Frank Church Wilderness Spring Bear

82ndshawn

FNG
Has anyone had any luck chasing spring bear in the Frank Church? A group of friends and I have decided after looking at this area for several years as a place to possibly return year after year to hunt multiple species that we will try to do a spring bear hunt for 2021. So far what we have come up with is to go in late May-early June and to use McCall Aviation to fly into one of the airstrips and hike from there.

Any info or advice is greatly appreciated.

Spoonbill

WKR
I’ve spent a little bit of time in the Frank and as far as general advice, it is rugged. Lots of steep country that can be pretty inhospitable. Another thing to keep in mind is you have to pack out whatever you shoot back to the airstrip or to a raft (if you choose to raft out). Make sure to have a Spot, or some other way to call for help if you get in a jam.
That being said, a sheep hunter killed a nice bear a few years ago, I linked the article for you.

bwidrick

FNG
Thinking of doing the same in the Spring. Wondering myself when it becomes accessible for drive in access. Spent some time in there in Fall 2019, southern 27. Big, steep country. Be prepared for swelled stream crossings in the Spring.

Flying in is the way to go, as the roads to access by foot are typically impassible through most of the spring bear season. Most are iffy in the best of times. Bears will be following the green up the mountain and it's likely that at that time of year you'll need to climb. Good news is its really steep so you don't have to go "far" to gain a lot of elevation :)

One of the other posts mentioned rafting. You need a permit to raft the Middle Fork, and from May 28 until September 3rd the permits are issued through a highly coveted lottery. Also, the river will be high and very dangerous at that time of year. I'd recommend either finding a pack bridge or not bothering with crossing the main river, depending on which airstrip you fly into.

OP
82ndshawn

82ndshawn

FNG
Flying in is the way to go, as the roads to access by foot are typically impassible through most of the spring bear season. Most are iffy in the best of times. Bears will be following the green up the mountain and it's likely that at that time of year you'll need to climb. Good news is its really steep so you don't have to go "far" to gain a lot of elevation :)

One of the other posts mentioned rafting. You need a permit to raft the Middle Fork, and from May 28 until September 3rd the permits are issued through a highly coveted lottery. Also, the river will be high and very dangerous at that time of year. I'd recommend either finding a pack bridge or not bothering with crossing the main river, depending on which airstrip you fly into.
Thanks for the info. After talking with a few different sources I believe we are looking at flying into either Thomas Creek or Cabin Creek. Also going to push the hunt forward by a few weeks.

OP
82ndshawn

82ndshawn

FNG
I’ve spent a little bit of time in the Frank and as far as general advice, it is rugged. Lots of steep country that can be pretty inhospitable. Another thing to keep in mind is you have to pack out whatever you shoot back to the airstrip or to a raft (if you choose to raft out). Make sure to have a Spot, or some other way to call for help if you get in a jam.
That being said, a sheep hunter killed a nice bear a few years ago, I linked the article for you.

Sounds like all you got to do is pitch a tent and wait for them to come eat you lol

We have the communication basics covered I believe. We all have Inreach plus one of the guys has a sat phone.

jdmaxwell

WKR
Get in best shape you can, then get in even better shape.
Buy couple wolf tags.
I would go earlier than June.
Take an Inreach.

Spoonbill

WKR
Sounds like all you got to do is pitch a tent and wait for them to come eat you lol

We have the communication basics covered I believe. We all have Inreach plus one of the guys has a sat phone.
Yes exactly, or sleep in a bivy sack so you can be a bear burrito.
Sounds like y’all are prepared. Should be a fun time.

Broomd

WKR
I would not go earlier than June unless the area has an early Spring.

Extremely tough hunt, much better options out there, especially having to fly into that place. I get that some guys like spending money and time on a challenging experience.

Get in really great shape, no shortcuts.

Following this thread! We are looking at Unit 17 and dropping into The Frank from the north. We are targeting first week in June. We went earlier last year and got jammed up on the snow...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Big_wals

Lil-Rokslider
Gonna follow this one and see what y'all have to say. Finally moved back to Idaho after 3 years and I'm interested in exploring the Frank for bears

Just got back last week from the Magruder Corridor. We hunted both north and south along the area east of the Selway.

Gorgeous country but bad timing with the weather. It was upper 80’s everyday with midweek hitting 90 .

Lots of deer, elk, and blue sky but no bears unfortunately... hard to compete with the heat is seems...

b243ae918c7d6fd585e0d1288ae0a1ca.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
82ndshawn

82ndshawn

FNG
We had an awesome trip. Seen a ton of elk, plenty of mule deer, a few sheep and even some goats. Seen 0 bear and 0 wolves. Temps ranged from high 80's the first few days all the way down to the 30's the up high the last couple days. Absolutely rugged country but manageable if your willing to put in the work,

We will be going back spring and fall of 2022 for two weeks each time. This time we are driving out and taking our horses and mules so should allow us to get into some different country.

If you fly in I would highly recommend McCall Aviation. They did a great job including flying us out in some sketchy conditions. Sawtooth Transportation also did a great job hauling us from Boise to McCall and then back again.