Front brake is hanging up even after calliper replaced

Elite

WKR
Front brake is hanging up?

I bought a used rav 4 and the guy said there was a front end noise so I took the wheels off and found the passenger side brake looked to be hanging up and it looked like the calliper piston was seized so I installed a new complete calliper and brake pads and the noise is still there and it looks to be dragging again? Could the original rotor be bent bad enough it’s hanging up? What am I missing? Brake pad retainer clips installed wrong?
0eb192712ea6f3bed752d08ffadcff91.jpg

556efae118526e3078c9916a0e8e1b3b.jpg

5fc82725dcd8bc96326787a79c08a137.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ODB

WKR
Wow. That’s amazing. Are you sure the rotors are the proper spec for the car?
It looks like the rotor is hitting the caliper body itself. I can’t think of any error in installation that would cause that. It looks like the rotor is well off-center of the caliper.

have you had the other side off to compare?

OP
Elite

Elite

WKR
Wow. That’s amazing. Are you sure the rotors are the proper spec for the car?
It looks like the rotor is hitting the caliper body itself. I can’t think of any error in installation that would cause that.

have you had the other side off to compare?

That’s a good thought, seems like the correct sized rotor with how the new calliper and pads went on, driver side looks perfect,

ODB

WKR
Is there any appreciable wear on the other pad? Looks like brand new almost.

Almost seems like a mounting bracket got put in backwards. That caliber riding the rotor is way wrong. The threads are on the caliper like the bracket mounts on the outside.

It's either wrong rotors or incorrect order of installing.

Could be they are rotors for abs on a non abs vehicle, but he'll past 25 years I don't think they have made non abs.

OP
Elite

Elite

WKR
Is there any appreciable wear on the other pad? Looks like brand new almost.

I’m thinking the guy just put new brakes in by how they look

Reactions: ODB
OP
Elite

Elite

WKR
Almost seems like a mounting bracket got put in backwards. That caliber riding the rotor is way wrong. The threads are on the caliper like the bracket mounts on the outside.

It's either wrong rotors or incorrect order of installing.

You’re referring to the mounting bracket for the rotor ? The part the rotor bolts to?

Is it possible to install that wrong? Wouldn’t the holes be put on the wrong side of the hub if it was backwards?

Some vehicles have brackets that are bolted to a hub a that then mount the caliper.

I'm not that familiar with the vehicle you have, I know it's IFS not solid, so it's possible on the hub assembly it has a bracket that mounts the caliper, if it was somehow reassembled in the wrong orientation after disassembly, it could be holding the caliper too far out on the rotor.

One thing is certain, that caliper is making contact with the rotor, and that shouldn't be happening.

Hoghead

WKR
Check for a bad hub bearing. If it's bad enough to hit the mounting bracket don't drive it until it's replaced. Is there any pulling while driving? I would think if the front pad was wearing it would pull to that side. I have seen a rubber brake line collapse internally and hold pressure like the brake was applied.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

OP
Elite

Elite

WKR
Check for a bad hub bearing. If it's bad enough to hit the mounting bracket don't drive it until it's replaced. Is there any pulling while driving? I would think if the front pad was wearing it would pull to that side. I have seen a rubber brake line collapse internally and hold pressure like the brake was applied.

Bearing seemed tight it had no play in the wheel, I am wondering if some how the bracket where the calliper mounts to got bent?

Hoghead

WKR
Looking at the pictures again it looks like there is still pad left. I would definitely check the hub bearing and ball joints.

OP
Elite

Elite

WKR
Looking at the pictures again it looks like there is still pad left. I would definitely check the hub bearing and ball joints.

Yes the guy just did the brakes in it apparently and it all looked new

Hoghead

WKR
Bearing seemed tight it had no play in the wheel, I am wondering if some how the bracket where the calliper mounts to got bent?

It would have to get hit pretty hard. How did you check the hub bearing. I was thinking the ball joints won't cause that the hole spindle would move.

OP
Elite

Elite

WKR
It would have to get hit pretty hard. How did you check the hub bearing. I was thinking the ball joints won't cause that the hole spindle would move.

Just checked for play in the wheel by rocking it back and fourth, Wonder if it hit a pot hole or someone replaced a bearing and bent the calliper mount when pressing a bearing?

Hoghead

WKR
Jack it up with the tire off the ground grab the top and bottom of the tire then push the top in and bottom out then switch there should be no play. I pm you you can call me in the morning.

OP
Elite

Elite

WKR
One thing to add is this is on the passenger side but when I turn left the grinding noise stops?