Frist time pack buyer needing opinions.

Rmauch20

WKR
I am looking at buying my first pack and wanting some opinions on a couple. This would be primarily for an elk trip this fall that the details are still pending on. It’s a friend of a friend type deal but hopefully can make it work.
The first one is the Slumberjack Bounty 4500/2.0. My main concerns are comfort while under weight, durability, is 4500cubic inches large enough for a 5-7 day trip.
Second is the Eberlestock J34 Just one Pack. Same questions as above on this one. I do like the gun scabbard on this one a little better.
I have zero pack buying or pack experience and I understand both of these options are in the budget pack category.

You could do a 4500 but 5500 to 6000 would probably suit the 5-7 day time frame food alone will take up a lot of space. Id look in the classifieds here for the bulk of your gear , you can get quality stuff on a budget. Spend a little extra on a pack , along with boots and optics its one of the most important pieces you'll buy for these trips, i found out the hard way

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

boom

WKR
i went thru several packs trying to find what i liked.

for sure, you need attachment points for gear unusual for a regular backpack trip. for example..a weapon..or a leg off some elk. and if 4500 isnt big enough, you attach a pouch to the outside.

i agree. food is the bulkiest crap. that takes up a lot of space, but the good thing is you're eating it and not carrying it out. i do know as a newb, that was the time when my stuff was the bulkiest and the heaviest..:)

good luck. i like that Eberlestock.

I have been using the j34 for 2 years now and have liked it other than there really isn't much room for stuff inside the pack (if you plan on using the expandable part for meat). Any extras other than day pack kind of stuff gets strapped on the back, which puts weight out there a ways, but doable. Have done a few two nighters with it, and lots of one nighters.

The torso length is adjustable, but the longer you adjust it, the less effective the load lifters are....Pack fits me great and is very comfortable,but I have a fairly short torso.

oldgoat

WKR
You have some time, I'd personally look for a while for a higher end pack used on the classifieds in the price range you were going for. The older and or less fit you are, the more you need to spend on your pack. Also, how far in away from the truck comes into play, the farther in you go the better and bigger your pack needs to be if you get something down and need to pack it out in a hurry in as few of trips as you can if weather is seeing in or you have to get home. I don't usually go in more than a mile and set up camp so it's no biggy to make extra trips to make a comfortable camp or resupply mid hunt etc..

4ester

WKR
I will second what oldgoat just said. Find you a used quality pack. Some used Stone Glaciers for a good price have been popping up since the new frame has been released.

I would skip the Eberlestock. They are nice packs, but they are heavy, don't carry weight as well as some others. Buy one pack that you can use for everything (daypack & meat hauler).

7mag.

WKR
Packing out an elk is nothing to take lightly. I don't know your budget or how far you're packing in, but for elk, your pack and boots are the most important pieces of gear. Don't skimp.

oldgoat

WKR
There's a bikini frame for $225 on classifieds, just have to make sure belt size will work but those can be horse traded and switched out. Then watch for a used bag, every time Kifaru comes out with a new bag, people put up one for sale, add a couple of pockets and you have a life time pack. It may sound like a lot of coin but if purchased at right price this time of year, you can get all or most of your money back reselling it in August right before elk season. Modular packs are great, you can add a little at a time as the coin or deals become available

• Banned
OP
R

Rmauch20

WKR
I wanted to stay under $300.00 mark but after looking around I am shooting for 400ish that seems to open up a lot more options. In the new packs Kuiu ultra 3000/6000 and Outdoorsmans optics hunter. I wasn't sure what to look for on the used packs or how to tell if one is used up/broken down . I will keep a eye one the classifieds for the SG, MR, Kifaru.

I would definitely be looking more towards the 6000+ packs for your needs. If you end up not needing all that space you can strap them down. Always better to have too much space as opposed to not enough. Just my .02

I wanted to stay under $300.00 mark but after looking around I am shooting for 400ish that seems to open up a lot more options. In the new packs Kuiu ultra 3000/6000 and Outdoorsmans optics hunter. I wasn't sure what to look for on the used packs or how to tell if one is used up/broken down . I will keep a eye one the classifieds for the SG, MR, Kifaru.

I have no grudge against Kuiu as some do here . But ill state that i found the Ultra an awesome pack up to 45 maybe 50 lbs . Anything over it was bad . So much that i opted to take a Kelty pack instead of it on my last hunt. The kuiu was an older model 2015 i believe they've changed a bit

Trial153

WKR
If your looking at the ultra, seriously consider the icon pro over it. It's better pack with weight any day of the week then the ultra.