Fresh Tracks S8E17: Paddlefish

This rarely happens with anything on TV these days, but I had an ear-to-ear smile watching this entire episode. I’ve never heard of a paddlefish before, and I was exhausted just watching them try and snag one. It looked like everyone was having a genuinely good time and really getting after it, which made for a very enjoyable watch.

Highly recommended.

I found it on Amazon Prime, Fresh Tracks Season 8 Episode 17

Wapiti1

WKR
Paddlefishing is a lot of fun. Tiring, yes, but fun. I used to hit both the Missouri and Yellowstone every spring for them. Biggest was 96lbs, but most were in the 40-60 range. Great eating fish.

It's a really fun trip since you can snag, or just park your ass in a lawn chair next to a couple of fishing rods and soak some bait. In those lower river sections, you could catch walleye, sauger, pike, catfish, sturgeon, drum, and lots of goldeye.

I'm heading over to Lake of the Ozarks in a couple of weeks to fish for paddlefish there. There are good populations in Missouri, and Oklahoma as well as South Dakota and Montana. There is also some snagging opportunity in Kentucky.

Jeremy

bsnedeker

WKR
I really want a paddlefish skull in my house, it's one of the coolest looking things ever!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

bsnedeker

WKR
One of those would make a great addition to any man cave.

lol...it's funny, I showed a pic of a paddlefish skull in a shadow box to my wife thinking she would think "Oh, that would be so cool to put in our house!" Yeah....not so much! When I get one it will be going in my office. Beauty truly is in the eyes of the beholder!

FLAK

WKR
lol...it's funny, I showed a pic of a paddlefish skull in a shadow box to my wife thinking she would think "Oh, that would be so cool to put in our house!" Yeah....not so much! When I get one it will be going in my office. Beauty truly is in the eyes of the beholder!
You're so right. My wife likes Euro Mounts, but no shoulder mounts. Yet there is a tanned deer hide across a chair in the living room. Thinks sheds are good deco. Go figure.
Thankful for my man cave.
Got a Life size Javelina coming,,,gonna hit her up to put it in the living room!!!:D

OP
H
I really want a paddlefish skull in my house, it's one of the coolest looking things ever!

Whoa, you aren't kidding! Now I've been looking up paddlefish trips for the past hour :LOL:

1616775719670.png

Sturgies

FNG
I've been lucky enough to do some work with paddlefish and sturgeon with state, federal and commercial fisherman. Paddlefish are amazing fish. They can't travel 1000s of miles over a lifetime to reach spawning grounds.

One in particular sticks out...we tagged this fish near St Louis, Missouri and it decided to hang out in near New Orleans at river mile 2...that's 2 miles upstream from the designated mouth of the Mississippi.
Picture is of a week-ish old paddlefish and strugeon

Attachments

• 20180531_150325_HDR~2.jpg
    20180531_150325_HDR~2.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 129

Sturgies

FNG
Paddlefishing is a lot of fun. Tiring, yes, but fun. I used to hit both the Missouri and Yellowstone every spring for them. Biggest was 96lbs, but most were in the 40-60 range. Great eating fish.

It's a really fun trip since you can snag, or just park your ass in a lawn chair next to a couple of fishing rods and soak some bait. In those lower river sections, you could catch walleye, sauger, pike, catfish, sturgeon, drum, and lots of goldeye.

I'm heading over to Lake of the Ozarks in a couple of weeks to fish for paddlefish there. There are good populations in Missouri, and Oklahoma as well as South Dakota and Montana. There is also some snagging opportunity in Kentucky.

Jeremy
Good luck on the Ozarks! some monster fish swim Truman, Table Rock and Lake of the Ozarks.

This one tipped the scales at over 100lbs!1617418790318.png

Kshusker

FNG
Drew my first snagging tag in nebraska last year. Snagged 22 fish before I had a legal keeper. I was sore as hell but had a great time. Highly recommend for anyone that can get out and try it.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"

Somebody told me the nose just rots away, it’s not really part of the skull. I have a buddy who is a teacher and he wanted one for his classroom but apparently it just dosent work well.

Kshusker

FNG
My skull is at the taxidermist, he uses beetles to clean it then it should be good to go.

Wapiti1

WKR
Got back yesterday from Lake of the Ozarks. Truman was really high, so we opted to fish the stretch below the 65 bridge. Fun trip. 2 went about 45-50, one I figured closer to 60 and one pushing or at 70. All fat females packed with eggs.

We hit them pretty fast and were only on the water for 2 hours.

This is the first time my wife has gone for them and will be the first time for her to eat paddlefish. Going on the grill this evening.

Jeremy

DSC00753 (Custom).JPGDSC00771 crop (Custom).jpg

adamm88

WKR
Quick question for those that have tried to snag them

Do you get by catch when snagging? I would think youd hook bass, catfish ect when trying to snag them, just curious thats all, looks like a good time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MT257

WKR

Do you get by catch when snagging? I would think youd hook bass, catfish ect when trying to snag them, just curious thats all, looks like a good time

You have to snag them as they are filter feeders and use their gills to filter zooplankton from the water. This prevents them from being caught my traditional methods like a bass,pike or walleye. The 8/0 treble hook and 4-5 ounce weight is to get it to the bottom of the river where they are likely at. The fish like to “run” up river on the Missouri or Yellowstone when flows are high and water is very turbid.

MT257

WKR
Got back yesterday from Lake of the Ozarks. Truman was really high, so we opted to fish the stretch below the 65 bridge. Fun trip. 2 went about 45-50, one I figured closer to 60 and one pushing or at 70. All fat females packed with eggs.

We hit them pretty fast and were only on the water for 2 hours.

This is the first time my wife has gone for them and will be the first time for her to eat paddlefish. Going on the grill this evening.

Jeremy

View attachment 281532View attachment 281533
Do they have a roe processing set up down there for the eggs from the females? I know they do for the North Dakota and Montana season at Intake.

Wapiti1

WKR

Yes, you do, but not that many really. Mostly carp and gar, but the occasional catfish. In Montana you'd hook a sturgeon occasionally too. Depends on where you are if you can keep the by catch, or have to release immediately.

Jeremy