Freezer size for moose

warhawk07

FNG
Have a northern BC moose/caribou hunt planned for Sept 2022 and plan in driving up there with a chest freezer to haul meat back home. wondering if anyone has a rough formula for how big a freezer i need? thinking in terms of lb of deboned frozen meat per cu ft of freezer space??

i have a short bed f150 that should hold a 65" long 15 cu ft freezer.

oh, im a rookie on the board here and to moose hunting...this is my first trip like this so will probably have lots of questions in the coming months. thanks in advance

IH8Cali

Lil-Rokslider
Are you talking cut and wrapped or just quartered/broken down meat?

OP
W

warhawk07

FNG
Are you talking cut and wrapped or just quartered/broken down meat?
good question. its going to be flown out of the field on a plane so it won't be cut and wrapped...will have to do that once at home.

IH8Cali

Lil-Rokslider
In that case, get the biggest one you can reasonably transport. You can always sell it when you get home for a smaller one.

ND2506AI

FNG
I’d say get the biggest one u can fit in the box of pickup. You must have the same box as me that little 5.5 box. Handy for something, worthless for others

OP
W

warhawk07

FNG
Thanks for the replies. ok so assume im going with a 65" long 15 cu ft freezer. thats the biggest unit i can get into the pickup. will a unit that size hold a whole moose?? a moose and a whole caribou (i dont see that one btw, but gotta ask) ?? also assume ive got boned out, not fully "cut", unwrapped meat stored in game bags

thanks again

cnelk

WKR
Ive been to Alaska twice moose hunting. Both times successful.
Each time I bought enough coolers AFTER I was successful, and brought the meat home that way.
You can always sell the coolers - or keep them

You'll probably need 5-6 big coolers - plenty of room for them in the back of a truck [if successful]

GSPHUNTER

WKR
Get as big a one as you want. Put it upright in the bed of your truck and use an appliance dolly and a few friends to help unload it. If you lay any refrigerator or freezer down, let it stand upright for several hours to insure any oil which drained out of compressor drains back in.

PA Hunter

WKR
Think I averaged about 13 bags #50 lbs each per moose of deboned meat from Alaska this year. This is before trimmed. I brought 9 moose back from Newfoundland few years ago in two big chest freezers and a Cabelas 400 qt cooler and a 200 qt cooler but the Eastern Canadian moose are a little smaller than the Alaskan.
Get a decent chest freezer and one or two big coolers to be safe.