Freezer size for big game?

Hello,
I’ve never taken a big game so I don’t have a large freezer yet. I finally got drawn for elk and deer this fall, but am not sure how much space each animal takes. Yes I do feel confident in being successful and plan to store all the meat. What are your thoughts? Thanks

A 5 cu ft freezer will work but I would get a 7 cu ft for some extra space. That said, I would get an upright freezer before I bought a chest freezer.

After reading the posts below I now remember that I got the 7 cu ft because the 5 was not big enough. I have not had any issue with elk and deer in the 7 though and my wife usually has some other things in there as well. If you have the money though just get an upright.

Last edited:
A bull elk with some sausage products made, will take up a 7cf freezer.
Agreed, if it's only for 1 elk that's one thing. I would go to like a 10-12 cf chest or even a 14 cf upright. Upright is easier to find stuff. The chest will have less waisted space, but more difficult to keep things organized

I’ve got a 17cf chest freezer. My second one in 27 years. IMHO I’ve always liked a chest vs upright and I’ve had both. It’ll hold multiple deer and elk. Mine is loaded with plenty of meat and other game.

Consider what else you'll need to store as well. I have two 25 cf freezers in which I store an elk or moose, as well as half a hog or quarter a cow, 50 lbs of salmon that I buy each year as well as a dozen whole hens and various frozen pizzas, etc.

Chest freezers are cheaper and more efficient. Uprights are easier to access, more expensive and also easier to fail to close.

Something someone else on here mentioned in another freezer thread was the idea of buying two smaller units rather than a single big one. It's a little more expensive but you get some redundancy if one of them dies.

We're buying a new house and the plan is a chest freezer for long term storage and an upright for frequently accessed stuff (frozen veggies, etc). You can just reload the upright from the chest freezer once a month with the frozen game.

Something someone else on here mentioned in another freezer thread was the idea of buying two smaller units rather than a single big one.
This is what we have. The chest is great for stacking meat. The upright for the pizza, veggies and other small/different packages that get lost in the bottom of a chest freezer

specneeds

Lil-Rokslider
We have 2 large uprights in the garage one will hold a bull, cow and a deer. The plan was to leave one unplugged as we could but we put 3/4 beef in with various other stuff & added a 3rd in the house to hold fruit picked for canning. No more freezers wanted but it’s nice when they are full.

Freezers are like gun safes...get the biggest size you can fit cuz you'll fill it somehow. I have 3 chest freezers in my garage now. One holds elk & hog meat, one holds bison, and one holds moose.

I have always had good luck with my midsized chest freezers but next time around I am buying an upright. Im getting to old and grouchy to be digging around in them chests. I did buy some wire baskets to organize and that helps but still I see an upright in my future when this ten year old chest gives out.