Freezer Paper vs Vacuum Seal - What's Better?

I just wrap in plastic wrap and then put similar pieces of meat inside large Ziplocs. In my experience, plastic wrap keeps things absolutely fresh and is very fast and easy to do. The Ziplocs are just to protect and organize the cuts. I have a vacuum sealer, but I only use it for fish.

Last edited:
Cool article.

I have experimented a bit. The butcher I used years ago was a leg steak guy that did those styrofoam packs and used a lot of terrible spices in sausage, which led me to want to try my own. Started vac sealing but some of the bags got holes and lost vacuum leading to some freezer burn. Used plastic wrap inside of butcher paper for a while, which worked well. I currently mixed and match. I use plastic or vac seal some stuff. If it is going to get moved around a lot I will wrap in butcher paper.

For meat that I give to non hunters, I had a few freak out about the liquid in the pack or ask how it was butchered. Now I will add some of those blood absorbing packs (Amazon) and vac seal and then wrap in butcher paper.

zach12321

FNG
I've used both, but prefer cling wrap and butcher paper over vac sealing. The vac bags can get damaged easier especially if you dig around in the freezer to get certain packages very often. Never had any issues with butcher paper.

DavePwns

WKR
I currently use plastic wrap and freezer paper and have had great results, but I could see the appeal of a vacuum sealer, seems like you would be able to throw it in cold water to thaw quickly when in a pinch for an impromptu BBQ. Also I have to put the freezer paper meat in the fridge inside a glass container or gallon zip lock to prevent the fridge from getting bloodied up.

Wetwork

Lil-Rokslider
Chamber sealer with 4mil or 5mil bags and you won't have as much problem with holes if any. The bags for a chamber sealer are way cheaper also. I use my sealer almost every week on something. Chicken on sale, pig on sale, sous vide....jerky preps. Soups, stews, chili's, broths (gf swears by wild turkey broth) On and on. Should have gotten one years and years ago. -WW

Last edited:

Grit2

Lil-Rokslider

Methos65

FNG
Agree with the others on cling wrap and freezer paper. Used to butcher our own cattle as well as deer. Never had a problem with air in part because we ate our meat within 4-6 months of butchering. Once in rhythm on wrapping, I find plastic and paper quicker than vac sealing. Slap it, wrap it, tape it and mark it!!

BadDogPSD

WKR
I use cheap gallon sized (non ziplock) and freezer paper. Put the meat in the baggie, roll tightly to remove any air, wrap in paper.

I love vacuum sealing. So much easier for meat that I do on my own me and my wife butcher our own dirt raised Hogs, game animals, and will buy different things from the store and break down to vacuum seal for easier storage. Love it. Cost me about $80 to get it all setup and going.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TX_Diver

WKR
I process a lot of sheep and use butcher paper. Vacuum sealing is nice in that the process is a bit cleaner (especially when you go to defrost stuff) but the setup, and time takes longer.

For ground meat these bags are the best of both worlds IMO.

WCB

WKR
Vaccum seal. Not worried about damaging the seal on it. 5 deer in the freezer this year between August and November and all 5 will be finished off in the next month or two. Longevity is of no concern for this guy.

Also, my wife and her mom do the vac sealing while my FIL and myself do the cutting so time is also of no concern as they are sealing while we are cutting.

I just like the cleanness and easy thawing with no chance for a leak. Nothing against paper though.

OP
B

BaseMap

I've used both, but prefer cling wrap and butcher paper over vac sealing. The vac bags can get damaged easier especially if you dig around in the freezer to get certain packages very often. Never had any issues with butcher paper.
If you don't get a quality vac bag you can definitely damage it - but, they do make great bags now that are almost impossible to break.

OP
B

BaseMap

Chamber sealer with 4mil or 5mil bags and you won't have as much problem with holes if any. The bags for a chamber sealer are way cheaper also. I use my sealer almost every week on something. Chicken on sale, pig on sale, sous vide....jerky preps. Soups, stews, chili's, broths (gf swears by wild turkey broth) On and on. Should have gotten one years and years ago. -WW
Great insight. They make some fantastic bags now that don't damage.

OP
B

BaseMap

Agree with the others on cling wrap and freezer paper. Used to butcher our own cattle as well as deer. Never had a problem with air in part because we ate our meat within 4-6 months of butchering. Once in rhythm on wrapping, I find plastic and paper quicker than vac sealing. Slap it, wrap it, tape it and mark it!!
If you eat your meat fast we totally agree with you - however, if you want me to last longer we believe vacuum sealing is the way to go.

OP
B

BaseMap

Vacuum hands down.
I found a vac package of elk i shot in 2017 in the bottom of my freezer…. And….it has gone through a few brownouts and power outages here in Ca.

Cooked it up last week….It was still perfect.

-
Vacuum definitely lasts longer than freezer paper!

OP
B

BaseMap

I process a lot of sheep and use butcher paper. Vacuum sealing is nice in that the process is a bit cleaner (especially when you go to defrost stuff) but the setup, and time takes longer.

For ground meat these bags are the best of both worlds IMO.
Thanks for sharing!