Freezer alarms

Lark Bunting

Lil-Rokslider
I had a good portion of deer meat spoil in my freezer years ago. Didn't know the garage circuit was on master bath GFCI. I immediately bought a freezer alarm. Only complaints, I cant hear it unless I am downstairs. Do you guys have anything that will alert your phone if an issue occurs?

Mutto

FNG
I know and feel your pain. Had a freezer full of stuff thaw about 4 years ago. I have a circuit alarm. VERY loud, but you need to be home to hear it. I do not know of a phone alerting sensor. I also had a remote wireless temp probe which sent temp to a unit which displayed the freezer temp and would alarm at a programmed temp. But it died....
Here are some possible options:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had a good portion of deer meat spoil in my freezer years ago. Didn't know the garage circuit was on master bath GFCI. I immediately bought a freezer alarm. Only complaints, I cant hear it unless I am downstairs. Do you guys have anything that will alert your phone if an issue occurs?

Here is the audible alarm. I have the older version.

hammerguy

FNG
We used the Temp Stick on a built-in aquarium in a previous home, purchased from Amazon. Hooked to wifi with an app for our phones. Temperature gauge pings the app at intervals and goes crazy when your thresholds are exceeded. I remember it having a wide setup range....-50F to 200F or something like that....so I imagine it would work for a freezer. Couple hundred bucks, but way cheaper than saltwater coral....or a freezer full of hard to replace game.

Cockeye

WKR
Do u need the outlet in the down stairs bathroom. If not turn off breaker. Remove gfi. Twist black to black white to white and wire nut them off then buy 39 cents blank cover and your good to go.

OP
L

Lark Bunting

Lil-Rokslider
Awesome, for now I put my second sensor in the new freezer so I could adjust and monitor the temps. Looks like it's working fine but I will be upgrading to something that can send an alert to my phone.

If you want the remote monitoring capability, you could take a look at AcuRite sensors as well.

I lost a freezer full of meat a few years ago due to a tripped breaker that I didn’t catch for a week. For a couple years after that I used a local sensor that would sound an alarm but it basically was only good if you were in the same room as the freezer. I switched to the AcuRite a couple years ago and have been overall happy with them.

I actually started with one of their weather stations. After a friend had a burst pipe on a dishwasher fill his basement with water I started looking at their water sensor options and discovered the temperature sensors as well. Now I have temp sensors in all four of my freezers, as well as water sensors under washing machine, dishwasher, and basement. All of it is connected to my home network. You can customize the alerts to be emails, texts, or phone calls based on the parameters you set. You can also check the sensors anytime you want from computer or phone which is nice when I am traveling.

It was all relatively easy to set up (I am not a tech guy). I think they are a little expensive, but the protection is worth it to me. It has saved me a couple lost freezers due to kids not getting doors closed right so I am happy with them as an option.