From the field to taxidermist

OP
Just an update.

The hunt was a success. I have no illusion's of this being the biggest, and best buck out there, but Im happy with it. Ive never seen a double drop tine buck, in my life, much less put a bullet in one.

Capping the face was for the birds. It took me an hour. Getting around the eyes was 40 minutes of that, but it got done, and I dropped it off at the taxidermist, and he said it got done right, so thats all that matters. Thanks for all your help guys.

Erict

WKR
Congrats! Quite a selection of knives (and a screwdriver) to get the job done. You may find that a Havalon type scalpel knife with replaceable blades really handy the next time. A short piece of coathanger type wire can help pull out the brains. You may also find it easier to do the lips first, not last. Good luck with the mount.

mt100gr.

WKR
Just an update.

The hunt was a success. I have no illusion's of this being the biggest, and best buck out there, but Im happy with it. Ive never seen a double drop tine buck, in my life, much less put a bullet in one.

Capping the face was for the birds. It took me an hour. Getting around the eyes was 40 minutes of that, but it got done, and I dropped it off at the taxidermist, and he said it got done right, so thats all that matters. Thanks for all your help guys.

Good work. The next one will be easier and you'll start to find an order of operations and little "moves" that work for you. I'd recommend taking any opportunity to skin a skull that comes along. Even if the critter is only going to be a skull cap in the barn.

OP
Congrats! Quite a selection of knives (and a screwdriver) to get the job done. You may find that a Havalon type scalpel knife with replaceable blades really handy the next time. A short piece of coathanger type wire can help pull out the brains. You may also find it easier to do the lips first, not last. Good luck with the mount.

I used 5 total (including the havalon). I brought a bunch because I really didn't know what would work best. The Havalon worked well, but I had a small stainless knive that came with my buck knive set that seamed to work best for me. I do think next go round ill start on the lips.

I definitely learned out of the 5 knives I took, 3 can stay home next go round. The big black knive in the pic is my knive to debone. It just happened to be on the tail gate.