Freezer Bag Cooking - Post your recipes here to share!

My best meal of 2020 was dehydrated chili mac.

I made a bunch of venison chili and ate some for dinner. Portioned the rest into large bowls so I would know how much to eat in the woods. Dehydrated my portions.

Cooked up EzMac and dehydrated the unseasoned noodles. Combined chili and mac into freezer bag. Took into the mountains and rehydrated on day 10 of elk hunt. Lightweight, cheap, easy, delicious...

North Woods

FNG
Classified Approved
This is all great stuff. Thanks for the write up. As someone who is new to backpacking (but extremely hooked) this is the kind of thing I need. I really can’t afford to spend big money on the name brand freeze dried stuff, and I enjoy “making my own” anyways. Thanks everyone! I’ll be trying some of this in May on a bear hunt, I hope!!!

mikey

FNG
yep, great thread. inspired me to get a dehydrator, hopefully post some of my own recipes here someday

Whether it is freezer bag cooking or bivouacking or using a new mix of wet weather clothing, one thing to remember about anything you try for the first time when "roksliding" is to try it at home first. Definitely get into FDC, it is fun, saves money, and lightens your load.

Pick the recipe you want to make, and dehydrate it, then try rehydrating it the following week. Just do it like you would in the field, with your handy dandy Jetboil or whatever stove you use. That way you will see if it works and if it tastes as good at you want it to. You will also learn how much water and time you need to do the job right.

Also, there are a lot of meals you can make from packaged dry meals from the store. Get a box of Noor soup or whatever, or hamburger helper type boxed meals, toss in a can or retort package of tuna or chicken or ham or whatever protein you want, and heat it up for an inexpensive and very filling meal. And, of course, do it at home first. You will work out the wrinkles in your home kitchen before you find out you hate the taste or that it takes more water than you thought it would be be palatable.

Larry

Fireman5569

Lil-Rokslider
I also started making ghee/clarified butter to take on back country trips to ad the missing fat back into my meals since dehydrated or freeze dried meals lack fat. also found coconut milk powder at sprouts markets.

Elk365

FNG
Amazon has Mylar heat-sealable bags very similar to what mountain house uses. Load ‘em up, seal with one of the girls hair straighteners, label them, and hit the trail! Dump some boiling water right in the bag, reseal and a meat after a few min. Makes almost any home-cooked meal a possibility in the back country.

bsnedeker

WKR
Amazon has Mylar heat-sealable bags very similar to what mountain house uses. Load ‘em up, seal with one of the girls hair straighteners, label them, and hit the trail! Dump some boiling water right in the bag, reseal and a meat after a few min. Makes almost any home-cooked meal a possibility in the back country.
Do you have a link you could share by chance? I've looked at a bunch but not sure which would work well for boiling in. The only ones I found that had a temperature rating said max was 80 C. That would probably work since you're adding boiling water to your food, which will instantly knock the temp down, but it would be borderline I think.

Maybe I'm over thinking it!

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

Some of my favorites...

Coconut Sticky Rice w/Dried Mango
1 cup Minute Rice
1 Tbsp of sugar (I usually use much less)
1/4 cup coconut flakes/chips
2 Tbsp coconut milk powder (Or milk powder)
1 Tbsp Toasted Sesame Seeds
5 strips Dried Mango Slices
2 cups water

Peanut Butter Noodles
1 pack Ramen
1/4 cup chopped peanuts
1/4 dried vegetables (I usually use peas and carrots)
2 Tbsp powdered peanut butter (OR a packet of Justin's)
1 1/2 Tsp powdered chicken bouillon
1 1/2 Tsp dried cilantro
1 Tsp chia seeds
1/4 Tsp salt
1/4 Tsp ground ginger
1/4 Tsp garlic powder
1/8 Tsp ground black pepper
1 cup water

I sometimes add chicken to this as well!

Japanese Curry (The most complicated one)
Ingredients
3 carrots finely diced
1 lb ground meat of your choice very lean
1/2 onion
8 oz mushrooms
1 tablespoon curry powder
1/4 cup coconut aminos or soy sauce
1 tablespoon gelatin (Optional)
10 oz butternut squash frozen
Salt to taste
Dehydrated cauliflower rice or instant rice
Butter or butter powder optional

Instructions
Mix gelatin with coconut aminos and set aside
In a large skillet over medium-high heat brown meat, onions, and mushrooms together. Take extra care to break the meat up into small pieces.
Meanwhile in a pan slowly warm up frozen butternut squash, until it is defrosted. Then puree with a stick blender or in a traditional blender.
Once the meat is browned add squash puree, carrots, curry powder, and coconut aminos mixture.
Simmer until the carrots are soft.
Line a dehydrator tray with parchment paper or a silicone mat and evenly spread curry out, no more than a ¼ inch thick.
Dehydrate at 165 °F or the highest setting on your dehydrator, for 12-16 hours, until the food is completely dehydrated.
Once all the food is completely dried, let cool to room temperature.
In 3 bags, equally, divide all the ingredients. A kitchen scale can make this easier.
Add dehydrated cauliflower rice or instant rice to each bag.

When you are ready to eat, add 1 ½ -2 cups of boiling water and let rehydrate for 20 minutes.
Stir in butter if you have not already added butter powder and enjoy!

This recipe was found here: https://wildandwellfed.com/low-carb-dehydrated-japanese-curry/
She has more as well!

Last edited: