Friendly (Insane) challenge

Virginian

Lil-Rokslider
So I've been procrastinating about getting back into shape for the past few months, using the excuse of a broken ankle, but it's healed now and the excuses have run out. Like most every other man in the free world, I want to reach the elusive 180Lb. I'm currently at 245Lb. I figure it'll be easier if I have something to work toward. So after a bet from a friend I have agreed to do a 4-4-48. So we'll run 4 miles every 4 hours for 48 hours and this all happens on June 8-9. I'd like to be 200Lb by the time I do this but that's a lofty goal, 45 Lb in 53 days. Progress to follow...

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
hmmm- so you're running now? I don't think I'd recommend to anyone to run 48 miles in two days w/o a high volume of running before going into it

fitness isn't gained in two days, but I've seen a lot of injuries/soreness gained in two days

I commend you on wanting to get into shape and losing some weight, but hopefully there is a lot more to the plan you haven't posted yet

every running model I've seen shows a modest start, with a modest increase in pace/distance incrementally over a reasonable time frame

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I'd like to be 200Lb by the time I do this but that's a lofty goal, 45 Lb in 53 days.

I'll lose 15-20lbs over the course of an elk season normally hunting 20-22 days, but I'm not sure how long that would keep going at that rate. Part of the reason I lose it, is my appetite disappears at 11k feet. So in addition to the burn, I'm also not replenishing.

45lbs in 53 days sounds extreme. Even Joe Thomas, the Cleveland Browns retired offensive lineman said he dropped 25lbs in the first month down from 300, but the next 25 took another 11 months. He's settled on 1500-2000 calories a day......at 250lbs.

If you want to do incredible things, the good news is that you can. The bad news is that you have to do incredible things. That usually translates into pain and suffering. I love it. I'm going to check my schedule and see if I can join you in the challenge.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Fatcamp

WKR
How many miles a day are you running now? What program are you gonna use?

Dexter has a point, but if you can already run a bit without pain you probably stand a chance.

OP
Virginian

Virginian

Lil-Rokslider
How many miles a day are you running now? What program are you gonna use?

Dexter has a point, but if you can already run a bit without pain you probably stand a chance.

My program is to just not be a wussy with p. All jokes aside I've been swimming increasing distances and hitting the bike. While I think my ankle is healed I'm not going to subject it to high impact such as running just yet. I'll get their. I can only imagine there will be a lot of walking to hit my mile goals. Before the ankle injury I had planned doing a 100 miler ultra in September but I postponed it until next year

OXN939

WKR
My program is to just not be a wussy with p. All jokes aside I've been swimming increasing distances and hitting the bike. While I think my ankle is healed I'm not going to subject it to high impact such as running just yet. I'll get their. I can only imagine there will be a lot of walking to hit my mile goals. Before the ankle injury I had planned doing a 100 miler ultra in September but I postponed it until next year

I agree that the mileage you mentioned seems like a lot. I recommend most people getting into endurance athletic "events" start out with a half marathon. If your physiology or technique isn't perfectly refined for ultras, you can still complete that distance without instigating a permanent injury. Not necessarily so for what you mention.

Basically, I'd advise you take Goggins' advice with a grain of salt. If you train like you're trying to secure Hell Week, you've got a very good chance of ending up with another excuse that takes a while to heal.

OP
Virginian

Virginian

Lil-Rokslider
I agree that the mileage you mentioned seems like a lot. I recommend most people getting into endurance athletic "events" start out with a half marathon. If your physiology or technique isn't perfectly refined for ultras, you can still complete that distance without instigating a permanent injury. Not necessarily so for what you mention.

Basically, I'd advise you take Goggins' advice with a grain of salt. If you train like you're trying to secure Hell Week, you've got a very good chance of ending up with another excuse that takes a while to heal.

I'm use to putting in 40-60+ mile weeks chasing dogs in the mountains during bear season. I'm not necessarily worried about the miles more so my diet . I tend to eat anything and everything. I like Goggins but I think he's a bit of a BSer. My injury came from taking a reverse swan dive off a roof. I hope to never repeat that haha

WKR
Sounds like a good way to end a hunting season due to injury. It's all mental... until it isn't... and you're in the doctors office wondering why you did such a thing.

KHNC

WKR
probably should start Keto immediately. I hear its magical. Running Sucks! But it seems to be effective.

OXN939

WKR
I'm use to putting in 40-60+ mile weeks chasing dogs in the mountains during bear season. I'm not necessarily worried about the miles more so my diet . I tend to eat anything and everything. I like Goggins but I think he's a bit of a BSer. My injury came from taking a reverse swan dive off a roof. I hope to never repeat that haha

Unless you're running all of those miles during bear season, this is very different than what the thread initially proposes. When running, your body experiences vector forces that are 300% as severe as what you encounter when walking or hiking. I'm not trying to sound alarmist- just trying to look out.

One thing is for sure. You'll never do it if you listen to the people on this site.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk