Frank Church Wilderness Mtn Goat Survey - Aug 2017

Mtnboy

WKR
Rocky Mountain Goat Alliance is teaming up with Idaho Fish and Game to do a Goat survey deep in the Frank. This is some of the wildest country in the lower 48. If spending a weekend counting some goats and wandering through some of the last true wild lands sounds like fun to you...then put this on your calendar.

Last years survey was a success, somewhere in the neighborhood of 40 Goats were found. Another successful year would put us one step closer to getting another Unit in Idaho open for Goat hunting.

Full info is available at the link:

https://goatalliance.org/2017-idaho-frank-church-wilderness-volunteer-project/

I'd love to see a big group of Roksliders out there for this, especially you Idaho folks, we were outnumbered over 2 to 1 by out of state folks last year.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Thanks for posting this. I remember hearing about it on a podcast a while back.... I'll have to see if I can make that weekend and bring a buddy.

• Banned
OP
Mtnboy

Mtnboy

WKR
Gonna bring this back up top.

Who's in?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Ewaragnar

Lil-Rokslider
Sent an email in today... we're up for it if they'll have us. Can't get enough of the Frank.

wowzers

Lil-Rokslider
Me a friend will be there. Coming into Yellow Pine the 17th.

• Banned
OP
Mtnboy

Mtnboy

WKR
If you are planning to be there and didn't receive the "Welcome Email" today, shoot me a PM please.

Also, we are still looking for more volunteers, so if you want to go, shoot me a PM as well.

The plan is still the same, meet in Yellow Pine next Friday, Aug 18 at 8am, at the campground just South of town on Johnson Creek Road, and disperse from there.

Update please. Hope it went well.

Does this assist the F&G survey coming in September?

Crossing my fingers for high counts.

Ewaragnar

Lil-Rokslider
Our group went and surveyed the outer edges of the area and didn't see any goats. Did find a few sheds and walked into a good looking young bear. Sounds like the groups that went last year saw enough goats to justify an aerial survey of the unit and we were making sure other large population centers weren't lurking so they could focus the air time.

Update please. Hope it went well.

Does this assist the F&G survey coming in September?

Crossing my fingers for high counts.

OP
Mtnboy

Mtnboy

WKR
Well, it didn't go as well as we were hoping.

We sent out 4 groups this year, 10 people total, and nobody found any goats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry to hear that. The Frank is amazing, vast country.

I hope the FG surveys go well.

Do you have other areas you plan to explore next year?