of warnings about flying the back country, all the airstrips back there can cause you and your plane great amounts of damage if you do not know what you are doing. Plus it is a very long walk out if you do screw up.
Wasn't that Johnson Creek?

JohnnyR

FNG
I think anyone who has spent much time in the Frank would agree that it doesn't feel much like wilderness during the rafting or hunting seasons. There's a lot of air traffic and guide/sport population in there.

Dwight2180

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you, this will be my second time out west myself. We went to the sawtooth zone of idaho last year through a outfitter for a drop camp. Only seen one Bull and a few muledeer does. We did experience two small earthquakes at night. That was pretty interesting camped in the bottom of a caynon.
Earthquakes while hunting, definitely not normal. Good luck with the strip search!

Mtnboy

WKR
This is the problem with the Frank....everyone wants to get away in a "wilderness" hunt and they all either start at the same trailhead or fly into one of the limited airstrips. And then see more sheep than deer or elk.

Yep.

BluMtn

WKR
I ask my BIL who was a commercial pilot how that happens and he response was that probably the second plane lost sight of the first plane when they were on final and instead of going around again they assumed they had landed and proceeded to land themselves. Basically not paying attention got one of them killed.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Can we start a gofundme for a legit wolf trapper to fly into one of these during winter?
There's guys who do it already. One of the episodes of River of No Return tv series showed them delivering supplies to a trapper out there. I'd do it just like him. He had a wall tent set up and was working on the predators.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

in 2007 i flew into a strip. There where 8 camps at the strip. It took 2 hours one way, of hiking to get away from anyone.
They can be busy, that's for sure. I've seen trailheads in much better units with way less pressure. Getting away from a couple of those airstrips can be a challenge in itself.