Front Arrow Weight

sndmn11

WKR
If you damage any Cutthroats they have a warranty, if you lose them all it might be a hint to spend more time practicing. Adding mass behind the insert will not result in the same dynamic spine as the mass being at the end of the insert, so please take the time to make the needed adjustments before flinging at game.

OP
SlickStickSlinger

SlickStickSlinger

Lil-Rokslider
I dont have time to send them in before the elk trip if something were to happen.

I shoot at least 10 arrows in my basement every day. Usually I make it out to the range to shoot.

Shooting them is a risk I dont want to take.

I plan on giving the "new" arrow setup a test run before using them.

Appreciate your concern. 👍

Also, I'm not afraid of losing them all. I dont want to lose one. Say I shoot, hit and get the opportunity for a second shot. Lose one, dull/damage one. That would put me in a tough position because I dont have time to send one in and get it back before I leave for the elk hunting trip. Then I'd be going out with one optimal broadhead for elk hunting. I'd rather go down this other road to ensure I have all three. And like I said, this gives me and opportunity to tinker with arrow weight and FOC down the road before I decide which weight broadhead and arrow spine to buy for next time.

Last edited:
OP
SlickStickSlinger

SlickStickSlinger

Lil-Rokslider
If you damage any Cutthroats they have a warranty, if you lose them all it might be a hint to spend more time practicing. Adding mass behind the insert will not result in the same dynamic spine as the mass being at the end of the insert, so please take the time to make the needed adjustments before flinging at game.

I dont know why I didnt think about this earlier. I can throw these weights into the same 250 spine arrows. The dynamic spine remains the same.

No worries sndmn11!!

sndmn11

WKR
I dont know why I didnt think about this earlier. I can throw these weights into the same 250 spine arrows. The dynamic spine remains the same.

No worries sndmn11!!

The dynamic spine changes when adding the fact weights because you are shortening the length of flexible shaft. Your nodes will be closer together and moved back towards the nock. Even though you might use the same shaft, it will behave stiffer than without the fact weights. Additionally removing mass from the broadhead, where it applies the most force by being at the end of the lever, and presumably shortening that lever has the same result of the shaft behaving stiffer.
You are not making a one for one exchange.

The dynamic spine changes when adding the fact weights because you are shortening the length of flexible shaft. Your nodes will be closer together and moved back towards the nock. Even though you might use the same shaft, it will behave stiffer than without the fact weights. Additionally removing mass from the broadhead, where it applies the most force by being at the end of the lever, and presumably shortening that lever has the same result of the shaft behaving stiffer.
You are not making a one for one exchange.
All true, but what's the practical effect? Would the change in dynamic spine be significant enough to change your shaft choice and/or appreciably affect broadhead POI? If I still had access to OnTarget2 or Archer's Advantage, I'd play around with those factors and see if it changed the static spine recommendation.

sndmn11

WKR
All true, but what's the practical effect? Would the change in dynamic spine be significant enough to change your shaft choice and/or appreciably affect broadhead POI? If I still had access to OnTarget2 or Archer's Advantage, I'd play around with those factors and see if it changed the static spine recommendation.

No clue, that is why I asked him to please take the time to make the needed adjustments. A lot would depend on how long that shaft is, and how forgiving his set up is. Understanding that there is a difference is the first step, and shooting them is the second step. I would bet the difference is noticed past 30 yards with broadhead tuning, but would not need a new spined shaft.

A decade or so ago, the brass insert high FOC craze ran through traditional archery, and folks took a long time to figure out that lengthening the insert to add mass was very very different than adding it in at the tip.

No clue, that is why I asked him to please take the time to make the needed adjustments. A lot would depend on how long that shaft is, and how forgiving his set up is. Understanding that there is a difference is the first step, and shooting them is the second step. I would bet the difference is noticed past 30 yards with broadhead tuning, but would not need a new spined shaft.

A decade or so ago, the brass insert high FOC craze ran through traditional archery, and folks took a long time to figure out that lengthening the insert to add mass was very very different than adding it in at the tip.
I'd bet that shifting 100 gr from in front of the insert to behind it while keeping TAW constant won't have an appreciable effect on broadhead POI, but I agree that it's always good practice to take some test shots after making any changes, even if they seem like minor changes.

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
I'd bet that shifting 100 gr from in front of the insert to behind it while keeping TAW constant won't have an appreciable effect on broadhead POI, but I agree that it's always good practice to take some test shots after making any changes, even if they seem like minor changes.

I agree with this. I wouldn't bet that 1/4" shink in dynamic carbon would have much of an affect. On my setup it takes my dynamic spine from 307 to 309 by shrinking the carbon length by 1/4" Im not 100% sure it is effectivly changing the length of the dynamic spine that much either.

Still a good idea to shoot it in though.

Could possibly order fact weights for .204 instead. Probably not as durable, might be they need the sides of the shaft to remain concentric.

I doubt the difference in spine is going to amount to much. When shooting broadheads you want to be stiff anyways. If he was borderline weak and had it tuned maybe. Stiff and add more stiff won't matter.

OP
SlickStickSlinger

SlickStickSlinger

Lil-Rokslider
What billy said is what I've been thinking.

But because of the conversation, I'm going to group the 200g field point vs the 100g/100g field/FACT weights at 50. If the thought is the shot will change beyond 30, I'll give it plus 20 to see. Hell, I'll even take pictures. Science 👍

sndmn11

WKR
What billy said is what I've been thinking.

But because of the conversation, I'm going to group the 200g field point vs the 100g/100g field/FACT weights at 50. If the thought is the shot will change beyond 30, I'll give it plus 20 to see. Hell, I'll even take pictures. Science 👍

I would love to see what the real world result is, and am glad to see you are going to test.

I do still think the best solution would be to buy another pack of broadheads and be out $55 and zero time in tuning.