Frank Church-Sept hunt

cmaidl

FNG
My buddy and I flew into the Frank, departed from Soldier Bar and spent 8 days backpack hunting. Made it to a saddle at 8500 that overlook alpine lakes and meadows and also to creek drainages. we glassed early, late, and during the day. Nothing but rattlesnakes, a herd of big horn sheep, and 2 deer....the smoke was oppressive

Ucsdryder

WKR
The rattle snakes in the frank church are something else. Too bad the wolves don’t eat snakes...

bgbuck153

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve hunted the church a couple times and fortunately haven’t run into any rattlers. What elevation are you guys seeing them at and in September?

G8ters

Lil-Rokslider
What unit were you hunting. Brother and I go next week to unit 28. Is there fire in the region?

Ono

FNG
Smoke was oppressive.....200yrd vis in my location at the worst of it.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

w squared

FNG
Ouch. That visibility would make it tough!

I'm still a bit envious - I'm stuck inside this fall due to some health challenges.

PB123

FNG
My buddy and I flew into the Frank, departed from Soldier Bar and spent 8 days backpack hunting. Made it to a saddle at 8500 that overlook alpine lakes and meadows and also to creek drainages. we glassed early, late, and during the day. Nothing but rattlesnakes, a herd of big horn sheep, and 2 deer....the smoke was oppressive
Had you hunted Frank Church before this trip? I was thinking of going Sept 21 for elk with a backup deer tag since it can be filled by Bear, Wolf, or Cougar. Just curious on your thoughts. We were looking at doing a drop camp.