Free Rifle

Joking aside, since I sold off my Swede, it'll be my $300 Axis .223 doing the bulk of my deer hunting this year. It's ridiculous how accurate the thing is with TMKs, it's an utter joy to shoot too.

Have you done anything to your axis?

I got my kids an axis ii 7mm08 and I can't get it to shoot worth a crap. Do you have any pointers for the axis? I've checked all the standard boxes that I can think of...

robtattoo

WKR
Have you done anything to your axis?

I got my kids an axis ii 7mm08 and I can't get it to shoot worth a crap. Do you have any pointers for the axis? I've checked all the standard boxes that I can think of...

Nossir. I pulled it out of the box, threw on a cheap rail & Vortex crossfire scope, hit the range with my generic .223 reloads & put my first 30 rounds into a 1½" group.

I think this one is my 4th(?) & I've yet to shoot one that wouldn't do that.

Are you shooting from a bipod or bags? The stock is stupid flexible & I've found that it shoots best with the rest close in front of the action.

Also, what do you consider "not worth a crap?"

270quest

WKR
Tikka T3x SS lite or Superlite in 270win - $750
Zeiss V4 4-16 or NF 3-10x42 - $800
Solid Rings/Base setup - $120
Put the balance into ammo...

OP
C

CJohnson

WKR
I appreciate the responses so far. Y’all are going to hate me now, but what if you had $5k to spend?

Tcole75

Lil-Rokslider
At 5k id go with a lone peak fusion action, x caliber or proof carbon barrel in 300 prc or 284 win if you reload. Triggertech trigger manners composite stock and a vortex razor amg or whatever brand fits your needs.

Cb750

FNG
I haven't shot them all but my best shooting was with a tricked out T3 CTR. So I want to say that, BUT that thing was not light I wouldn't want it on a backpack hunt. IMHO if I understand the amount you hunt I'd stick with something like a weatherby vanguard type rifle and good glass. Put the rest into gear and tags you wouldn't otherwise get. A sweet high end rifle is awesome but if you aren't hunting and shooting a ton it may not be totally worth it.

In terms of not getting kicked like a mule a.270 is good specially with a muzzle break. But the calibre is going to be influenced by the game you hunt and the ranges your shooting. You'll know better than the rest of us what fits that bill.

ACTUALLY..... on second thought scratch all that nonsense quit your job and let me have it. Yeah that's best option.

OP
C

CJohnson

WKR
I haven't shot them all but my best shooting was with a tricked out T3 CTR. So I want to say that, BUT that thing was not light I wouldn't want it on a backpack hunt. IMHO if I understand the amount you hunt I'd stick with something like a weatherby vanguard type rifle and good glass. Put the rest into gear and tags you wouldn't otherwise get. A sweet high end rifle is awesome but if you aren't hunting and shooting a ton it may not be totally worth it.

In terms of not getting kicked like a mule a.270 is good specially with a muzzle break. But the calibre is going to be influenced by the game you hunt and the ranges your shooting. You'll know better than the rest of us what fits that bill.

ACTUALLY..... on second thought scratch all that nonsense quit your job and let me have it. Yeah that's best option.

haha...a few days ago I would’ve said you could have it.

Nossir. I pulled it out of the box, threw on a cheap rail & Vortex crossfire scope, hit the range with my generic .223 reloads & put my first 30 rounds into a 1½" group.

I think this one is my 4th(?) & I've yet to shoot one that wouldn't do that.

Are you shooting from a bipod or bags? The stock is stupid flexible & I've found that it shoots best with the rest close in front of the action.

Also, what do you consider "not worth a crap?"

I shoot it off of sand bags and put the front bag near even with the front edge of the magazine.

It seemed to shoot around 1-1.5" for the first 50 rounds, and then it seemed to open up to 2-3". It shot hornadys reduced recoil the best and was no better than 2-2.25. American whitetail 149gr was about 5". Best load I could find with 130gr Sierra PHs was around 3". I'm trying to find a load for 145gr Speer hot cors with h4350 and haven't found anything yet.

The lugs definitely don't have even contact, and the crown/muzzle area looks like it's pitted, but I haven't done anything to cause that. Someone said they think it looks like barrel rot (defective steel that has inclusions).

Attachments

• Photo_29.jpg
    Photo_29.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 45

robtattoo

WKR
I shoot it off of sand bags and put the front bag near even with the front edge of the magazine.

It seemed to shoot around 1-1.5" for the first 50 rounds, and then it seemed to open up to 2-3". It shot hornadys reduced recoil the best and was no better than 2-2.25. American whitetail 149gr was about 5". Best load I could find with 130gr Sierra PHs was around 3". I'm trying to find a load for 145gr Speer hot cors with h4350 and haven't found anything yet.

The lugs definitely don't have even contact, and the crown/muzzle area looks like it's pitted, but I haven't done anything to cause that. Someone said they think it looks like barrel rot (defective steel that has inclusions).

Jeez! That barrel looks awful. I'd absolutely ship it back to savage with a copy of that photo.
Jump on to Savage shooters dot com & you can probably pick up a factory take off barrel for $50

tdhanses

WKR
I appreciate the responses so far. Y’all are going to hate me now, but what if you had $5k to spend?

I’d get a 300wsm Christensen Arms Ridgeline and put a Nightforce NX8 2.5-20x50, put the savings into reloading and ammo.

N2TRKYS

WKR
Remington Model Seven SS in the cartridge of your choosing. Top it with a Leupold VX3i 3-10x40 or 4.5-14x40 resting in Talley lightweight rings.