Friendly reminder for those hunting in the wet conditions

Contractor trash bags, Ziplock bags, and a lightweight tarp.

Line the inside of your main compartment of your pack with a contractor bag to keep everything dry (this is why I prefer single compartment packs). Bring an extra one to keep wet stuff separate from your dry stuff.

Put items that are going in the lid of your pack ( or other pockets) in Ziplock bags.

When setting up camp first string up a lightweight tarp ( big enough to cover your tent and a little over the entrance or larger if you don’t mind the weight). And it is the last thing to come down when breaking camp. This keeps everything relatively dry and clean, you can put up and take down your tent out of the rain, and you won’t be packing the extra weight of a wet tent. Have it easily accessible to use when glassing or just taking a break ( also works for shade on hot trips).

Hope this helps.

Hondo0925

Lil-Rokslider
For a frame of reference, I’ve been out in the (SW CO) high country every single weekend this summer and my boots have been completely saturated every single weekend. I’ve worn gaiters more consistently this summer than I ever have and they too have been completely saturated every weekend.

expect an aggressive dew point in the mornings and a total condensation party for trap tents -lots of moisture coming off the ground.
😂 Same here poser! The dew in the mornings here in SW Colorado is intense! Boots to about mid thigh is soaked in about 30 minutes

11boo

WKR
What everyone said.

BUT, don't forget about your vehicle. Is that ready for the muddy slick mountain roads? Are you?
Work gloves and coveralls, tarp, shovel, chains just to name a few things.
Gad, not much worse than chaining up in the mud. Chains will absolutely change things for access too. Hook them up before you need them, like trying to climb a greasy hill with washouts.
Good call Olsolitare.

What everyone said.

BUT, don't forget about your vehicle. Is that ready for the muddy slick mountain roads? Are you?
Work gloves and coveralls, tarp, shovel, chains just to name a few things.
Man 3rd rifle 2019 got really sporty trying to leave through some twisty curvy uphill roads. It was great when everything was frozen and covered in snow, then it started getting hot and all hell broke loose.

Poser

WKR
Gad, not much worse than chaining up in the mud. Chains will absolutely change things for access too. Hook them up before you need them, like trying to climb a greasy hill with washouts.
Good call Olsolitare.

I’d suggest that before you resort to chains (and assuming 10 ply tires), air down your tires to 15-20 psi and rely on a larger surface area. Between that and a couple of traction boards, use 2Lo and rear lockers if you have them, should be little fear of getting stuck on an actual road.

11boo

WKR
Many things are decent roads when dry, or frozen. I might have made it out of this drainage with 4 chains, 2 was not enough. Lockers would have helped.

Went down in at sunrise, frozen road. Killed two cows, cut them up, loaded and tried to leave at 1400. It was a S facing muddy mess we nearly slid off a couple times. Backed down to here, made a big fire and ate dinner of fresh backstrap.
Hung out by the fire for a couple hours then went in the truck and slept till 0100.
Road had frozen up and we got right out.

B423F337-FA1D-4B8A-9340-6F4942A1F4E7.jpeg

Really re-thinking a down bag at this point. Might have to suck up the weight/size and take a synthetic bag.
It’s an intuitive concept, but I sure have read a lot of real world reviews that claim down is fine in wet conditions if you are mindful of it.

I don’t like having to give my gear special treatment, and it’s not very cold where I live and hunt mostly, so my slick bag fits my needs well, but my next bag will likely be a western mountaineer, mainly for longevity… my slick bag has lost loft in the 2 years I have used it

BDRam16

WKR
It’s an intuitive concept, but I sure have read a lot of real world reviews that claim down is fine in wet conditions if you are mindful of it.

I don’t like having to give my gear special treatment, and it’s not very cold where I live and hunt mostly, so my slick bag fits my needs well, but my next bag will likely be a western mountaineer, mainly for longevity… my slick bag has lost loft in the 2 years I have used it
My main concern is I almost always end up off my pad at least once a night. Can’t imagine laying on the wet ground for an hour before I wake up is going to last 16 days lol.

My main concern is I almost always end up off my pad at least once a night. Can’t imagine laying on the wet ground for an hour before I wake up is going to last 16 days lol.
I hear ya, and agree, but most who actually use a down bag in wet weather seem to claim it’s not a big thing, I can’t imagine it not being an issue, but I haven’t personally done it, and trust real world experience over my feelings on how things should be.

I also wonder how wet “wet” is to some people, and how much is “I just paid 600 bucks for this bag, so it can do no wrong”

I will be testing that theory when I buy a new bag, I just don’t like the shelf life of synthetic bags, they degrade pretty quick… I have probably lost 10 degrees of comfort in mine in 2 years

Extra pair of boots. My waterproof Merrill's might as well as been socks last year. Wet feet really can ruin every moment of every day.

All boots, rain gear and gaiters are not created equally…

I take wet weather preparation for granted I’m sure, grew up hunting the Oregon coast, it’s wet a lot, and the terrain and amount of rain you expect to encounter should be equated into your gear choices before buying.

There are very few models of rain gear that hold up at all for me, between everything having thorns, the density of the brush, and amount of rain I hunt in each year narrows my options a lot… as of now, kuiu by far makes the best rain gear for the money, I have high hopes for the new first lite omen, but only time will tell.

Boots are another big one, most don’t hold up long, and synthetic is going to have a short shelf life between the amount of moisture, and amount of miles… zamberlan are my favorite for longevity, and asolo are a solid sleeper in that regard.

Gaiters, for warmer weather, I like the kuiu kutana, for a do all gaiter, the kuiu Yukon are tough to beat, and for really bad weather, the peax gaiters are excellent, design is good, but they are warm, stiff and loud… not a big deal for the niche they fill.

Good gear makes being on scene no matter what a lot more enjoyable, and realistic… I don’t mind nasty weather, makes glassing tougher, but that can be overcome

I will take a cold windy downpour all day vs 90* any day, but I have adequate gear for nasty weather because it’s a common thing here… there is no gear that makes 90+ degrees enjoyable

You don’t run anything under your pad?

Ya but it’s not much wider than the pad itself. I am a roller lol. I’d end up out of the damn tent if I could manage it haha.
I’m the same way!
I just this past shed season decided to run a full size sheet of tyvek under my tipi, the weight different between three individual sheets (one under each pad) and one large sheet is a non issue. It’s very nice having no exposed ground, Keeps things dry, semi clean, and I don’t wake up with my face stuffed in the dirt.

BDRam16

WKR
I’m the same way!
I just this past shed season decided to run a full size sheet of tyvek under my tipi, the weight different between three individual sheets (one under each pad) and one large sheet is a non issue. It’s very nice having no exposed ground, Keeps things dry, semi clean, and I don’t wake up with my face stuffed in the dirt.
I found a tent footprint on closeout that is almost exactly twice the width of my pad I was planning on trying out this season. Gives me a place for my pack and boots that way too.

Socks, socks, and a few more pairs of socks
Every time Trail Kreitzer does a GoHunt gear video and says he brings only 1 pair of socks I want to yell through my laptop. My general rule is bring a pair for each day +1.

DWR wears out too so get a fresh application of Nikwax etc. for the trip.

Every time Trail Kreitzer does a GoHunt gear video and says he brings only 1 pair of socks I want to yell through my laptop. My general rule is bring a pair for each day +1.

DWR wears out too so get a fresh application of Nikwax etc. for the trip.
A pair for everyday is overkill if your backpacking. Two pairs is plenty, three if your feeling froggy.
With quality socks you can wear, wash on creek, hang on your pack to dry while wearing your second pair. Repeat this process daily.

aorams

Lil-Rokslider
For a frame of reference, I’ve been out in the (SW CO) high country every single weekend this summer and my boots have been completely saturated every single weekend. I’ve worn gaiters more consistently this summer than I ever have and they too have been completely saturated every weekend.

expect an aggressive dew point in the mornings and a total condensation party for trap tents -lots of moisture coming off the ground.
This. Bring a tent with two layers