Freehand or Tripod

wildbill

Lil-Rokslider
How many use the bino’s on a tripod or just freehand while glassing,seems they would be fairly easy to spot .working on my list and questioning every piece. Thank for any input Billy

On backpack hunts in the North above treeline I freehand the 10x42s while sitting with my elbows braced against my knees most of time. I use a low tripod setup with an angled Swaro scope as well and often may rest the binos over the scope, rotating the eyepiece out of the way as necessary.

When glassing near the truck or quad I often use a BIG Bogen tripod with a heavy Manfrotto pistol grip head for my Leica 15x56 binos or the Swaro spotter that I set the 10x42 Swaro binos on top of.

OP
W

wildbill

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks not normally a weight weenie but I will cut every ounce I can for this trip

There’s a time and a place for both but if I can I always set up any glass I have on a tripod if I plan to glass a area for more than just a brief minute. Seems like I only ever free hand if I want to check something real quick. The steadying difference and the amount of critters you can spot is huge, a tripod will always be with me on any trip.

RyanC

WKR
I'm assuming you are referencing dall sheep hunting? Although they are fairly easy to spot if they are in the wide open hillside, I'm with UT_Hunter. If you've never glassed off a tripod, you will be forever changed once you do. It is that much better. I am to the point now that I hate glassing freehand because I notice every little movement. If you get to a spot to look over a lot of country on your hunt......glass off a tripod.

Always have a tripod. Freehand when I'm moving around, tripod if I'm stopped or want a better look at something.

OP
W

wildbill

Lil-Rokslider
Used tripod in idaho no doubt makes a big difference didn’t know if that would be necessary looking for Dalls.

Quick look: free hand.

Glassing: tripod. No sense in hamstringing your best tool (other than a guide) for finding game. For about 3 pounds (tripod/head) you can get a functional setup (minus super high winds) that is also highly packable.

Here is a simple test to see if the weight penalty is worth it. Free hand your binoculars while "glassing" at a location of your choosing. Do this for 50 minutes straight without letting them down and keeping them steady. Repeat this 3+ more times that day. Do this 10 days straight. If you can do this without any issues, then scrap the tripod. If you can't, then go with a tripod.

I always have a tripod every where I go. Makes glassing a lot easier and effective. Also works very well in some shooting scenarios where shooting off a pack(s) does not work.

slvrslngr

WKR
A tripod has its place but for a sheep hunt, I’m assuming that is guided, I’d leave it at home. Your guide will have a spotter to get a closer look at rams.

I do apologize for providing how I feel about my hunts. I should not have projected my beliefs and approaches onto others who feel differently.

Some folks want to be active participants and others chose more of a spectator role. It's all good as there is no "right" approach. Bring what you feel is necessary to have a great hunt and enjoy the experience.

OP
W

wildbill

Lil-Rokslider
It is a guided hunt and to be honest not sure weather I take my spotter or not
(Kowa 553 with KDG tripod) I will take it to camp but may leave it there probably won’t make up my mind until we head up. Was really just asking was there that much of a advantage glassing with bino’s looking for a white sheep. All opinions are helpful. I have been going over every sheep hunt equipment list I can find and questioning every piece,please don’t hesitate to shoot ideas I have down.This is going to be a one and done trip for me I need to make it count in every way possible Thanks Billy

OP
W

wildbill

Lil-Rokslider
Follow up, i do want to participate in every way I can been on couple guided hunts and I try hard to pull my weight it makes for a better experience,hopefully the guides appreciate it. Was on goat hunt with same guide I’m using for my sheep hunt I made sure in camp he never had to get firewood I packed half the goat down the mountain (not my goat) helped in every way I could .

Ben Allen

FNG
How many use the bino’s on a tripod or just freehand while glassing,seems they would be fairly easy to spot .working on my list and questioning every piece. Thank for any input Billy
Always on a tripod if I’m sitting in o e spot. If hiking to a place obviously freehand.

Wapiti1

WKR
Sheep are easy to spot with freehand binocs. Judging with the spotter is where the rubber meets the road. You might spend a couple minutes, or all day looking at one sheep or pack O' rams. I've done and seen it done with a tripod and without. Spotter neslted on a pack works fine too, but isn't as comfy.

Decide if you want to pack the extra 6 lbs for a scope and tripod and go get it done.

Jeremy