Freezer size for big game?

Next time i am in the market for a new freezer probably will buy an upright also. I get tired of digging through the freezer and it doesn’t stay organized for very long

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ThrottleJ

FNG
I found a cheapy 7cf chest freezer was the perfect size for one spike bull fully processed. A larger animal would not have fit.

fmyth

WKR
I have a 7cf that stays at home and one that goes w me to elk camp. I chose the 7cf because i can lift it (empty) into my 4x4 Ram without much trouble and it fits under my camper shell. Before my elk hunt I fill one with water bottles (gallons and singles) and let them freeze until I am ready to leave. I empty the freezer, load it into the bed of my truck and then fill it with my frozen water and all of the food for my hunt. Then I put my cooler in the truck and fill it with frozen water bottles. If I tag out on day 1 I quarter my elk and put it in the freezer and run it with my little Honda eu2000 til its frozen. When the next guy in my group tags out I move my frozen elk meat into coolers w frozen water bottles and put the fresh elk in the freezer. We repeat this til we run out of time or tags. I can fit all 4 cow quarters in my 7cf but have to cut the bull quarters at the "knee" to get all 4 to fit. Last year I brought home a cow elk and a bull in a 7cf freezer and 2 coolers. Coolers are a Coleman Extreme 110? and a Lifetime 55q.

jblam

Lil-Rokslider
Slight hijack here, but anyone have a strong opinion on chest vs upright freezer? I’ve got about half an elk in my chest freezer right now and it’s making the sounds I fear most so I’m going to replace it before it breaks and the meat goes bad.

This was my first freezer that I got second hand from a family member so I didn’t research at all, but now that I have to pay for it, I’d like to get “the one”. So far I know bigger is better and uprights don’t store as much but are easier to find stuff in. Is that about it, or are there other differences that are important to consider?

GSPHUNTER

WKR
Each to his own but IMO upright is the way to go. Easy access, easy loading and everything in play sight. If properly organized, no digging for your diner choice.

FatCampzWife

Lil-Rokslider
For organization, uprights are the bomb.
But I really hate throwing away rotten meat, so I will NEVER buy an upright for meat storage. We've lost, literally, thousands of dollars worth of product when an upright door wasn't sealed peoperly. That said, I will never own a freezer without a temperature alarm, either...