Freezer size, Generator kWs, & CoolBot

cravingame

Lil-Rokslider
Looking at going this route for a solo early season Elk Hunt this Sept, and next year's 5 man Pronghorn hunt! How many Cubic Foot freezer with a Coolbot do I need to properly cool one elk, or 5 antelope? How many kW Gen will I need to run the unit? Has any one had issues with the generator cycling up and down with the temp controller on the Coolbot? Dragging from NC to WY, so maintaining minimum weight is important. Thanks in advance!

UtahJimmy

WKR
Coolbot is used for a window mounted A/C unit to get it to run well below the manufactures intended temps. This allows you to make a cooler that can hold temps below 40, but it's not meant (and it won't) to freeze things. Main use is too age meat. I built one many years ago at 4'x6'x6' and have had 6 antelope and an elk all hanging at the same time. Absolutely love it!

Sounds like you just want a freezer and a generator?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I'd never heard of a CoolBot before just now, but after skimming their website, it looks like the device is intended to jury rig a walk-in refrigerator out of an insulated room and a wall-mount air conditioner by overriding the controls on the A/C unit so the unit will run more frequently (neat idea...I may have to give it a try someday). But it sounds like you're trying to achieve the opposite by "tricking" a freezer into operating like a refrigerator? Why not just let the freezer run as intended and freeze your meat?

Assuming a CoolBot is capable of your desired mode of operation, I assume it would achieve the desired (>32°F) temperature by cycling the freezer on/off, which would require the same size generator as if the freezer were running non-stop. The generator's running/continuous output rating needs to meet or exceed the freezer's running current draw (around 5A) and the generator's peak output needs to be able to handle the freezer's starting current draw (around 10A). Assuming the freezer voltage is 120V, those approximate current values would require a generator capable of 600W continuous/1200W peak power output.

The only way a CoolBot would allow you to get away with a smaller generator is if the device includes a variable frequency drive to slow down the freezer's compressor (or some other method of reducing current draw). Otherwise you're going to need the same generator with or without a CoolBot.

OP
cravingame

cravingame

Lil-Rokslider
Coolbot is used for a window mounted A/C unit to get it to run well below the manufactures intended temps. This allows you to make a cooler that can hold temps below 40, but it's not meant (and it won't) to freeze things. Main use is too age meat. I built one many years ago at 4'x6'x6' and have had 6 antelope and an elk all hanging at the same time. Absolutely love it!

Sounds like you just want a freezer and a generator?

I definatly don't want to freeze fresh meat! So I guess CoolBot is not what I need. What are guys using to turn their freezers into refrigerators?

UtahJimmy

WKR
I definatly don't want to freeze fresh meat! So I guess CoolBot is not what I need. What are guys using to turn their freezers into refrigerators?
If I'm following what your original post says, you don't have a freezer yet. So just buy a refrigerator unit with your generator and your done!?

Or just get yourself some coolers. 2 - 150qt Coleman extremes can be had for $150. They'll fit a bull and you'll be able to put 5 antelope in them next year easily. Fill em with ice (frozen bottles, block, crushed, dry, etc.) So they are chilled down when the game goes in.

johson control has a little refrigerator sensor that does the trick. They charge way too much for it. I've got my solar panels charge controller running a pair of deep cycles and 1kW inverter. Basically put a small battery fan in the freezer to keep the air circulating while I chill stuff if I am hunting in hot areas. Then freeze it solid for the flight / drive home.

Look in to the home brewing world for a temp controller to do what you are thinking of, I know they ferment at like 72 degrees and can keep it there kind of like dry aging. I would think on the warmest setting a freezer should maybe make 40 but never thought of that. May be easier to just grab a used fridge and gut it so you can hang the meat. I like where you are going on this

I definatly don't want to freeze fresh meat!
It's your prerogative to handle the meat as you see fit...but I've put fresh deer and elk quarters (still in game bags) in a freezer and waited weeks-to-months before thawing the quarters out and processsing them. I haven't noticed any degradation in meat quality or reduction in yield using this method compared to keeping the meat unfrozen prior to processing.

The biggest problem with tossing a bunch of fresh meat that has not chilled in the freezer is it can go bad if there is not enough air flow and the thing cannot pull enough heat off you've basically stuck it in an insulated box. Get it as cool as you can before putting it in.

I'm with Mighty Mouse on freezing stuff...I freeze it solid, load it into my carry on or checked bag and fly home...defrost it cut it w/o any issues to date.

When running w/o freezer usually use two 150 qt igloos for elk...but I have a bunch of frozen milk jugs filled with water in there to help chill stuff and some racks built in so it does not get wet.

muddydogs

WKR
I just run my freezer off the generator for a few hours at a time to keep the meat cold while in the field. Once the meat has cooled I find that all I have to run the generator for is 2 hours a day to keep the meat below 40 degrees. Once home I plug the freezer into this to keep the meat just above freezing until I process it.

cgasner1

WKR
Inkbird it’s on amazon 35 dollars has WiFi and syncs to your phone so you can watch the temp while driving down the road

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Look in to the home brewing world for a temp controller to do what you are thinking of, I know they ferment at like 72 degrees and can keep it there kind of like dry aging. I would think on the warmest setting a freezer should maybe make 40 but never thought of that.

I have built a fermenter locker out of an old freezer. Your basically running a thermometer to a switch that cycles power to one of two outlets you wire up. On outlet has the freezer plugged in and another has a heater, we could keep the temp within 4 degrees F. Kind of a fun project but probably overkill for what the OP is wanting.

gelton

WKR
I have a small farm operation with a 7x7x7 walk in cooler and when the compressor failed I rigged it up with a coolbot, works as advertised...FYI I went with a 15,000 BTU based on that space.

The difference between an inkbird (which I also use for a germination chamber to start transplants) and a coolbot is that the coolbot keeps the fins from freezing up while an inkbird just turns the unit on and off based on temp.

Edit - those above are correct, you dont need a coolbot, an inkbird will do the trick.

Last edited: