Freeze dryers

Button

WKR
Looking for input from those that have one.
Model, pros/cons.
I’ve kicked the idea of buying one around for a few years.

mlob1one

WKR
I have a friend and a family member both who own the harvest right freeze dryers. One is a medium, the other a large.

Both of them absolutely love them and use them a ton for food storage, backpacking meal prep, and for treats.

We're planning on getting one later this year.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Sam Colt

Lil-Rokslider
Look at recent reviews.
Our older Harvest Right works great.
Several folks who bought recently based on my recommendation have had issues.
When the units work correctly they produce much healthier freeze dried meal options than commercial offerings.
Maintenance on the older vacuum pumps takes attention, time, and patience.

mlob1one

WKR
Look at recent reviews.
Our older Harvest Right works great.
Several folks who bought recently based on my recommendation have had issues.
When the units work correctly they produce much healthier freeze dried meal options than commercial offerings.
Maintenance on the older vacuum pumps takes attention, time, and patience.
What types of issues?

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Sam Colt

Lil-Rokslider
One friend said his unit completed 3 cycles and then died. Impossible to reach support (no email response, no phone answer, voicemail full,) and then was offered a used unit in exchange. He returned the unit.
Another acquaintance had the vacuum pump fail within a month and was unable to get any support.
To be fair, mine's worked fine for over a year and dozens of cycles. However, recent reviews are telling.
Not sure, but might be related to the hat trick of a rapid rise in customer demand, supply chain problems, and expansion of the channel to include Tractor Supply, Home Depot, and other retailers.

MThuntr

WKR
Impossible to reach support (no email response, no phone answer, voicemail full,) and then was offered a used unit in exchange
This would be a deal breaker right away. I'm willing to bet they over extended their supply for the demand...likely poor timing...and had to use inferior products to keep up.

We went in on the large home model from harvest right with my in laws, been using it a ton since we received it in December and we all are loving it. No issues so far, ny mother in law has been using it for all kinds of stuff, but mostly just single ingredients for storage or to be able to whip up meals quicker, not whole meals yet. Just did our first attempt at a backpacking meal, some really good gluten free chicken pasta i made with vodka sauce and it rehydrated and tasted amazing! My mother in law is all excited to make more meals now, i just sent her home with some canned bear meat to make me some kind of taco/burrito bowl meals with. Gonna do some of our raw dog food soon too cause the freeze dried stuff we've bought for the backcountry with our dog is really expensive. I have a sweet tooth so im gonna do some slices of ben & jerrys or something along with some more meals before i head out for spring bear lol

One friend said his unit completed 3 cycles and then died. Impossible to reach support (no email response, no phone answer, voicemail full,) and then was offered a used unit in exchange. He returned the unit.
Another acquaintance had the vacuum pump fail within a month and was unable to get any support.
To be fair, mine's worked fine for over a year and dozens of cycles. However, recent reviews are telling.
Not sure, but might be related to the hat trick of a rapid rise in customer demand, supply chain problems, and expansion of the channel to include Tractor Supply, Home Depot, and other retailers.
Wow that sucks! My mother in law uses ours like 3-5 times a week and hasnt had an issue yet

Sam Colt

Lil-Rokslider
This would be a deal breaker right away. I'm willing to bet they over extended their supply for the demand...likely poor timing...and had to use inferior products to keep up.
Maybe try calling? Then it's not heresay. :)

Me too! I'm up to my nipples in $1/dz eggs and $.97/lb strawberries, and my venison stew will now outlive me!
Not to derail, but the main reason we got it is cause the in laws have a farm. Got like 55 various established fruit trees and a huge veggie/fruit garden and 50 egg chickens, and they're just getting started haha. We just got tired of having to try to can and freeze everything or find other creative ways to process everything each fall!

Sam Colt

Lil-Rokslider
I have a sweet tooth so im gonna do some slices of ben & jerrys or something along with some more meals before i head out for spring bear lol
Freeze dry a few family size bags of Skittles. Trust me. Epic.
Freeze dried gummy bears are a trip. They puff up and turn to crispy foam with great flavor, but on the 3rd chew they magically become like 2-part epoxy and you have to talk through welded teeth for 10 minutes.

Freeze dry a few family size bags of Skittles. Trust me. Epic.
Freeze dried gummy bears are a trip. They puff up and turn to crispy foam with great flavor, but on the 3rd chew they magically become like 2-part epoxy and you have to talk through welded teeth for 10 minutes.
Yeah ive heard people are making ridiculous money selling all that crap freeze dried haha. Mother in law said its getting hard to find skittles cause of it

lab-roamer

Lil-Rokslider
I looked at them for about 3 years and finally pulled the trigger about 6 months ago. The wife used to think I was nuts, then Covid Happened, now she is constantly using it. No problems so far and the food is way better than the crap you buy from the camping box stores. I would highly recommend one if you think you'll use it.

Sam Colt

Lil-Rokslider
Why would I bother calling? Anyone marketing these machines will deny the issue. I'm actually surprised there isn't a competitor making one for 1/3 less by now
Well, if you call support and can’t reach them, denying would be difficult.