Free Rifle

slvrslngr

WKR
Relax Francis... was just making a joke about the 7mm 08 because that is what most friends of mine get their daughters and wives.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The 7-08’s no joke, even men can successfully shoot game with it. So, what do you suggest for the OP?

tdhanses

WKR
I’d look at a Christensen Mesa in cal of your choice then I’d add a few dollars and get a good scope put on it. If you don’t dial get a swaro z3, if you dial weight might need to not matter as much. If you don’t want it to kick like a mule get something with a brake on it.

300wsm is my suggestion in anything you get.

Remington 700 in your flavor cartridge and somw good vortex glass, gotta love that unconditional lifetime warranty
Decades ago, as a young man I purchased a complete set of Sears Craftsman sockets. I went to work on my truck and striped out the socket, went to Sears for a replacement and continued to do the same thing 3 more times. The salesman told me the same thing about that lifetime warranty. The problem is that the craftsman sockets for the time I purchased them were made in China. In short, they were crap. An unconditional lifetime warranty on crap is just that crap, and Vortex has a very solid reputation for failures of all types. I would much rather purchase a product in which I am not at all likely to need a warranty.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Decades ago, as a young man I purchased a complete set of Sears Craftsman sockets. I went to work on my truck and striped out the socket, went to Sears for a replacement and continued to do the same thing 3 more times. The salesman told me the same thing about that lifetime warranty. The problem is that the craftsman sockets for the time I purchased them were made in China. In short, they were crap. An unconditional lifetime warranty on crap is just that crap, and Vortex has a very solid reputation for failures of all types. I would much rather purchase a product in which I am not at all likely to need a warranty.
Vortex builds a product line that ranges from $100 to $1500 plus not every item will be a gold nugget but thier top end products hold thier own.

Most people that talk down on vortex spent less and expected much much more.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

I'd quit that job. Now you have to live up to their expectations 😂

JK. I would buy $1000 of ammo and spend the rest on shooting lessons. Or I would buy $2000 in ammo and try to make a friend that shoots and reloads better than me!

Oregonboy

WKR
Wow, you've got an awesome place of employment!!

I'm a Tikka fan, so I'd go that route and spend the rest on the scope. The two brands that have caught my eye lately are Meopta and Steiner.

Ding Ding Ding

It is kinda funny to listen to folks praise the LOW built Nightforce/SWFA offerings and then go on to whine about how ALL Vortex offerings are junk. They have no clue that many offerings from Athlon, Vortex, Nightforce, Bushnell, etc., etc., etc. are all built by LOW with same/similar components, LOL.

Of course cheap chinese scopes are just that. Doesn't matter what logo is on cheap stuff.

Fanboys are funny.....and usually the most ignorant consumers in the market.
Exactly, i use a vortex viper pst gen 1 that was a grand or more new on my 300 wimag and have run steel out to 1050 yards all day long dont buy entry level shit and expect high end results......most manufactures make budget lower end optics they have to offer to stay competitive

amassi

WKR
Imma have to do it myself, aren't I?!

Stainless Tikka T3x, .30-06
SWFA 6x42, mountain tech rail & good rings.
& $700 worth of range membership & ammo.
Mountain tech is soooo 2018... all about sportsmatch rings now
plus 30-06 is overkill when tikka offers a fast twist 223 perfect for 77 matchkings.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Bluumoon

WKR
Loving my Barrett Fieldcraft, 6lbs 5 oz with scope and sling. I could use some nicer glass to sit on top. You can find one for ~$1500

robtattoo

WKR
Mountain tech is soooo 2018... all about sportsmatch rings now
plus 30-06 is overkill when tikka offers a fast twist 223 perfect for 77 matchkings.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Joking aside, since I sold off my Swede, it'll be my $300 Axis .223 doing the bulk of my deer hunting this year. It's ridiculous how accurate the thing is with TMKs, it's an utter joy to shoot too.

Tcole75

Lil-Rokslider
I've had nikon, vortex, athlon etc. Ive seen the higher end stuff break just as well. The win for vortex in my book is when I had my razor break I had a new one sitting at my house 3 days later. Compared to nightforce that took over 2 months to get mine refurbished and sent back. Any of them will break its how well the company will take care of you afterwards.