From Maine

Been lurking a while, finally got registered. Not much of a poster or commenter but I’ll try to help where I can with actual hands on experience or knowledge. Been rifle hunting since I was old enough to do so, bow hunting on and off for about 13 years but only really seriously for the past 4 or 5. Just switched over to trad and sold my compound, I’m all in with trad gear this year. I primarily hunt bear and deer, and tag along on moose hunts when I can, but have only been drawn once. I live in eastern Maine, work in the outdoors and enjoy weightlifting, training and tinkering with bow and arrow setups for myself and my sons.

eddielasvegas

WKR & Chairman of the Rokslide Welcoming Committee
Classified Approved
As the self-appointed chairman of the welcoming committee, it is my privilege to extend a laurel, and hearty handshake (virtual, of course) to our new member.

Eddie

ODgreen

FNG
New guy here also thought I would chime in, like you I’ve been lurking for along time. My story is very similar to yours but I’m from south central Alaska, I’ve been hunting western big game since I can remember and have been very into archer my whole life.
I am intrigued by your decision to go all in with traditional archery, please keep us posted and share your learning experience going from compound to Trad.
I will say this site has been my go to as of lately for lightweight gear suggestion, I drew a Tok management early season sheep tag this year and have been gearing up since, quality lightweight gear is not cheep so I’ve been doing a lot of research before I spend my $$, this site has been helpful with some honest reviews from real world users.

OP
Twentyone86
New guy here also thought I would chime in, like you I’ve been lurking for along time. My story is very similar to yours but I’m from south central Alaska, I’ve been hunting western big game since I can remember and have been very into archer my whole life.
I am intrigued by your decision to go all in with traditional archery, please keep us posted and share your learning experience going from compound to Trad.
I will say this site has been my go to as of lately for lightweight gear suggestion, I drew a Tok management early season sheep tag this year and have been gearing up since, quality lightweight gear is not cheep so I’ve been doing a lot of research before I spend my $$, this site has been helpful with some honest reviews from real world users.
Well, my journey to trad is kind of a strange one. I always had a compound and I’ve killed bears with it but I just always took my rifle when it was time to hunt deer. A couple of years ago, I lost my vision in my right eye, right before hunting season. I quickly figured out that I could shoot a pistol right handed/left eye and I didn’t have to relearn shooting left handed with just a few days before hunting season. I hunted that whole fall with Encore pistols, a 45X209 and a 7mm-08. I killed a small deer with two days left with the 45X209. About 8 months later, my Doctor told me there was a chance I’d never get my vision back in my right eye. I had been putting off shooting my bow, hoping I would have my vision back in about a year and could just go right back to my right handed Triax. A few days after he told me that, I sold my bow and bought a left handed Torrex(the only left handed bow any bow shop had in stock near me)and started relearning archery. I realized how much I missed shooting my bow, even just target practicing. So after a few months, I felt confident enough to hunt with my bow. I hunted all archery and rifle season with my bow, figuring since I’d gone through all the trouble of relearning archery, I should put it to use. At the same time I was getting into more mobile hunting, instead of hunting the same few stands over and over. I had a good encounter with probably the biggest buck I’ve ever had even in rifle range, at about 20 yards but couldn’t get a shot. I wasn’t even upset, I was just thrilled to get that close and have the buck never know I was there.
Another year later, I still can’t see out of my right eye and I picked up a recurve to see if it was something that I’d like. I love it. It’s a challenge, but it’s much more rewarding than the compound for me. Plus, I’m a wicked tinkerer, and if I was having a bad day with my compound I could almost always find something to blame it on. With the stick, it’s me(it was with the compound, too). It just takes away the frustration and temptation of adjusting something if I’m having a bad day.
Now it’s really about challenging myself and seeing what exactly I can accomplish one-eyed and wrong handed. I am feeling almost as confident with my recurve now as I was with my compound last fall and I’ve got 3 months left to train until bear season opens. At this point, even if I do get my right eye back, I’ll probably stick to shooting left handed. I’ve got a decent recurve and another on the way and I don’t feel the least bit handicapped by shooting left handed now.

ODgreen

FNG
Wow! What a story I can’t imagine losing vision in an eye and having the motivation and self discipline to relearn archery left handed. The comment about tinkering and finding something to blame on your compound is something I struggle with as well, Trad would fix that complex pretty quick. I might give it a try. Thanks for sharing your story.