Free Standing vs. Non Free Standing Tent

Thanks for the clarification and input, I knew they made the SG tent but must have switched them up. I will have to compare them all again, my sheep hunt is early season so mostly concerned about wind and not as much with snow load.
I had a foot of snow on August 9th this year, don't discount the potential snow loads even on early season hunts.

carter33

WKR
I had a foot of snow on August 9th this year, don't discount the potential snow loads even on early season hunts.
Were you in the Brooks range? I will be in the Alaskan range, probably still can't discount it completely but I would be more concerned if I were heading north.

JBrown1

Lil-Rokslider
Seems to be a good bit of fanfare around the free standing capability of a tent in sheep country. I get that due to rocky terrain it is one less obstacle that must be overcome, but when I see who is buying and using many non free standing tents, it is often sheep hunters. Sheep outfitters/guides are using them too. Granted, not every hunt is going to be at the same elevation, nor within a hunt are you in the same place every night as you make your way up into, through, and down out of, sheep country. My only sheep hunt I did use a Kuiu Mountain Star which is free standing, and we were in some rocky terrain, but there was enough dirt to get the spikes in.
I always carry tent stakes but I often tie off to vegetation or rocks instead of using stakes. I've never had a problem with these three options at hand when pitching a non freestanding tent.

Fjelljeger

Lil-Rokslider
I have used the HMG Ultimid in some pretty high wind and storm conditions in AK and it has been bomb proof. Lots of space.

I do floorless with a hunting buddy, half nest with the wife and full floor when going for easy trip with wife and the puppy.

Have not been able to get passed the weight penalty for freestanding tents nor their lack of room inside.

I have used the HMG Ultimid in some pretty high wind and storm conditions in AK and it has been bomb proof. Lots of space.

I do floorless with a hunting buddy, half nest with the wife and full floor when going for easy trip with wife and the puppy.

Have not been able to get passed the weight penalty for freestanding tents nor their lack of room inside.
I couldn't agree more. There's a lot to like about being able to just walk out of a storm and into your shelter, zip the door shut and get out of your wet clothes. Also, it sure is nice to be able to stand up and get dressed in the morning.

ColeyG

WKR
Freestanding vs. not doesn't every really make the list of criteria I consider when shopping for a new tent.

After using dozens of different makes and models from backpacking to hunting to mountaineering applications, weight, layout/space, vestibule design and durability are all things I am pretty concerned with. I am pretty particular about how a tent should function and what it should be able to withstand in different environments.

As such, I've settled on the Hilleberg Anjan 2 GT as my 2-person sheep tent of choice. Each year my partner and I sing it's praises and reaffirm that decision. The big vesti is key when the weather sucks, which it almost always does in August in AK. As with all of the Hillberg models I've owned and/or used, you have to be careful with wind direction and proper staking and guy line tension. The Yellow label tents definitely aren't bombproof when it comes to wind, but they don't claim to be. The lighter poles and design that keep the package sub 5 pounds is the tradeoff.

I recently picked up on the Enan as a solo shelter and so far I'm quite happy with it. Just enough room in the vesti for a pack and boots and it held up surpringly well to 45mph gusts and the aforementioned snow for the AK sheep opener last year. Many will complain about condensation in Hillberg tents, and it can be an issue for sure when it is super humid and there is no breeze to move moisture through, which is a pretty rare combination of conditions in my neck of the woods. When it is wet, its usually winds so as long as you do a good job of venting the tent, they do about as well as any other tent would in my experience.

Lvthntitall

Lil-Rokslider
I’m headed to the NWT the end of August. I am planning on taking a tarp tent double rainbow Ll because of the ability to be free standing and with my height I need some extra length in a tent. Wondering if this is enough tent beings it has not been mentione.

JBrown1

Lil-Rokslider
I’m headed to the NWT the end of August. I am planning on taking a tarp tent double rainbow Ll because of the ability to be free standing and with my height I need some extra length in a tent. Wondering if this is enough tent beings it has not been mentione.

I had a Protrail (freestanding TarpTent). Build quality is outstanding, but proved too small when weathered in.

I am leaning heavily towards a Double Rainbow DW(dual wall) as a replacement.

The only thing that I am concerned about it the tents ability to hold up to strong winds with the single arch-pole.

How does your double rainbow LI handle wind?

Lvthntitall

Lil-Rokslider
I haven’t had it out in any significant wind or weather. Hopping someone here has some experience before I head up this fall and have a failure.

OP
Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

WKR
Classified Approved

End of Aug in NWT can bring some massive snowstorms. 2018 was insane

Jimss

WKR
I have used and abused my nallo for years in Alaska, Colorado, Wyo, and Utah. There hasn’t been a time I haven’t been able to stake it down. The Anjan mentioned above is similar but a little thinner material. The anjan would likely be more breathable since the fly doesn’t reach all the way to ground level and I think has vents on each end

Both of these hilleberg models are exceptional. Anjan is lighter and nallo hold up to more snow and cold, providing a little more fly coverage against snow , wind and rain.

One other option I regularly use is using the fly alone for early season scouting and hunting. It only weighs a couple lbs and is also bomberproof. Is great for ultralight trips. One of the best features of both the nallo and Anjan is the monster flourless vestibule. Great for cooking, storing gear and drying clothes. The usable space in these tunnel style tents with verticle walls is also a bonus.

Seems to be a good bit of fanfare around the free standing capability of a tent in sheep country. I get that due to rocky terrain it is one less obstacle that must be overcome, but when I see who is buying and using many non free standing tents, it is often sheep hunters. Sheep outfitters/guides are using them too. Granted, not every hunt is going to be at the same elevation, nor within a hunt are you in the same place every night as you make your way up into, through, and down out of, sheep country. My only sheep hunt I did use a Kuiu Mountain Star which is free standing, and we were in some rocky terrain, but there was enough dirt to get the spikes in.

So for the real sheep hunters on RS, how important is free standing to you?

Since I just sold my Storm Star, I am looking for a tent for sheep hunt next summer, and looking at one of the Hillebergs. They recommended the Rogen or the Niak for me and my wife, but after watching reviews and looking at specs, I don't like either of them. I do like the double vestibule so we can get in and out without crawling over each other, but the vestibules on the Rogen seem small. Right now I am leaning towards the Anjan 3GT

Thanks in advance for any feedback

I cannot speak to sheep country specifically, but I own an Anjan 3 (non GT). I think you could both fit very comfortably in a 3 person non GT model. In fact, if i was going with my wife, I may opt for the anjan 2 with the GT vestibule if the extra vestibule space is important for the conditions. Just thinking of most efficient use of space and weight balance. If you are over 6’2” or so, your toes will hit the end of the inner tent and collect condensation on your bag. Speaking from experience…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk