Free hunting license in Alaska

In terms of hunting licenses that may be unique to Alaska compared to the lower-49 states?

1) Free hunting license for residents age 60 and up.
Alaska has no length of residency requirement...you could move here at age 58
and have free hunting license and most tags at age 60.

2) Proxy hunting. Alaska residents who are 65 years of age or older, are physically disabled, or who are developmentally disabled, or blind may have another Alaska resident hunt or fish for them.

3) Lesser value species. A non-resident can legally take a species of lesser value on your tag.
So for example if your hunting moose with your $800 non-resident tag, you could legally harvest a caribou or goat or black bear since they have less value tags ($600 for caribou or goat, $450 for black bear).

4) Youth sheep hunt. A 5-day youth sheep hunt Aug 1-5, prior to the regular season (Aug10-20).

5) Free tags for residents for sheep, goats, caribou, moose, black bears, grizzly bear in some units.

In your opinion where is the best place to live in Alaska for big game hunting and river fishing?
Family of 5.
Thanks, Chad

In your opinion where is the best place to live in Alaska for big game hunting and river fishing?
Family of 5.
Thanks, Chad
What would you like to hunt? How much trigger time throughout the year are you looking for? Life on the Kenai is pretty good. Mat-Su and interior is good too...all depends what your priorities are.

Moose for the most part to get started. Sheep and goats as well but understand they all dont always live in the same area.
Chad

Wisco2020

FNG
3) Lesser Value Species, I like this idea in case it comes down to coming home with nothing or shooting a different species the last day or two!

Family of 5.
Thanks, Chad
Where you can find the best job to make the most money!

Travel is not cheap in AK and species are spread out over hundreds - thousand of miles. It’s like 3-4 different states. Air taxi rates are going like crazy, and wheelers, boats, etc aren’t cheap!

Last edited:

Glory

Lil-Rokslider
I would look at Sitka, Petersburg, or Ketchikan. Get a job making enough money for about a 70k boat to fully take advantage of things.

5) Free tags for residents for sheep, goats, caribou, moose, black bears, grizzly bear in some units.

You forgot to mention deer.
Also some of the most liberal (I hate using that word), hunting regulations ie., in some areas upwards of five Caribou per day, 365 days a year, two goats allowed on Kodiak with a seven month long hunting season, multiple deer/year allowed with a 4+ month long season, and multiple black bears allowed with the season being almost year round.

And if all that wasn’t enough, don’t even get me started on the fishing!

All that being said, I’m only seven years away from a free hunting/fishing license, and still not looking forward to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Of course you could join the Alaska National Guard and get your hunting and fishing licenses for free every year.