Freeze Dried Foods

OP
LightManSA
After going through ALL of the FD meals that “sounded good”, THIS is the stuff that is worth taking. I’ll admit, some of this is surprisingly good. There are a few Mntn House items that I usually like, but these are better.

Your Mileage May Vary…

Attachments

• AFF1F6DE-4ECC-42A4-8ECF-7CA7362CBD82.jpeg
    AFF1F6DE-4ECC-42A4-8ECF-7CA7362CBD82.jpeg
    345 KB · Views: 82

twall13

WKR
I've seen a couple of guys mentioning they don't want to branch out from Mountain House because of the cost. Where are you guys getting your Mountain House meals that it's saving you a significant amount over say Peak Refuel? On Midway USA I have a few meals in my cart and the Peak meals are $9.79 Each while the MH Meals are $9.99 each, so actually more expensive. I know I can get Peak meals at Cal Ranch for a similar price as well, though their stock might be more limited. They may be more at other places but I've always been able to find them for a similar price at Midway or Cal Ranch. Am I missing some cheaper options for MH somewhere else?

Edit: I just saw another thread saying Midway has a free shipping code right now as well- OFFER66666

Last edited:
I've seen a couple of guys mentioning they don't want to branch out from Mountain House because of the cost. Where are you guys getting your Mountain House meals that it's saving you a significant amount over say Peak Refuel? On Midway USA I have a few meals in my cart and the Peak meals are $9.79 Each while the MH Meals are $9.99 each, so actually more expensive. I know I can get Peak meals at Cal Ranch for a similar price as well, though their stock might be more limited. They may be more at other places but I've always been able to find them for a similar price at Midway or Cal Ranch. Am I missing some cheaper options for MH somewhere else?

Edit: I just saw another thread saying Midway has a free shipping code right now as well- OFFER66666
If you watch throughout the year, you can find Mtn House for 5-7$ a meal. Sierra trading post, walmart and a few other places. I eat them all and enjoy different meals from each. If I had to say which ones I like the taste of the best, I would say Mountain House followed closely by Peak. Peak's are nice when water is a concern. They use less on average than Mtn house.

I watch all year for sales and stock up accordingly. I am severely overstocked right now. haha.

*zap*

WKR
I keep MH because of the longer expiration dates...but I am primarily stocking them for when/if things go south...with the good selection I have it is e-z just take what I want for backpack camping....I also have a dehydrator and can most of my venison.

PA Hunter

WKR
I like dehydrating my own meals especially chili & Franks Red Hot chicken. Chicken burritos put a smile on my face in the middle of nowhere and pretty cost effective also.

Peak Chicken Pesto Pasta is the best freeze dried meal in existence!
EEEC375C-89EA-4BC3-8CC7-DDFCF4C7CA6A.gif
1. Backpackers Pantry Chicken Alfredo
2. Peak Chicken Pesto Pasta
3. MH Yellow Curry

Call me crazy, but I have about 4-5 I really like and I’m to the point I just bring those and repeat meals. Eating at home we eat the same leftovers for a week sometimes and I’m fine with that.

Ran into a guy at wal mart Saturday night by the freeze dry. He was just headed out sheep hunting and had 9 meals in his basket - all MH chili Mac (it was all that was left). So thoughts and prayers to that guy……

cgasner1

WKR
View attachment 437336
1. Backpackers Pantry Chicken Alfredo
2. Peak Chicken Pesto Pasta
3. MH Yellow Curry

Call me crazy, but I have about 4-5 I really like and I’m to the point I just bring those and repeat meals. Eating at home we eat the same leftovers for a week sometimes and I’m fine with that.

Ran into a guy at wal mart Saturday night by the freeze dry. He was just headed out sheep hunting and had 9 meals in his basket - all MH chili Mac (it was all that was left). So thoughts and prayers to that guy……

He is going sheep hunting doubt he cares

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

katemarch

FNG
Came across freeze drying and wondering if you would recommend getting a freeze dryer or not... I've seen some complications and wondering how easy or hard it is to use.

Dirtscoots

Lil-Rokslider
Came across freeze drying and wondering if you would recommend getting a freeze dryer or not... I've seen some complications and wondering how easy or hard it is to use.
It’s been a game changer for us. I’ve had ours less then a year and it has more then paid for itself in meals. When I’m cooking dinner I try to double or triple my meals then freeze dry left overs. I just made guacamole probably a gallon of left overs to freeze dry. It’s literally put the trays in press a button and it does all the work. They make a moisture meter I use to check things every now and then you have to put stuff in dry a bit longer. I’ve done everything from clam chowder to biscuits and gravy. All rehydrated well and tasted great.

katemarch

FNG
It’s been a game changer for us. I’ve had ours less then a year and it has more then paid for itself in meals. When I’m cooking dinner I try to double or triple my meals then freeze dry left overs. I just made guacamole probably a gallon of left overs to freeze dry. It’s literally put the trays in press a button and it does all the work. They make a moisture meter I use to check things every now and then you have to put stuff in dry a bit longer. I’ve done everything from clam chowder to biscuits and gravy. All rehydrated well and tasted great.
Ya probably I will. I came across this freeze drying marketplace so it's been very useful with different questions and such - https://freezedried.com/

kbarnes

FNG
I finally got a freeze dryer and it's very easy to make your own meals. If you're not planning on storing them for 20 yrs its even easier. I've done a lot of meals with hamburger or sausage in them and just drain the grease off and freeze dry and it's worked well. Whenever I'm making a meal like chicken and noodles or biscuits and gravy, I just make extra and freeze dry it. For the biscuits and gravy I keep the biscuits separate and add them after I re hydrate the gravy.

wyodog

FNG
Hard to beat MH spaghetti. lol. Freeze dried is great until you realize that you have to descend 1500 feet to get more water.

Dirtscoots

Lil-Rokslider
Which freeze dryer are you guys using? I dehydrate all my meals, which works for some things, but not all.
I chose harvest right they have been around the longest. I can’t complain I’m right about a year and it runs a lot. I dehydrated for a lot of years exactly as you say some things work others don’t. I specialized in chicken rocks that rehydrated as chicken rocks. If my freeze dryer broke down tomorrow I’d buy another right now. I do not regret that money spent at all. I have a buddy that bought one that complains he never uses it. I make extra large meals every meal and run it least once a week. If you don’t want to really go through the effort like my friend not worth it probably. For us it’s been a complete game changer for our meals.

Mountain house is a pretty good bet, for me any warm meal at the end of a day is gonna give me that "X" factor of feeling good inside going to the tent.

For the chili Mac guy at Walmart, I hope it doesn't affect the next morning proceedings right after getting out of the tent like it affects me. L O L.